Buffered Parking mode

I confirm the camera stops recording randomly while in buffered parking mode. Yesterday I left my car in a shopping mall parking. After about four hours, the camera stopped recording. Another five hours later, when I returned to the car, I looked at the camera and both LEDs were lit. When I started the engine, it switched back to driving mode, like nothing happened. There was no boot up VIOFO logo, it just switched back to driving mode.
View attachment 47177
During test of Parking Auto Event Detection Mode were all the PF & PR clips 45 seconds or 60 seconds? which had more?
What were Parking G-sensor and Motion sensitivity levels?
Was the power cable connected to GPS mount or camera side miniUSB port?

If parked vehicle is facing wall with no lighting change nothing will be recorded.
If parking in busy lot it records only when visual motion or impact occurs seeming random.
If parked test recordings halts after 2-5 hours even with obvious visual traffic motion but correctly switches to normal recording mode once vehicle is driven it points to recorded PF/PR clip limiters.

During test of Parking Auto Event Detection Mode were all the PF & PR clips 45 seconds or 60 seconds? which had more?
What were Parking G-sensor and Motion sensitivity levels?
Was the power cable connected to GPS mount or camera side miniUSB port?

If parked vehicle is facing wall with no lighting change nothing will be recorded.
If parking in busy lot it records only when visual motion or impact occurs seeming random.
If parked test recordings halts after 2-5 hours even with obvious visual traffic motion but correctly switches to normal recording mode once vehicle is driven it points to recorded PF/PR clip limiters.
Hi, @BCHobbyist ,
- All 349 PF and 349 PR clips were 45 seconds in length, PF file sizes around 56 MB each, PR files around 48-49 MB each
- Parking G-sensor and Motion sensitivity levels both set to highest
- Power cable is connected to camera side since the day I installed the VIOFO HK3 kit
- The car was parked in an outdoor parking lot with lots of activity both front and rear - here's a screenshot from the last clip recorded in buffered parking mode.

- There was still around 30 GB left on the SD card when the recording stopped.
I was not aware of PF/PR clip limits... can you tell me more about it?

Last edited:
I returned to v 1.5 after the camera did not pass from parking mode to drive mode. It simply lacks the time I was in drive mode. After turning off the engine, it began to record again in buffered parking mode. Some parking video clips were for 3 minutes, don't know why. Most were 45 seconds. Sometimes the camera was filming for a whole night, sometimes stopping after 4-5 hours of recording.
- HK3 power supply in camera side
- low motion sensitivity
- high shock sensitivity
File numbering in parking mode with P is not recognized by the player to synchronize the front and back files.

I returned to v 1.5 after the camera did not pass from parking mode to drive mode. It simply lacks the time I was in drive mode. After turning off the engine, it began to record again in buffered parking mode. Some parking video clips were for 3 minutes, don't know why. Most were 45 seconds. Sometimes the camera was filming for a whole night, sometimes stopping after 4-5 hours of recording.
- low motion sensitivity
- high shock sensitivity
File numbering in parking mode with P is not recognized by the player to synchronize the front and back files.
I think I will return to v1.5 as well, as 1.8 is not yet reliable. Randomly missing hours of footage even if there is enough power is simply unacceptable for me.

I think I will return to v1.5 as well, as 1.8 is not yet reliable. Randomly missing hours of footage even if there is enough power is simply unacceptable for me.

My understanding is that v1.9 has just been released. You'll find the link in the next post (below). Perhaps that will solve these problems.

Last edited:
I confirm the camera stops recording randomly while in buffered parking mode. Yesterday I left my car in a shopping mall parking. After about four hours, the camera stopped recording. Another five hours later, when I returned to the car, I looked at the camera and both LEDs were lit. When I started the engine, it switched back to driving mode, like nothing happened. There was no boot up VIOFO logo, it just switched back to driving mode.
Are you sure this isn't the HK3 hardwiring kit cutting the power to the A129 after the voltage has dropped to the specified level?

Are you sure this isn't the HK3 hardwiring kit cutting the power to the A129 after the voltage has dropped to the specified level?
As I said, I found the camera turned ON, left and right LEDs were turned on, there was no VIOFO boot up logo and the camera switched directly to drive mode. HK3 cutting power doesn't leave LEDs on...
After a few months of using the HK3 I think I can tell when the power is cut.

As I said, I found the camera turned ON, left and right LEDs were turned on, there was no VIOFO boot up logo and the camera switched directly to drive mode. HK3 cutting power doesn't leave LEDs on...
After a few months of using the HK3 I think I can tell when the power is cut.
Sorry. I must have missed that post.

What do you lose by going back to 1.5? Will parking mode work with 1.5, the only difference being there is no buffer? I guess what you gain is that the A129 will not have any gaps in recording when in parked mode...?

Another unrelated question: Does anyone know what the "detection mode" in the regular menu does? This is of course not the "detection mode" listed under parking modes... I don't see anything about this in the manual.

I hoped buffered parking mode would reduce the amount of data saved on the card (I think this is the main reason you would like buffered parking mode, besides reducing the amount of data that is useless), but at least v 1.8 is a bad choice. The 45-second files are about 50 MB while the 3-minute files in low bitrate parking mode are around 90 MB. If you park in areas with a lot of movement, you will have the card full much faster. In addition to the motion and G-sensor options, the bitrate option for buffered parking mode would be very much needed. Of course without record breaks.

What do you lose by going back to 1.5? Will parking mode work with 1.5, the only difference being there is no buffer? I guess what you gain is that the A129 will not have any gaps in recording when in parked mode...?
Exactly
Another unrelated question: Does anyone know what the "detection mode" in the regular menu does? This is of course not the "detection mode" listed under parking modes... I don't see anything about this in the manual.

When my camera is in parking mode it's recording continually every 45 seconds when there's motion or not!
And when I put Motion Detection on it won't let choose Parking Motion Detection!

Not sure what is going on!

When my camera is in parking mode it's recording continually every 45 seconds when there's motion or not!
And when I put Motion Detection on it won't let choose Parking Motion Detection!

Not sure what is going on!
Those two features were the "original" parking protection before Viofo added "Parking Mode" to A119 V1.
Taken from the A129 MENU Settings :
Video Format = MP4 <== select TS for crash surviveability or if supercapacitors failed
WDR = Off
Exposure = EVFront 0 / EVRear 0
Parking Mode = Off / Auto Event Detection / Time Lapse 1/2/3/5/10fps / Low Bitrate Recording
( if needed select Low Bitrate Recording for continuous video with sound )
Parking G-sensor = High Sensitivity
Parking Motion Detection = Middle Sensitivity
Time-Lapse Recording = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled
Motion Detection = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled
To avoid confusion and prevent more blue-screen MENU popup warnings I suggest NEVER using the last two features.

more A129 tips are found on my Blog > https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Those two features were the "original" parking protection before Viofo added "Parking Mode" to A119 V1.
Taken from the A129 MENU Settings :
Video Format = MP4 <== select TS for crash surviveability or if supercapacitors failed
WDR = Off
Exposure = EVFront 0 / EVRear 0
Parking Mode = Off / Auto Event Detection / Time Lapse 1/2/3/5/10fps / Low Bitrate Recording
( if needed select Low Bitrate Recording for continuous video with sound )
Parking G-sensor = High Sensitivity
Parking Motion Detection = Middle Sensitivity
Time-Lapse Recording = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled
Motion Detection = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled
To avoid confusion and prevent more blue-screen MENU popup warnings I suggest NEVER using the last two features.

more A129 tips are found on my Blog > https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
Great thanks for your swift reply! Will try those settings tomorrow!
Cheers

Geez, this is getting too confusing. I like v1.5 run on a powerbank. Am sticking to it until you experts say its kosher to install the next iteration beyond 1.9. I like software that has been vetted thorougly and looks like Viofo, with all due respect, rushed it out.

- low motion sensitivity
- high shock sensitivity

Thanks for replies back to my question re: impact of switching to 1.5 firmware. - - Also thanks for clarification on "Motion Detection".

One more question: Is clicking on "Default Setting" at bottom of menu the same as pushing small reset hole on left side of camera? - I've never used the little hole to reset after firmware updates...I have just clicked-on menu setting: "Default Setting". - - Is that good enough?

Attachments

• Viofo A129.JPG
    Viofo A129.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 20
Geez, this is getting too confusing. I like v1.5 run on a powerbank. Am sticking to it until you experts say its kosher to install the next iteration beyond 1.9. I like software that has been vetted thorougly and looks like Viofo, with all due respect, rushed it out.
totally agree with your decision to downgrade firmware to v1.50
cranking out frequent firmware revisions reminds me of something a MOD'er would do, but its absolutely necessary when Beta testing. I like the new naming scheme v1.9T

Back