Brand new - Won't stay powered on - "Low Battery" message.

BleachX

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received this brand new from Amazon tonight. I have it plugged in to my computer. It powers on, flashes a blue screen with white letters saying, "Low Battery" once or twice and then powers off. I can't use any menus or do anything. Am I doing something wrong? I think it will do the same thing if I bother to install it in my truck. Should I send this back for a refund?

You can't power it via a computer USB port. (Often times only 500 mA) It needs a full 1A of power. Try it in the truck with the included cigarette lighter power adapter

Mine needed a good overnight soaking charge before it acted right. These cams require patience, trial & error and are often counter intuitive. Once up and running? you can't understand why anyone would go without.

Mine needed a good overnight soaking charge before it acted right. These cams require patience, trial & error and are often counter intuitive. Once up and running? you can't understand why anyone would go without.

If you are talking about a camera with a lithium-polymer battery such advice would make sense. If the camera is powered by a super-capacitor as the SG9665GC is, the camera's capacitor should be fully charged in about ten seconds. In certain cases a capacitor might take a minute or two to fully charge but it wouldn't take all night.

Plugging the SG9665GC into a suitable power supply that provides at least 1000 mAh (1Ah) @5V as @Pier28 suggests should solve the OP's problem immediately unless the camera or the power supply is defective.

Last edited:
yeah don't connect it to a computer please, the PC doesn't have enough power to run the camera

Thanks @Dashmellow

Yes, I'm confident the camera is fine. I personally triple QA checked each and every camera that was sent out. (customized each timezone per customer, and let GPS sync date/time)

Anything is possible with electronics from time to time, but based one the OP's description, it should be ok once fully powered with the 1A adapter.

yeah don't connect it to a computer please, the PC doesn't have enough power to run the camera

Under powering a CPU causing it to struggle isn't good/healthy, best to avoid. This is why we don't include a miniUSB cable in the box. We'll look into adding some clearer warning sticker or insert.

Ahhh, I should have read this before I got mine.:oops:
I use my other cams to read the card via miniUSB. And I got this same low bat warning when I tried my new SG9665GC tonight.

Also spent 2 hours rebuilding mplayer ffmpeg and x264 from scratch because of the newer codec. :D

I'm actually having a similar problem. Even after driving for like 30 mins plus as soon as a stop the car about 5 seconds later it says low battery and shuts off. Kind of defeats the purpose of a delay off? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm actually having a similar problem. Even after driving for like 30 mins plus as soon as a stop the car about 5 seconds later it says low battery and shuts off. Kind of defeats the purpose of a delay off? Am I doing something wrong?

have answered this elsewhere but will answer again in case anyone else comes looking, there's no low battery message, it turns off 4 seconds after power off by design, all capacitor based cameras do that

Back