Buffered Parking mode

Can I ask, with low bitrate parking mode can you set it so the g-sensor locks the file if there is an incident? Someone knocked my door a while back and in the end I couldn't be bothered going through all the footage to try and determine when and who.

Does it work OK without the rear camera plugged in?

I thought the camera had frozen again this morning so disconnected the rear cam.
In the end I realised I was reviewing footage on the app earlier and maybe didn't start up recording again (REC light was flashing) :facepalm:

Apart from this camera has been ok since I made my first post... No random beeps when driving..

Can I ask, with low bitrate parking mode can you set it so the g-sensor locks the file if there is an incident? Someone knocked my door a while back and in the end I couldn't be bothered going through all the footage to try and determine when and who.

Apparently it does lock the file, although I have it set to high sensitivity (I think) and it's never locked anything where I've been opening closing doors and the tailgate normally

If you have time, please can you post a full list of your camera settings, so that we can try the same settings and see if our cameras work like yours? You might have found a particular combination that works, which could unlock a conflict somewhere in the firmware options.

I don't think there is any special combination in my settings, I searched for recommended A129 settings on this forum and used them. I have a newer A129 bought mid-August, the GPS mount works with parking mode and USB hardwire cable is plugged into the GPS mount.

WDR (off currently)
Parking mode g-sensor: High
Parking mode motion sensor: low
Parking mode: auto event detection
Frequency: 60hz (I'm in Canada)
Wifi: Off
GPS Stamp: On, All info
Camera Stamp: Off
Boot Delay: 5 seconds
Screen saver: 30 seconds
Loop Recording: 3 minutes
Wifi: 5ghz, turned off

the rest are default settings.

I don't think there is any special combination in my settings, I searched for recommended A129 settings on this forum and used them. I have a newer A129 bought mid-August, the GPS mount works with parking mode and USB hardwire cable is plugged into the GPS mount.

WDR (off currently)
Parking mode g-sensor: High
Parking mode motion sensor: low
Parking mode: auto event detection
Frequency: 60hz (I'm in Canada)
Wifi: Off
GPS Stamp: On, All info
Camera Stamp: Off
Boot Delay: 5 seconds
Screen saver: 30 seconds
Loop Recording: 3 minutes
Wifi: 5ghz, turned off

the rest are default settings.
Thanks for the reply. Just checking if you have any special settings that might make a difference.

Can you also confirm the following?

Bitrate - high?
3-wire hardwire kit?
Rear camera plugged in?
GPS on?

Thanks for the reply. Just checking if you have any special settings that might make a difference.

Can you also confirm the following?

Bitrate - high?
3-wire hardwire kit?
Rear camera plugged in?
GPS on?

Bitrate high
GPS on
3 wire hardwire kit.
rear camera, 1920x1080p+1920x1080p 30fps

Did they change the hardware at some point? Do newer ones have a different GPS mount?
I've never seen this mentioned..?

Did they change the hardware at some point? Do newer ones have a different GPS mount?
I was going to ask the same question! And your camera was probably manufactured in August I wonder if there is any change to the latest camera!

I was going to ask the same question! And your camera was probably manufactured in August I wonder if there is any change to the latest camera!

The newer GPS mounts have support for parking mode: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-3-wire-kit.35898/post-482186

The best way to know is to test it yourself

It’s confirmed on Viofo forum that there was a change to GPS mount to allow parking mode to work.

Viofo administrator posted it here

There is also another thread that mentions newer batches has this fix, provided serial # range to check if you have the new one

Just note that both the camera (mount connection on back) and mount have to accept the 3rd wire sensing. You can't just buy a new mount and have 3rd wire sensing on older units. Also, the undated units were rolled out first on the GPS units, with the non-GPS units to follow. So I'm not sure if they have made any undated non-GPS units yet (though I assume they may have by now). Most stock out there will probably still be the older units since this is a recent change.

Why don't you use the superior Low Bitrate Parking Mode instead, since with that the g-sensor works as you are demanding? Many other people are and are happy with the results.

@Nigel

I use Low Bitrate Parking mode and the G-Sensor does not work in that mode either

@Nigel

I use Low Bitrate Parking mode and the G-Sensor does not work in that mode either

I got the exact same results as you Eric. G-sensor does not work in "any parking mode", low bit rate or buffered parking mode.

As I mentioned somewhere else, we really don't need the g-sensor feature while driving our car. That really serves no purpose. But we do need it for parking. That is the reason why I bought this particular model of dash cam. The package clearly stated that g-sensor was included...

I got the exact same results as you Eric. G-sensor does not work in "any parking mode", low bit rate or buffered parking mode.

As I mentioned somewhere else, we really don't need the g-sensor feature while driving our car. That really serves no purpose. But we do need it for parking. That is the reason why I bought this particular model of dash cam. The package clearly stated that g-sensor was included...

does it gsensor + parking mode work with firmware 1.5? if not, maybe you have a hardware defect.

I have no clue if g-sensor works with firmware 1.5; I have switched from 1.5, to 1.8 and to "1.9 beta" and then finally to the "non-beta 1.9".

The way it is presently with 1.9, the only way to get the g-sensor to activate in "any parking mode" is to smack it around a bit. Absent that, it doesn't get triggered.

I assume I would get the same results with 1.8 and 1.5, but I don't know for sure.

I bought mine 31st May,
It’s confirmed on Viofo forum that there was a change to GPS mount to allow parking mode to work.

Viofo administrator posted it here

There is also another thread that mentions newer batches has this fix, provided serial # range to check if you have the new one

Thanks I will check my serial number, although mine was bought on 31st May so probably too old for the new mount.
Interesting someone says even the old ones will switch after 5mins if the GPS detects no movement.
I'm always a bit concerned that the official hardwire cable gets quite bent when plugged in next the the rear camera cable

IMG_20190906_085554287 - Copy.jpg

@Nigel

I've never had the dashcam pick up anything like me closing the door/tailgate with g-sensor on high in low-bit rate parking mode.
This is running v1.9 firmware from the viofo site. If I get time I will try a bit of hard door slamming and tapping the unit as well.

Last edited:
I've never had the dashcam pick up anything like me closing the door/tailgate with g-sensor on high in low-bit rate parking mode.
This is running v1.8 firmware from the viofo site. If I get time I will try a bit of hard door slamming and tapping the unit as well.
Tapping on the window in front of the camera should do it, I assume that it is designed to filter out door closings, and probably people pressing down on the suspension too since that would be similar to a truck driving past and moving the car slightly in the wind. It should detect impacts, although I wouldn't expect it to catch minor door dings.

It should detect impacts, although I wouldn't expect it to catch minor door dings.
There lies part of the problem - different users' expectations of what the g-sensor is for.

As I asked a few days ago, what is the intended function of the g-sensor in parking mode? If it is for car-to-car impact and not for door-to-car impact, is there any sensible way that we can test it without damaging our cars?

Should we forget about trying to test it, and just expect that it will work when required? As has been said before, if it's a big enough impact - even from the side - there will be enough resultant movement to trigger a recording by motion detection.

Back