Best place to buy 0806

I thought the current 0806 mount already has a micro USB port. Is the extra connection on the parking guard mount something different than this? Also, is it known whether future batches will include the parking guard mount as a standard accessory (perhaps replacing the current mount) or whether it will have to be purchased separately?
The current 0806 mount already has two micro USB port!

I think the parking guard mount is designed to be hardwired to permanent 12 volt power so I guess most people will still want the standard one that they can plug into their switched lighter sockets/usb 5 volt sockets, thus the parking guard mount will have to be an optional alternative and also available separately as an accessory/upgrade. Maybe it will replace the standard hardwire kit, I don't see the need for both options.

The current 0806 mount already has two micro USB port!

I think the parking guard mount is designed to be hardwired to permanent 12 volt power so I guess most people will still want the standard one that they can plug into their switched lighter sockets/usb 5 volt sockets, thus the parking guard mount will have to be an optional alternative and also available separately as an accessory/upgrade. Maybe it will replace the standard hardwire kit, I don't see the need for both options.

Ok thanks. I also thought that using the hardwire kit and this parking guard mount would be redundant. I guess we'll have to see what happens with this later.

Joovuu's web site had issues and they were unable to process USA orders.
It's back up now and they informed me they will be shipping my 0806 out tomorrow.

They have been pretty responsive to my questions so far.

Joovoo never shipped my camera.
They helpfully changed my status from 'Complete' (on 2/4) back down to 'processing' on 2/21.
So who knows when I'll get my camera. Bleah.

Joovoo never shipped my camera.
They helpfully changed my status from 'Complete' (on 2/4) back down to 'processing' on 2/21.
So who knows when I'll get my camera. Bleah.

Starting to wonder if they are doing the same to me. They supposedly finally shipped mine out on the 23rd and told me I'd have a tracking number. Still no tracking number, so not too optimistic I'll get one. I ordered from JooVuu.com/us but apparently there is a Joovuu.com/usa which is different. Anyone order from either of these 2 Joovuu branches? Is one fulfilled in the US and the other in the UK? I don't get why there are two completely different sites.

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 4.05.20 PM.png

Starting to wonder if they are doing the same to me. They supposedly finally shipped mine out on the 23rd and told me I'd have a tracking number. Still no tracking number, so not too optimistic I'll get one. I ordered from JooVuu.com/us but apparently there is a Joovuu.com/usa which is different. Anyone order from either of these 2 Joovuu branches? Is one fulfilled in the US and the other in the UK? I don't get why there are two completely different sites.

View attachment 11381
Mine was supposedly dispatched on the 24th, and my status was changed to 'Shipped'.
I'm not at home right now, and can't check till monday. I don't have a tracking number. I never asked for one, but it's weird to not have one.

Having different UK/usa sites is fairly normal (amazon and ebay do it, for example). Having a /us that is different from /usa is a bit odd though.
seems like /us is an old site. I'll post when I get my camera (which better be soon)

- Frank

Mine was supposedly dispatched on the 24th, and my status was changed to 'Shipped'.
I'm not at home right now, and can't check till monday. I don't have a tracking number. I never asked for one, but it's weird to not have one.

Having different UK/usa sites is fairly normal (amazon and ebay do it, for example). Having a /us that is different from /usa is a bit odd though.
seems like /us is an old site. I'll post when I get my camera (which better be soon)

- Frank
As a followup, I did indeed receive my package via USPS on friday, 2/27.

- Frank

Buy the Xiaomi 16000 from GearBest for $29 (there may be coupon). Then at least you know you will be getting a real 16000 and LG or Samsung cells. The cheaper ones have crappy cells and exageratted capacity.
Received the power bank last week.
30,000 is highly over exaggerated.
It took over 8 hours to fully charge from zero using my 2.1 A home charger so rough calculation will make it 8 x 2000 mAh = 16000.
However, it's not even that much.
My Note II has 3100 mAh battery and I tested it and it hardly is enough for two full charges while the Note is on so it takes more than 3100 mAh for each charge instead of charging when it is completely off.
So I'm assuming it's around 10,000 at most.
The output amp is decent. The phone's battery charged when it was being used so it does provide good output.
Not bad for $13.

I ordered a Xiaomi battery from GearBest, so I will report when it arrives. There is a coupon (xm16000) for the 16000mAh making it $24.99 or the 10400mAh for $15.88 (coupon: xmbank) making them a good deal since we know they use LG or Samsung Batteries inside. They're much cheaper than the Ankers on Amazon.

I had previously bought 2 cheap USB batteries and one swelled up while charging, so I'm weary about cheap batteries.

I ordered a Xiaomi battery from GearBest, so I will report when it arrives. There is a coupon (xm16000) for the 16000mAh making it $24.99 or the 10400mAh for $15.88 (coupon: xmbank) making them a good deal since we know they use LG or Samsung Batteries inside. They're much cheaper than the Ankers on Amazon.

I had previously bought 2 cheap USB batteries and one swelled up while charging, so I'm weary about cheap batteries.
It's charging without issue so far.
Will need to put on a fire proof / resistant surface while charging unattended but I do that with any battery anyways.
You know even iPhone battery exploded just last week so it's always a good thing to charge them on a rack or metal something that can handle heat.

It's charging without issue so far.
Will need to put on a fire proof / resistant surface while charging unattended but I do that with any battery anyways.
You know even iPhone battery exploded just last week so it's always a good thing to charge them on a rack or metal something that can handle heat.
Remember the the important thing to do is NOT breathe in that gas. Yes any quality batteries can explode, it's just the percentage of cheap vs quality that have exploded. Stay with quality, if for nothing else, longevity.

Players of Ingress have weeded out many of the more dubious claims by battery manufacturers. Here's a good summary from a reddit thread on the topic:

Right, external batteries.

You care about the battery's capacity, it's output current and the way it's wired. I'll explain.

1) Capacity is obvious, you don't want an external battery that only lasts three hours. Get a 5000 mAH battery. Or more. More is good.

2) Output current. The Nexus 4's charger puts out 1.2 amps. Most Android phones need 1A. Tablets are higher. The external battery's output needs to be high enough for your device.

3) Wiring. This is a bit complicated, and there's usually no way to know if a charger is a winner without buying it and trying it out.

You see, Android devices use micro-USB ports to charge. This means a device will sometimes be plugged into a charger, and sometimes be connected to a computer. So it needs to follow the limits in the USB spec unless it's really sure it's connected to a charger, otherwise it might burn out your PC's USB ports.

I think the USB spec says that you're allowed to pull 100mA from a USB port. If a device wants more current, it needs to identify itself, request more power and be approved by the USB controller.

Most (all?) Android devices look to see if the data pins are connected together. This is the signal that tells your phone that it's plugged into a charger and it's okay to pull twice what a computer's USB ports can provide.

Go in to Settings --> Battery. If it says "Charging (USB)", your charger isn't wired right and your phone is trickle charging. It'll slowly go flat while running Ingress. You want it to say "Charging (AC)".

You can hack or make a cable to fake the joined-data-pins thing Android phones look for. Be aware that you are defeating a safety measure designed to prevent your phone from blowing up computer USB ports, so you need to be careful what you use the modified cable to plug your phone in to.

My Anker Astro 3E works great, but only if I use the 'Android' port. The other one only trickle charges my Galaxy Nexus.​

Those huge mAh claims are (at best) made when charging at a voltage much lower than the standard; other times they're just outright lying. Without sounding like a stooge for the brand, Anker does have some beefy battery packs - myself and many others can attest to just how long run in the field. I'd be concerned about the impact of high temperatures in a car though - even when not in use, many batteries will swell and fail in high temperatures unless they've been designed to cope with them.

Should this have its own thread? Are we talking about using a battery pack between the car battery and the camera, as part of parking guard or something? Not sure just how derailed this is.. :)

Should this have its own thread? Are we talking about using a battery pack between the car battery and the camera, as part of parking guard or something? Not sure just how derailed this is.. :)
Yes it should.
As far as specs, it's similar to A/V receivers that claim 1000w but when you read the specs properly, it's when only one channel run at a time with peak/dynamic watts.
So basically, 1000w 7-ch receiver is hardly total 140 w. :D

Just buy from http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/
Just good service and fast delivery. No issues like with many 'internetshops' around.
Maybe not the very cheapest, but you get it - and fast. So rather pay a few dollars more for security.

If you're in Canada/US, a great store to buy the Mini 0806 from is www.blackboxed.ca.
Surprisingly, they've kept their prices very competitive with Chinese sellers.
You don't have to wait for them to ship it from China either.

If you're in Canada/US, a great store to buy the Mini 0806 from is www.blackboxed.ca.
Surprisingly, they've kept their prices very competitive with Chinese sellers.
You don't have to wait for them to ship it from China either.

Thank you for recommending us. We really appreciate it!

Kelvin

Back