Best quality and durability, but no frills?

Thats fine for surveillance from a stationary car, try to drive at that zoom level, that will be about as walking with 1 eye closed while you with the other eye look thru a straw to navigate.
If you look at this video of mine you will see 30 X optical zoon in action while driving on a fairly good Danish highway

What does nogen fartkontrol mean? :smuggrin:
(@ 40 seconds)

The zoom seemed to work pretty decently.

For the same reasons that we are required to have license plates on our vehicles!
I guess I look at it differently. I am more concerned about protecting myself then punishing the other party. When a push comes to shove, a video will suffice to demonstrate who is at fault. The insurance will take care of the rest. Here in Ontario we have a no-fault insurance. Own insurance pays for all. You just need to show you are not at fault so you aren't on the hook for deductible and rate increase. In the US, when there is no other party (hit and run), own insurance will pay as well, minus deductible, depending on company. If no hit and run, you can just take a pic with your phone.

I don't think this is actually true. I have two dual dashcams, a mini 0906 and a Viofo A129 and they both appear to be better quality and more reliable than their single channel predecessors.

In the case of the 0906 it does not suffer the well known battery problems of the 0806, because it is using the new technology of super capacitors.
It also doesn't suffer from melted plastic mounts, the lesson was learned and the mount now uses high temperature plastics.
Both cameras are using the next generation of processor which is improved, less power hungry, lower heat production.
Both have a new generation of lenses compared to their predecessor for improved image quality.
A lot of lessons from the previous generation have been learned and the cameras improved.

The only argument I can see for two being more reliable is that if one was to fail, or it's memory card or it's power supply, then the other single camera would keep going, but when I had single cameras I rarely checked the memory card in the rear camera, I think I'm a lot more likely to notice a problem with just the one camera to check and then get it sorted quickly, and of course with only half the cameras there is only half as much to go wrong, with the exception of an extra sensor.

I see. I haven't been keeping up with the new products as my Mobius cams serving me just fine. I see your point but I find more comfort in more separate cams. I guess it's a personal preference more than anything else.

fartkontrol mean

The little town he blast thru at 80 km/h ( assumed ) that often have a cop parked there is his automated speed trap.

Fart kontrol ( speed check ) is one thing The Simpsons make fun off in one of the latest aired episodes where they visit Denmark to get free heltcare for grandpa Simpson.
untitled-9.jpg

The municipality of Frederiksberg in Copenhagen do have som resemblance with Mr. Burns it seem.
frb_mr_burns.jpg

Totally seen that Simpsons episode within the last couple of months. Definitely must be why fart kontrol struck a funny bone.
Thanks

loool @ the Burns similarity, I can totally see it.

Looking for the best possible video quality. I looked at the Blackvue DR900 and was not impressed with the video quality, which worries me because it seems to be one of the most expensive options.

Let's say no limit on price. As the title says, my asks are:

- The BEST video quality. I want to be able to read license plates in motion easily.
- Durable. Something that isn't going to die in a year from the harsh Midwest heat and cold.
- I do not care about any other features. Not multiple channels, GPS, Wi-Fi, LCD screens, voice commands, collision alert, stealth form factor... None of that junk!

I have searched and am struggling to find anything like this. Am I a weirdo for wanting these things? I just want a dash cam that does one thing and does it well. I'm starting to think that the only option is a police dash cam.
How about an Opia 2? I just ordered one for myself since I needed all the same things that you listed. Plus, Vico has great customer support from what I've read.

Back