BlackVue Wi-Fi 2-Channel DR550GW-2CH

Thanks, I did in fact read through it and to my understanding it's all about bitrate. I just don't see how everyone's camera is recording poorly in the rear, meanwhile the videos pittasoft has on YouTube previewing the same camera looks crystal clear...
Its because they have a modified firmware (software) on the demonstration version to woo you then they throttle back.

Its a bit like going out in a real Ferrari driving at 200 Mile an hour and then buying one from the same seller that's identical but they have put a speed limiter on it so you can only drive at 5 mile an hour and none of the functions like radio or lights are working...

That is so ridiculously stupid. They seriously need to get it together. Im assuming there aren't any custom firmwares around?

On top of that, i still feel like my rear is worse than some peoples that have posted on youtube. Waiting on a red light with a car directly standing behind you couldn't even read the license plate...

Last edited:
That is so ridiculously stupid. They seriously need to get it together. Im assuming there aren't any custom firmwares around?

On top of that, i still feel like my rear is worse than some peoples that have posted on youtube. Waiting on a red light with a car directly standing behind you couldn't even read the license plate...
The Russian sites are making a custom firmware I have not looked but think they have created one. if you look in this forum the post for custom firmware is in Russian English...

As for the rear camera, If you have had 2 cameras you may have to adjust the mounting location to not have a heated screen line or to have a clean rear screen, it will "try" to focus on the nearest thing. Unfortunately I cant see your camera so don't know why its not working. I have also had one replacement wish now I had just got a refund.

Sorry Jokiin I Assumed the reason was the same reason given for the front camera to me.

I was told by my BlackVue seller the reason mine was focused close up and not seeing registration numbers clearly at a slight distance was due to the angle of the camera due to me being in the 4x4 and having lots of bonnet.
The camera was focusing on my bonnet instead of the road. If I aimed it up the dark areas were too dark to see much at all due to too much bright sky...

Vehicle type will have an impact on the auto exposure and white balance rather than the focus

Lost in translation perhaps

Possible. I have noticed that my camera "seems" more out of focus when I am driving, but I know that's more to do with the Bitrate not being able to record all pixels and there for "spreading" them out. It is such a pity as the camera is so clear when your parked up in the car park and you can see every persons face and registration numbers crystal clear.

Anyway Jokiin, When are you bringing out a Dual Camera system 30fps full HD with a box under the dash to record the footage, so if some criminal rips the camera out the box with the footage on is still in the car.

You could even put two memory slots in one for the front one for the rear. that way if the footage you want is only on the front camera you only have to remove one card...

Please bring it out. It would be the top camera with in weeks Internationally.

Anyway Jokiin, When are you bringing out a Dual Camera system 30fps full HD with a box under the dash to record the footage, so if some criminal rips the camera out the box with the footage on is still in the car.

You could even put two memory slots in one for the front one for the rear. that way if the footage you want is only on the front camera you only have to remove one card...

thinking of doing something like this actually ;)

I guess Im gonna have to just try to position it different and see if hopefully something will be clearer.

Gotta find that custom firmware forum.

You guys are all awesome help!!
Better than the Blackvue people who replied to my email just apologizing for the troubles of crappy recording and tell me they have no solutions. Nice.

with CPL filter against the sun:
download original video: http://yadi.sk/d/gKDdSaxtGwSv9

alexsoll How do you have a crisp clean image, I can see windows and make out cars clearly, my camera is just a blur at those speeds. is that the custom firmware...

У вас есть четкое чистое изображение,
Я вижу, окна и автомобили ясно, моя камера просто размытие на таких скоростях. является то, что обычай прошивки ...

Just in case you speak Belarusian
Як у вас ёсць дакладнае чысты малюнак, я бачу, вокны і разабраць аўтамабілі ясна, мая камера проста размыццё на такіх хуткасцях. з'яўляецца тое, што звычай прашыўкі ...

I must admit that I have some concerns about the power magic pro.
As my car is having a diesel engine and the 12v switch is to low.
This morning after 8hr I found my car with a flat battery.
The ups was set to 12v so I assume it switched off as the led of the ups was off.
But there wasn't enough power to get the start motor working.

So far parking mode, as I removed the power magic pro after work.
This weekend I will do some tests on my battery.
But also see if the ups has some leak current.

(Beamed from my Elegancia™ powered HTC M7 using Tapatalk)

Just a new member with a 550 working for driving but not yet for parking. You've mentioning UPS for the MagicPro while I assumed this to be a switching device with a timer? I'm presently looking at a 'clever' way of adding a UPS unit based on a PICO-UPS device together with a small lead battery. I'm also considering to integrate it into my home automation to automaticaly switch-off when home. Would love to see you eleaborate on your UPS mentioning.

My car has a Golf cart sized Sealed lead acid battery, in the boot. A smaller one would do as these cameras really don't drain this one. I have a 200Amp relay under the bonnet and a kill switch in the boot to turn off the power at both ends while say swapping battery's or something. The 200 amp relay is switched to the on position with power from the alternator output signal wire this is the thin wire that tells the car the power is coming from the alternator. A 90 Amp Fuse at both ends.

I have then got a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket and wired that into the center of the car to run my cameras on. this is a 3 way one with a USB port for added measure.

I do have a load of other feeds but some are using 3 relays to change where the feed comes in and where it goes depending on if the engine is running or not if my horn or lights are on or off.

Thanks Peter!

I've just ordered a PicoUPS-120-ATV, a small yet powerful UPS to support the parking mode. The idea is that the lead battery, as an auxiliary battery, is supporting that mode when parking. The PicoUPS will switch from the primary car battery when ignition is switched-off, to the auxiliary battery. In the first iteration a toggle-switch will be set to 'ON' when leaving the house and 'OFF' when arriving home. The second iteration is to make this automatically by integrating it to my home automation project, when the car is regarded as 'arrived home' a Relay will be deactivated hence making the unit powerless.

Anyone when we can expect or where to look specifically for any custom firmwares for the dual channel blackvue?

we are actively working to create a custom firmware for 550

Awesome! Good to know, hope it will work out all the perks of still having the original features with gps and whatnot.

Hey guys, quick question. The coaxial cable that fits into the front camera, is the connection supposed to fit snug? I recently removed the cables as I had to reformat my microSD card. When I tried to reinsert the coaxial cable in the front, it doesn't go all the way in, there is a few mm of the gold showing. I could have sworn before that the cable fit all the way in with a nice 'click'.

Back