Brand new - What should i get? :-)

DJ_Eatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, total newbie to dashcams and the site (but have been reading it for months)...

Yes, you probably get a million of these, but I'm incredibly fussy! (from a technical background)
I'm looking for a discreet dash cam that has the best video quality both night and day. (I've heard only good things about the sony Exmor sensor)
Speed camera warnings would be nice, but not if there's a monthly/annual cost. I will aim to hardwire (with adhesive not suction), but not necessarily on day 1
I had a short list but it keeps getting smashed to bits when i read conflicting reviews.
I also keep swinging between "It's a safety device, so price isn't an issue but needs to be reliable" and "Basic and cheap will do the job"......

Here's my latest short list:
Garmin Dash Cam 35 (charge for speed cameras)
SG9665GC (just too expensive in the UK)
Mini 0806 (reliability issues)
Thinkware F750 (no confirmation of all features work as advertised)
Mobuis V3 C2 Lens (No GPS info - could be overlooked if cheap enough)

My brain feels like it's going to melt if i keep going round in circles!! I feel like I've read every review around - but still no clear winner - picture quality is king, closely followed by reliability.
And as the Irish wife says "Buy right, buy once" :)
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Duncan.

Welcome!
From your list, Garmin and Mini out.

Mobius has good video quality.

SG9665GC also has good video and great support.
I read @Pier28 had some coupons for DCT members so that may drop price somewhat.

Other than those, check some based on Ambarella chip.

Welcome to DCT. Mobius is a good choice. Also consider the BlackSys CF-100 ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00KFYG0K0
Review...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...p-sony-exmor-cmos-720p-gps-24-7-parking.7441/

Don't be misled by the low price. This is a £150 Korean camera being sold off at a bargain price, as it's been superceded by a newer model. At £60 there's nothing on the market that can compete with it's blend of quality, features & value for money.

Not as discreet as some, but the Garmin & Thinkware don't strike me as being particularly discreet.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies.
@Sunny - A discount would be amazing - I'll hope for the best :)
Otherwise i guess it's a mobius, they come highly regarded - and i can always stick it on the drone if it doesn't work out.

@russ331 - I'll take a look at that, could be an interesting addition to the list ;)

The thinkware would mount nice and flush to the rain sesnor on my windscreen so could be quite discreet if i get it right. Their images seem to be nice and clear.

+1 on the Street Guardian. It has the best video quality of that list.

And as the Irish wife says "Buy right, buy once" :)...
Smart wife.

Buying quality only hurts one time. Buying cheap hurts every time you have to replace/repair.

@DT MI She likes to think she is - right until she demands the most premium item for the price of a newspaper o_O (i like the ambition though)

...right until she demands the most premium item for the price of a newspaper o_O ...
I think I might be married to her sister. :eek:

Oh crud, and there's apparently a "Car Dvr MG900, Street Guardian SGZC12RC, Panorama X1, IMX322, - 2015/07 camera" on ebay at the moment that looks good.
But seems to claim things that i haven't seen before: (not sure if i trust it, but if it's the same quality as the SG9665GC for only £100 i'm sold!)
FEATURES:
  • 1080P Full HD 30FPS
  • GPS bulit in
  • new 2015/07 Lens verion 140 degree diagonal. F1.8 aperture (better picture quality than before!)
  • Real Wide dynamic range ( WDR )
  • Built-in supercaps ( super capacitor ). HIGH HEAT RESISTANT
  • G-sensor, Motion detection, auto / cycle recording
  • Sony CMOS Sensor IMX322
  • Processor ( CPU ): Zoran Coach 12p
  • Remote lens camera. 2m video cable (both end Micro USB port)
  • 2.7"TFT Capacitive touch LCD, 16,000,000 true colour
  • Direct power supply from vehicle cigarette lighter,DC 12 - 24V.
  • Video resolution: 1080p@30Fps, 720p@30Fps, 720p@60Fps.
  • H.264/MPEG4 AVC video encoding, MP4 file type.
  • Support up to 128Gb MicroSD card (Memory Card not included)
  • Smart motion detection algorithm recording with 5 seconds pre-recording.
  • Event recording with built-in G-sensor.
  • Support GPS positioning
  • Built-in microphone. ON/OFF hotkey.
  • Support external mobile power bank (via 5V USB micro port)

Actually SG9665GC for UK / EU is much cheaper if you will taking into account greedy EU import / vat / duty / agent charge / currency exchange rates etc. All ends up around +50% on top. Also you are getting 2 year warranty ( at least from me, not sure what about other dashcam brands EU sellers ).
Local stock, fast deliver, local aftersales and warranty, and very important - knowledge of the product almost from A to Z, so you will get best help in case you need it.

I like what you wrote: "Buy right, buy once". - I agree with this.

P.S. Some time I do have temporary discount coupons for forum members. They can be requested via PM ( personal message ). So, if you decide into SG dascham favour, drop me PM.

Any Black Friday or Xmas sales on the horizon for the SG9665GC ? ;)

If night quality is important I'd go with the SG9665GC.

The Mobius is my pick simply for the price and the quality. While not the best video quality out there, it works for what I need it for. My only gripe is that night driving doesn't produce the best image. It's simple, discrete, has tons of mounting options and is versatile.

The C2 lens will make things appear farther away, just keep that in mind.

Back