BlackVue Wi-Fi 2-Channel DR550GW-2CH

Hey, I signed up to this forum so that I could add a few suggestions - Since it is a linux kernel, can you add the option of a FTP server? That way I would be able to have it sync the contents of the card to a computer once I was home.

Alexsoll, are you part of the group of people that writes the custom firmwares?

I second the option for an FTP server!!! If you connect via wifi to the cam you can already look up the IP address of the cam (it would be the gateway). If you then input the IP into your web browser you'll see there HTTP Progressive Download and RTSP files. When attempting to access any of the HTTP Progressive Download files it just claims there is nothing there (404 not found). When attempting to view one of the RTSP streams it can't open them. If you try to access using FTP such as WinSCP it asks for a username and then actively refuses the connection with anything that I've put in it.

It's like there is already some kind of FTP server already implemented as that's probably how it connects via the app. Wish I could figure out how to break in via the desktop.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
After owning the DR550 for a few months, I can definitely say that this camera SUCKS. The image quality is horrible and there's no custom firmware out yet to change the bitrate. The rear camera cuts out a lot and the low resolution/low bitrate make it nearly impossible to make out plates unless you're stopped in traffic.

After owning the DR550 for a few months, I can definitely say that this camera SUCKS. The image quality is horrible and there's no custom firmware out yet to change the bitrate. The rear camera cuts out a lot and the low resolution/low bitrate make it nearly impossible to make out plates unless you're stopped in traffic.

I have to disagree. I think its great. I haven't encountered the rear cam cutting out issue though. I'd feel differently if I did. What micro sd card are you using? Be sure to use only Class 10 or UHS 1 capable cards (that is being able to write at at least 10 MB/s). Anything lower and the micro sd card won't be able to write quick enough which is what I believe is the cause of the rear cam sometimes cutting out.

Alexsoll, are you part of the group of people that writes the custom firmwares?
Yes, I'm one of the band members.
Several people create firmware, a few people are tested, many help tips, you end up with a great result.

I got a reply to a 'tweet' to them (Blackvue) last night, basically saying it needed to squeeze 10mb/s bitrate, this was the response:
"In our tests 10 Mb/s led to other issues, so we set for 6.2. However, we're looking for ways to increase bitrate."

I assume the other issues was probably heat?

Downloading now.
*Please* include a bitrate increase! LOL

*Please* include a bitrate increase! LOL
Bitrate remained unchanged
http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub3.asp
0d279fba59dc.png

Hi Alexsoll,

Where do we get the Custom Firmware for the 500 from and when might the Custom Firmware be available for the 550.

Thanks

Have they learnt nothing?! :(

Alex, how close are you guys to the custom f/w?

Sorry Alex, I mean how close are you guys to releasing the custom firmware?

Thanks Sorted... I copied the file name from the server and the web address from the website and joined them together, the software saw the two files as separate websites. LOL DOH.

And I am Most dissapointed it took 11 seconds to download, then window 8.1 has just told me that downloading Zip files can be dangerous please disregard the file. but i said keep and opened it just to make sure its there and working, unzips fine and runs onto my card going to install in the camera in the morning. I am too wet now. Shower. sorry.

Yes, I've got it up and running no problem... just not as good as I had hoped :(

At least there accnologing the faults now on Facebook. there responding to my and everyone else s comments.

Back