Buffered Parking mode

Yeah, sadly the G-Sensor is pretty much worthless in parking mode, IMHO.
It used to be very good. I could trigger it in parking mode by closing a door, sometimes even by starting the engine.

The real issue is the logic of when to switch from low bitrate video in buffered parking mode to normal recording. 'Events' triggered by motion detection are saved as short low bitrate clips with something like 15s before the trigger and 20s after.

If the 'Event' is triggered by the g-sensor only, say someone opens their door into your car, do you want the camera to save a low bitrate parking mode clip 15s before and 20s after the incident? Or do you want the camera to stop recording in parking mode and switch to normal recording, which can take a few seconds?

Remember that the camera uses motion sensed by the g-sensor as one of the inputs to decide when parking mode should end. How can the camera tell the difference between a door slam and being jostled around when driving?

Adding buffered recording to the parking mode has introduced quite a lot of complexity to the FW. It took Viofo a long time to get it working at all. I'm not surprised that there are still some glitches like the parking mode g-sensor sensitivity.

It used to be very good. I could trigger it in parking mode by closing a door, sometimes even by starting the engine.

The real issue is the logic of when to switch from low bitrate video in buffered parking mode to normal recording. 'Events' triggered by motion detection are saved as short low bitrate clips with something like 15s before the trigger and 20s after.

If the 'Event' is triggered by the g-sensor only, say someone opens their door into your car, do you want the camera to save a low bitrate parking mode clip 15s before and 20s after the incident? Or do you want the camera to stop recording in parking mode and switch to normal recording, which can take a few seconds?

Remember that the camera uses motion sensed by the g-sensor as one of the inputs to decide when parking mode should end. How can the camera tell the difference between a door slam and being jostled around when driving?

Adding buffered recording to the parking mode has introduced quite a lot of complexity to the FW. It took Viofo a long time to get it working at all. I'm not surprised that there are still some glitches like the parking mode g-sensor sensitivity.

@TonyM, thanks for your response. I'm actually working with Viofo on the G-Sensor problem. I agree that things are getting a bit complicated, but my biggest problem is that low bitrate recording simply uses too much memory. I'm afraid if I continue to use it I may miss something when my car is parked for several days at a time.

Last edited:
So did the factory reset and it seems that that did the trick. I know I did it before when I first loaded the firmware, but maybe give it another factory reset @Sergiosmvc, seemed to do the trick for me to get the auto event detection to work all night last night, ill keep testing to see if anything else causes it to stop randomly like we were experiencing. Going to try some other motion settings right now I have everything set to medium. going to try high sensitivity on both motion and g and see what kind of results come from it.

I tried for five times do a factory reset and the problem remains. The camera stops recording randomly but stays on...

I tried for five times do a factory reset and the problem remains. The camera stops recording randomly but stays on...
try connecting power cable to camera side miniUSB port.
i'm wondering if the new V3 GPS mount is bad or firmware doesn't match new wiring signals.
verify dashcam isn't overheating and microSD card isn't the issue, some act strange when hot or full.

try connecting power cable to camera side miniUSB port.
i'm wondering if the new V3 GPS mount is bad or firmware doesn't match new wiring signals.
verify dashcam isn't overheating and microSD card isn't the issue, some act strange when hot or full.

Thats append only on buffered parking mode. On low bitrate its fine.
I tried with 2 other cards and not worked...
I'll try to connect directly on camera...

Did you check if the card was full maybe? I noticed it stopped on mine after the card was filled up, but using @BCHobbyist MOD.
I don't think it's a bug in the MOD, but in the stock firmware. The MODified FW have increased bitrate parking mode and that's why it filled up the card so quickly.
I will wait to see if the stock version 1.8 does the same.

Sounds lite v1.8 was premature. I'll wait for v1.9 barring any realistic workarounds.

i'm wondering
BCHobbyist!
I turn on the Wifi, since the picture on the monitor is full, VIOFO no solved the problem ins AV, so they added another picture, the download is not so fast, and so it delays.
I can not remove it, you have not tried?

I found

Attachments

• viofo.jpg
    viofo.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
BCHobbyist!
I turn on the Wifi, since the picture on the monitor is full, VIOFO no solved the problem ins AV, so they added another picture, the download is not so fast, and so it delays.

I found
you are correct, Viofo added many new text notification warnings, some helpful some distracting.
the WiFi notice can be replaced, haven't tried to disable it or remove it but I can have a look.
it was added for inexperienced users and does cause a delay.
it should also include a warning about reduced image detail and increased heat.

BCHobbyist!

I found
Some users still want to change settings in the camera after enabled the Wi-Fi, that's why we add this notice.

There have been many reports of the parking mode g-sensor not being sensitive enough. I reported this to Viofo during beta testing of the buffered parking mode FW a few months ago. It was working OK in the early beta FW, so I'm not sure what happened. We did have discussions about whether the g-sensor trigger should operate at all, since it results in a few seconds of lost recording time when the camera changes from parking mode to normal recording mode.
Please try this new 1.9 beta, g-sensor sensitive improved in parking mode.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sXsvOUkrHLfTAKSita835OoAFyIkLFlo

Some users
Most users don't need it, and how will I see it ??? :D

Sir, when do you decide a video on AB?
In many cars with monitors, but there is pruning video.
Or is it not software, but hardware?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 34
Can someone make a video (and post on YouTube with link here) of the proper waty to set this up as far as settings and also explain the terminolgy. For those of use less technically inclined and not dash cam experts its getting mode and more confusing. Many of use are like Apple users and we deed it dumbed down. BTW I use Android and its still confusing!!!

Some users still want to change settings in the camera after enabled the Wi-Fi, that's why we add this notice.
WiFi warning is useful for some users
Code:
-=current warning=-                      -=suggested warning=-
While the Wi-Fi                <>        WiFi disables MENU button
enabled, the camera can        <>        use VIOFO APP for
be only controlled             <>        LiveView and Settings.           
by VIOFO app.                  <>

Unfortunately, I found the g-sensor was still not effective in parking mode :(

Auto event detection (buffered parking). Power bank (not hard-wired). I tried both high and medium parking g-sensor sensitivity.
Did you try doing a reset after the firmware upgrade to see if that would help?

I confirm the camera stops recording randomly while in buffered parking mode. Yesterday I left my car in a shopping mall parking. After about four hours, the camera stopped recording. Another five hours later, when I returned to the car, I looked at the camera and both LEDs were lit. When I started the engine, it switched back to driving mode, like nothing happened. There was no boot up VIOFO logo, it just switched back to driving mode.

Last edited:
Back