BlackVue Wi-Fi 2-Channel DR550GW-2CH

agree, unfortunately for a lot of people they've already handed the money over...
This is the thing.

And it's my own fault, I'm a complete sucker for the new and latest things.... If I was reading now before I bought it I probably would have gone elsewhere.
It has however prevented me from buying another for my other cars - once bitten etc etc...

you're not alone I'm sure, I'll have to admit my impression of Blackvue mirrors was much higher based on internet hype before I actually looked at them myself

One is the https://www.facebook.com/BLACKVUElife?fref=ts
The other one is https://www.facebook.com/pittasoft?fref=ts

I too am after the latest best stuff, I didn't find this site until after i had researched the cameras on google and Youtube, I just looked at the sales blurb for loads of cameras and went for the best one i could afford, well on the credit card. Unfortunately the demonstration footage never seems to match the actual footage you get from some of the with Chinese and Korean stuff.

I too am after the latest best stuff, I didn't find this site until after i had researched the cameras on google and Youtube, I just looked at the sales blurb for loads of cameras and went for the best one i could afford, well on the credit card. Unfortunately the demonstration footage never seems to match the actual footage you get from some of the with Chinese and Korean stuff.

I know in the past some DashCam Manufacturers were using footage from an actual video camera rather than the DashCam itself. Naughty!

I know in the past some DashCam Manufacturers were using footage from an actual video camera rather than the DashCam itself. Naughty!

I really despise manufacturers or sellers that use footage from some other product or specification to what they're shipping, very deceptive practice

I really despise manufacturers or sellers that use footage from some other product or specification to what they're shipping, very deceptive practice

Totally agree... There is literally no point as anybody who purchases it won't ever get that quality!

same here, got hold of the DR500 before I got to hear of this site and have been regretting getting the DR500 ever since, as I think Blackvue knew full well they were pulled wool over our eyes with false clips of what this camera could do when in fact out of the box it never could match the quality of those clips they were showing. they were never listening (or very slow to react) to anything that we were saying.

if it wasn't for Mio (on here) I would of dumped this camera ages ago. in time I'll pass this camera on to one of the family , who wouldn't mind getting it for free.

I'm still on the look out for another, but it won't be anything Blackvue (Pitasoft) bring out thats for sure, sad thing is I have a £40 (ebay one with no GPS) 720HD DVR it gives me no problems and quality is not that far off this DR500 that cost 5 to 6 times more, in fact before the up grade from Mio the quality from this DR500 was not even a match for the no name £40 ebay camera

Last edited:
Merko, my rear cam also exhibited these effects.
First the "chromium" effect around the edges and then bright green and no video. (yours pink)
I sent the cameras back to supplier who could not re create the faults, he suspects some kind of interference and believes a screened interconnecting lead will be available soon.
Since refitting the fault has restarted and I am in the process of trying to find the cause.

Its not interference. I had the same problem happened two times, it happens after its come out of parking mode then had a direct bright light sun reflection direct sun or night time headlight, it seems a restart sorts it out but it will stay like that until you turn the power off or until it sleeps for a while. That's just in my opinion, I have only had it happen twice that i know of it may have happened other times but seems to be sleep related, both times it happened I looked at the camera because i wanted to get some rear footage off. both times it was just over compensating for the dark areas.

I don't know why they didn't use dual twin coaxial cable shielded, its the same thickness and handles DV quality footage over long distances with no interference. just needed to use a 2.5mm headphone type socket to connect up. would have been easy.

Just got this installed on my Subaru BRZ today. I know there have some issues with video quality, but I needed a 2ch setup...my car has been hit and run twice in the parking lot last month. Hopefully OEM or custom firmware will be up soon to increase bitrate. Time to read the instruction manual... :)

edit: quick question, haven't had time to read manual yet, so I don't know how to check the recordings yet, but when I went outside a couple hours after I parked the car, the LED lights have turned off on their own, does this mean it has stopped recording?

Last edited:
but when I went outside a couple hours after I parked the car, the LED lights have turned off on their own, does this mean it has stopped recording?
It entirely depends on your settings.
I have all of my LED's turned off anyway.

The rear LED can't be switched off - so if this one is off, then yes, it will have turned off... you can check to see if you have parking mode enabled.
otherwise, you'll need to double check your wiring.

Merko, my rear cam also exhibited these effects.
First the "chromium" effect around the edges and then bright green and no video. (yours pink)
I sent the cameras back to supplier who could not re create the faults, he suspects some kind of interference and believes a screened interconnecting lead will be available soon.
Since refitting the fault has restarted and I am in the process of trying to find the cause.

Its not interference. I had the same problem happened two times, it happens after its come out of parking mode then had a direct bright light sun reflection direct sun or night time headlight, it seems a restart sorts it out but it will stay like that until you turn the power off or until it sleeps for a while. That's just in my opinion, I have only had it happen twice that i know of it may have happened other times but seems to be sleep related, both times it happened I looked at the camera because i wanted to get some rear footage off. both times it was just over compensating for the dark areas.

Here's a few more examples.. and the camera haven't been in Park Mode.
But yeah, you are correct that if you restart the camera the problem goes away (as you can see in the video below that some videos works fine and some doesnt).
Just hard to find out before you actually see the recorded movie.. :/

I need to purchase a dashcam with a couple of requirements. It has to be one that is Mac compatible, GPS, and has a front and rear camera.... And decent picture quality. Is the Blackvue DR550 the only camera available that can do all this (as it seems like it struggles with picture quality)?

I need to purchase a dashcam with a couple of requirements. It has to be one that is Mac compatible, GPS, and has a front and rear camera.... And decent picture quality. Is the Blackvue DR550 the only camera available that can do all this (as it seems like it struggles with picture quality)?

Depends if want a dashcam just to be a dashcam or like some want to produce Youtube epics about not much.

It is adequate for what it is designed for without being wonderful There are other makes with all the bits you need

Back