Bought a Dab205

Pretty much 5 each time. Takes me 10 min to work and I see the mph coming up when I am half way. GPS is just above camera at very top of windscreen. About two metres of cable is stuffed into the roof lining!

OK pretty much the same here. it's not in the blacked out area is it?

Pretty much 5 each time. Takes me 10 min to work and I see the mph coming up when I am half way. GPS is just above camera at very top of windscreen. About two metres of cable is stuffed into the roof lining!
I'd try a different spot and see it makes a difference.

which way do you have it facing?

too close to the camera is not good also

its at the very top of the screen so in the shaded off area and its also within a few inches of the camera. Once I am happy with all the settings I will be moving the camera a bit anyway to hide it more behind the mirror. At that point I can try and move the GPS although the glue pad on it seems pretty strong. I have it in the vertical position with the cable coming out of the bottom of the unit so as a rectangle the shorter side is horizontal and the longer side is vertical. Should that make any difference?

Cheers

its at the very top of the screen so in the shaded off area and its also within a few inches of the camera. Once I am happy with all the settings I will be moving the camera a bit anyway to hide it more behind the mirror. At that point I can try and move the GPS although the glue pad on it seems pretty strong. I have it in the vertical position with the cable coming out of the bottom of the unit so as a rectangle the shorter side is horizontal and the longer side is vertical. Should that make any difference?

Cheers
You can possibly get some interference if it's mounted too close to the camera. They are meant to mount on the dashboard, not the windshield. If it's on the windshield then it's technically upside down, possibly hindering getting the signal. I have mine on the windshield and don't have any issue though. Gets signal pretty fast. It's mounted in the top right corner.
If you still have problems, you may be able to open the module and flip the circuit board/sensor.

You can possibly get some interference if it's mounted too close to the camera. They are meant to mount on the dashboard, not the windshield. If it's on the windshield then it's technically upside down, possibly hindering getting the signal. I have mine on the windshield and don't have any issue though. Gets signal pretty fast. It's mounted in the top right corner.
If you still have problems, you may be able to open the module and flip the circuit board/sensor.

I did not know that. Now it will bug me forever that I installed them all caddywhompus. :)

Strange things going on now. Hardwired live not switched with md parking etc on.

I drive off and it records but while driving it turns off then on then off etc. No set time between recording lengths etc. However the car is in motion all the time.

If I turn MD off then it won't start recording so I have to manually start it problem is once I stop and take keys out it keeps recording.

Why the intermittent MD recording? Any ideas?

How have the rest of you guys set your 205 up?

Wouldn't worry if it's working fine for you. *This was a reply to iptelman*

I don't think it's the case for all dash cameras as some have them built in without a problem. Dome used to has some models with the GPS built into to mount, but they were not reliable and went back to the module. That's my understanding anyway.

Last edited:
Strange things going on now. Hardwired live not switched with md parking etc on.

I drive off and it records but while driving it turns off then on then off etc. No set time between recording lengths etc. However the car is in motion all the time.

If I turn MD off then it won't start recording so I have to manually start it problem is once I stop and take keys out it keeps recording.

Why the intermittent MD recording? Any ideas?

How have the rest of you guys set your 205 up?
Not sure what's up there. The consensus is that Motion Detection is not reliable in most dash cameras. Might be fine for parking mode, but to rely on it to turn recording on while driving, and stay on, is iffy. That may be what you experiencing.

I think most have the camera turn on and off with the car. Or use something like the Vico Power Plus to keep the camera powered while protecting the battery. I don't use parking mode or motion detection, so maybe people who do will be able to chime in with their thoughts.

Wouldn't worry if it's working fine for you. *This was a reply to iptelman*

I don't think it's the case for all dash cameras as some have them built in without a problem. Dome used to has some models with the GPS built into to mount, but they were not reliable and went back to the module. That's my understanding anyway.

Not worried. Everything is working fine... just anal. :)

ok definitely have a problem. Still live feed hardwired. Set to MD and parking and G sensor etc. Car works fine when parked, records 10 sec clips etc. all good and well. But when driving it often stops recording sometimes after 10 sec sometimes after minutes. There is then a gap of a few seconds up to 30 sec then it starts again. Its as if its only recording, when driving, in MD mode and the MD is not working that well which it should do as trees cars etc. fly past.

Am I asking too much of the camera to be able to do this. I suppose the camera does not know I want it to record continually as it does not detect the keys and engine starting etc. and it just sits in MD mode. I can manually press the record (OK) button at any time and it will keep recording, but pressing that every time I go for a drive is a pain.

I may need to just go back to switched live and record only when driving, just won't catch anyone bumping into it while parked.

Any other ideas guys?

Cheers

David

My "opinion" is that you need to switch manually to MD when parked, then back to normal when driving.
I have not tested here.

I iptelman yes think you are right so its back to switched live and no MD park mode I think as I am more likely to get hit while moving and the last thing I need is for there not to be footage. CYA - thanks for the advice on the GPS, its now on the dash pointing up and although the camera is constantly on for, well the next few hours until I switch back to switched live, the GPS signal is much better.

Still a good camera just I wanted too much from it ! there is the perfect world then the real world and this times its the real world that wins !

If you just turn off motion detection, but leave parking mode enabled, you will still record if someone bumps into you while parked. It's not pre-buffered, so it will only start to record just after getting bumped. Better than nothing. Motion detection doesn't seem to be very reliable in most dash cameras unfortunately.

have even turned off the parking mode now as every time I closed the door it started recording ! I really need to have a look at the footage on the PC to see how good / bad this camera is. On a 3" screen it looks pretty good and the HDR definitely helps in the sun that Scotland is getting at the moment. I only comment on that as its so bloody rare.

David

Parking mode alone would activate by g-force. I would assume that opening/closing the door should be enough to make it start recording.

Back