Bought a Dab205

so where is dab205 firmware? I have dab202 firmware now
Just use the firmware you have. It is the same thing. If you have version 2385 or 2386, then you have the latest available for your camera. 2385 was for DAB201 and 2386 was for DAB202, but they are the same thing. They are just labeled differently in the firmware section in the menu. I suppose 2387 would be for the DAB205, but there is no such version. When I asked for the latest version for the DAB205 with the MPH option, they sent me version 2386 (which I already had).

High rating of the seller and age of the seller's account, both suggesting I wasn't getting conned. This was after browsing Amazon for a long time and finding a ton of random cameras with fake reviews.

I was able to upgrade the firmware to 2385 (the most recent one linked on DashCamTalk). This added some menu features like mph/kmph and advanced camera features. No menu option for HDR (a feature I do care about) I guess it is automatic?

Not sure if it runs particularly hot, it has been in my car in some hot weather so far and not exploded I guess.
The HDR option is not an on or off option in the menu. You select 1440 with HDR or 1440 without HDR in the resolution section in the menu. Do you not have those options? You should with firmware 2385 or 2386.

Just use the firmware you have. It is the same thing. If you have version 2385 or 2386, then you have the latest available for your camera. 2385 was for DAB201 and 2386 was for DAB202, but they are the same thing. They are just labeled differently in the firmware section in the menu. I suppose 2387 would be for the DAB205, but there is no such version. When I asked for the latest version for the DAB205 with the MPH option, they sent me version 2386 (which I already had).

I have v2386 firmware now. And HDR option is in video quality section. I testing my DAB 205 / S8 and I don't like video qaulity. What I saw on youtube was more good quality then mine so what kind of problem is I don't know

Last edited:
My preference is to leave HDR off unless using at night.
HDR on during daylight hours produced muted colors.
If you post a clip of your bad video it would help with diagnosis.

What player are you using for playback?

I have VLC and media player. Which player is reccomended?

I had talk to ebay seller which selling Dab205 / S8 cams and I bought one about firmware update and they have newer firmware for 205/s8 which one is never then factory. Firmware name: 20160312a_A12a55_G_DAB205_DTRAVEL_v2326. What's new in this firmware I don't know. If anyone need this firmware I can upload it. Thanks

I wouldn't use media player as I find it introduces some audio noise. Video quality of the player seems fine though. Don't have much experience with VLC, but it should be fine.

I have v2386 firmware now. And HDR option is in video quality section. I testing my DAB 205 / S8 and I don't like video qaulity. What I saw on youtube was more good quality then mine so what kind of problem is I don't know

There are 2-3 Dab205 videos on youtube. However it is impossible to verify if there are really Dab205 or not. Could you please upload your video that you dislike the quality. So, we can all see it and decide if we should buy Dab205 or something different.

And please make RAW footage availebel for download ( from Mega or elsewhere )
You really cant judge camera performance on youtube as they convert any footage to somthing else, and often you will see a IQ decline in that process.

I took some stills from my video. Full videos are half a gig/3minutes

Attachments

• 113607AA.MP4_snapshot_02.33_[2016.05.19_21.20.08].jpg
    113607AA.MP4_snapshot_02.33_[2016.05.19_21.20.08].jpg
    349 KB · Views: 27
  • 115337AA.MP4_snapshot_01.38_[2016.05.19_21.19.37].jpg
    115337AA.MP4_snapshot_01.38_[2016.05.19_21.19.37].jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 224122AA.MP4_snapshot_02.22_[2016.05.19_21.19.05].jpg
    224122AA.MP4_snapshot_02.22_[2016.05.19_21.19.05].jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 224122AA.MP4_snapshot_01.26_[2016.05.19_21.18.51].jpg
    224122AA.MP4_snapshot_01.26_[2016.05.19_21.18.51].jpg
    230 KB · Views: 23
  • 224122AA.MP4_snapshot_00.27_[2016.05.19_21.18.23].jpg
    224122AA.MP4_snapshot_00.27_[2016.05.19_21.18.23].jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 23
I took some stills from my video. Full videos are half a gig/3minutes

Traffic signes are not readable at night, number plates are not readable at daytime. However this is not the same conclusion as shown on the advertisement videos and on A12 section at szdome website.

Could you possibly upload a short daytime and night time videos to youtube? Then we can make the real judgement.

Finally, how about the focusing performance during daytime under direct sunlight exposure? Did you ever encounter any focusing problem?

Last edited:
Its only in direct sunshine you can expect to catch a little thing like a licenceplate, at least when both camera car and the other car is moving at speed in respect to each other.

It dont even have to be night time ( dark ) for plate capture to become a problem even for the best of cameras, even on a otherwise sunny day if you drive into a shaded area then the camera compensate for the massive drop in light, and it do so by lowering exposure time, and then you will see motion blur.

The only time at night ( darkness ) where you can expect to capture a licence plate is if:
1. the car drive at same speed right in front of you ( and even here refelctions from your headlights in the plate might make it not possible )
2. you drive really slow ( joggin or slow bicycle speed ) past some parked/stopped cars.
3. car overtake you with a speed thats no more than 1 MPH faster than you drive.

This is why i say that low light performance is the #1 challenge for dashcams, ideally you would like a dashcamera to stay above 1:500 second exposure time, but as it is today all drop down to 1:30 second, and they do so long before the sun go down, they do if you drive into a shaded area, they do so if you drive into a parking garage, and they do so when the sky is filled with grey clouds.
Okay they might not drop all the way down to 1:30 second, but they drop so low in exposure time that when you add a little motion then there is a high chance of you getting motion blur that will obscure the little details like a licenceplate.

Next gen dashcams need a wider ISO range, and they need mush more light sensetive sensors, and i mean much more light sensetive.

In general i am not so bothered with capturing plates, hit and run is still rare here, i take comfort in my camera record all i do and that i doo it right, so what ever happen cant be my fault.

And in general thats enuff for my insurance company to not start to mess with my rates, and as it is those rates are as low as they can be as i am reated as a "super elite driver"

Its only in direct sunshine you can expect to catch a little thing like a licenceplate, at least when both camera car and the other car is moving at speed in respect to each other.

It dont even have to be night time ( dark ) for plate capture to become a problem even for the best of cameras, even on a otherwise sunny day if you drive into a shaded area then the camera compensate for the massive drop in light, and it do so by lowering exposure time, and then you will see motion blur.

The only time at night ( darkness ) where you can expect to capture a licence plate is if:
1. the car drive at same speed right in front of you ( and even here refelctions from your headlights in the plate might make it not possible )
2. you drive really slow ( joggin or slow bicycle speed ) past some parked/stopped cars.
3. car overtake you with a speed thats no more than 1 MPH faster than you drive.

This is why i say that low light performance is the #1 challenge for dashcams, ideally you would like a dashcamera to stay above 1:500 second exposure time, but as it is today all drop down to 1:30 second, and they do so long before the sun go down, they do if you drive into a shaded area, they do so if you drive into a parking garage, and they do so when the sky is filled with grey clouds.
Okay they might not drop all the way down to 1:30 second, but they drop so low in exposure time that when you add a little motion then there is a high chance of you getting motion blur that will obscure the little details like a licenceplate.

Next gen dashcams need a wider ISO range, and they need mush more light sensetive sensors, and i mean much more light sensetive.

In general i am not so bothered with capturing plates, hit and run is still rare here, i take comfort in my camera record all i do and that i doo it right, so what ever happen cant be my fault.

And in general thats enuff for my insurance company to not start to mess with my rates, and as it is those rates are as low as they can be as i am reated as a "super elite driver"

Thank you for the the detailed explanations.

My concern is not to use number plate information for "hit and run" cases but to understand if the product is really matching with the advertised information.

Although Szdome never said their Ambarella 12 powered products will catch number plate information under low light conditions, but said “A12 has a Better Night Vision”. Otherwise I don’t see any other reason to increase the video resolution up to 1440p and frame rate per second from 30 to 60.

The numbers are good advertisement tools because we compare the products according to some certain numbers. However, majority of these products are not even good enough meet basic expectations such as good thermal design, good sensitivity for image capturing and number plate recognition on the move.

This talk about night vision causes me to wonder: I just installed an IR Illuminator for my driveway that GREATLY improves the night vision of my outdoor security cam. These things could possibly be made into vehicle "foglights"!!!?!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00M3O5ERK
They all seem to be 12vdc as a bonus.

One have to be carefull what ppl say about ther own product, to my knowlege the A12 chipset dont do much for night footage, if it do somthing it must be a wider ISO range it can use.
Otherwise the night or low light performance is relying on the image sensor.

I would love to install IR lights in the place where my foglights would be, but for that i need a fjew things to come together.

1. Some one to make a dashcam that function like a IP camera and so have a active IR filter, and B&W night mode.
2. The lights would have to be 940nm and not visible to the naked eye, cuz here its not leagal to have red light on the front of the car, and 850nm is visible to the naked eye as a red glow.

Ideally i would like a FLIR camera instead, and then i dont need to install any IR lights.

Thank you for the the detailed explanations.

My concern is not to use number plate information for "hit and run" cases but to understand if the product is really matching with the advertised information.

Although Szdome never said their Ambarella 12 powered products will catch number plate information under low light conditions, but said “A12 has a Better Night Vision”. Otherwise I don’t see any other reason to increase the video resolution up to 1440p and frame rate per second from 30 to 60.

The numbers are good advertisement tools because we compare the products according to some certain numbers. However, majority of these products are not even good enough meet basic expectations such as good thermal design, good sensitivity for image capturing and number plate recognition on the move.
Can you post a link to were you read about better night vision on their site? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to were you read about better night vision on their site? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.szdome.com/news-detail-157.html

"A12 has a Better Night Vision"
5g8t91gs94mak1435202923.jpg

This post and the A12 related product announcement are dated 25.06.2015. Nearly 1 year ago. Potantial buyers are waiting since that time and Szdome still have not even released Dab205, the 2nd A12 product, to the mass market yet.

There is also uncertainity about A12A75 chipset, even if it is announced here in March 2016, and the availability is questionable.

Unless Szdome tries to increase brand name value and build trust buy providing western standart sales/aftersales/marketing/support strategies, it will be too difficult for them to sell in west.

They will have to be OEM producer.

Last edited:
here is mine DomeTravel S8 video. there are several variants. watch it.

here is mine DomeTravel S8 video. there are several variants. watch it.

Great stuff, great box opening, daytime/nighttime videos. Thank you. Seems like you did not buy GPS antenna or GPS is not functioning properly.

Did you try 2560*1440 resolution with 30fps?

http://www.szdome.com/news-detail-157.html

"A12 has a Better Night Vision"
5g8t91gs94mak1435202923.jpg

This post and the A12 related product announcement are dated 25.06.2015. Nearly 1 year ago. Potantial buyers are waiting since that time and Szdome still have not even released Dab205, the 2nd A12 product, to the mass market yet.

There is also uncertainity about A12A75 chipset, even if it is announced here in March 2016, and the availability is questionable.

Unless Szdome tries to increase brand name value and build trust buy providing western standart sales/aftersales/marketing/support strategies, it will be too difficult for them to sell in west.

They will have to be OEM producer.
Not sure I understand what your saying. The DAB205 is out and has been for awhile. The Dome Travel S8 and DAB205 are the same camera. It's been on Ebay for awhile.

What uncertainty about the newer A12A75 are you referring to? It has been stated a few times that the newer A12 is only available for OEM order. Dome has confirmed this. I'm sure this will change at some point but for now don't expect it anytime in the near future. They have no plans to release a camera with that chipset in any of their own brands or as neutral stock. For now the only way to get this is to place an OEM order.

Keep in mind that Dome makes cameras for their own brands Dome Travel, Blackview and Car Major as well as cameras for other companies. They make neutral stock available for some of their own cameras too (DAB201, DAB202, DAB205, etc...). That's a lot of cameras. A new product takes awhile to work its way through the process.

Back