Brand new unit locks up [RESOLVED]

bd38

Reaction score
Country
United States
Received a new SG9665GC today thru Amazon. About a minute after power is applied the screen will turn completely white (sometimes blue or green) and the rec light will stay on (not flashing). I've tried different cards (formatted in the cam) without difference. Even if I manually stop recording shortly after it boots it still will lock up shortly (screen won't come on with a quick power press), but I can power it off. I'm assuming this is a faulty unit but I want to be sure I'm just not doing something stupid.

Hi we'll sort it out, no reports of that behavior before.

What's the serial number off the back and firmware version in the menu?

Do you have the GPS plugged into the AV port by mistake?

Are you using the included cig power or other hard wire power device? (Could be underpowered)

Thanks for the quick reply!

SGGC-B15430490
SG20151109.V2

No, I don't have the GPS plugged in at all.

Originally happened in car with included cig power and also with a charger that can supply 5v@2A. A USB meter says its getting 5.08v and pulling just under 300ma with screen on and recording.

Unfortunately, same problem.
Does seem to be heat related though. After it's been powered off for a while it takes several minutes to act up. Subsequently only about 15 seconds.

Supplied and Samsung Pro, although it doesn't have to be recording to get the solid colored screen lockup.

Just in case nobody noticed it was only 21 minutes between these events on a Sunday evening. View attachment 19634
Sometimes we need to go through some troubleshooting which can take time but if we work out there's a fault then the best thing for all concerned is to deal with it as quickly as possible, no point delaying the inevitable

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, unfortunately things sometimes do go wrong but we'd like the experience to be as positive as possible and will always do what needs to be done

Sometimes we need to go through some troubleshooting which can take time but if we work out there's a fault then the best thing for all concerned is to deal with it as quickly as possible, no point delaying the inevitable

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, unfortunately things sometimes do go wrong but we'd like the experience to be as positive as possible and will always do what needs to be done
That is why the air is clear in your world. You always do the right thing.

I have a similar problem. Every once in a while, the dash cam has a blank or frozen screen. I am on Vacation now and drove the car more often than usual. This problem has occurred several times already in the past few days. Tonight I took the sd card out and found that when this problem occurred, it didn't record at all.

Then I came to this forum and found this thread. I tried to flash the dash cam with the above referred firmware. But after I emptied the sd card, loaded the *.bin file to the card, and turned on the dash cam, it just started to record instead of updating. BTW, I ordered the dash cam from Amazon a few months ago and the sd card is the card with the dash cam package. Is this a known issue or I am alone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Pier28, thanks for the quick reply!

S/N: SGGC15300234
Firmware version: SG20150305.002

Should I load an updated v1 or v2 firmware?

BTW, I am traveling so the response could be slow. Thank you very much!

Hi, Pier28,

Just replied to your PM. Thank you very much for the great help and such a quick response.

Ps, I am really impressed by Pier28's quick response. It seems that he is monitoring the thread 24/7. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back