Buffered Parking mode

10 mbit, then its no longer low bitrate,,,,,, its not high either.

I can see your parked car getting a mirror torn off, and low bitrate parking mode not being good enough to handle that situation, really this is something i would have to experiment on the day i get a camera that support low bitrate parking mode.
Is it worth updating firmware for Buffering Parking Mode or shall I just be patient and wait till it's working right ?

If there are a public beta out i would give it a try, i have not heard that viofo release unsafe firmware.
So if i had a viofo camera i would for sure give it a try, but i have not kept up to speed on the viofo cameras as i don't own one.
Personally i will be using low bitrate parking mode on a short timer when i get a camera that support it and hard wire kit, but for now i am just looking from the sideline.

It is possible, but there is no obvious difference. 10Mbps will use more card space.
@viofo there are some situations where number plate readability is not good enough with 4Mbps. I would sleep better when I'd have 8-10Mbps option to choose from ;) I know file size will be bigger but still for safety reasons I'd sacrifice card space a bit.
Buffered mode works at 10Mbps front and 8Mbps rear, that would be great for low bitrate mode to choose between 4 and at least 8Mbps. I don't like motion sensor because it's not reliable in low light conditions.

10 mbit, then its no longer low bitrate,,,,,, its not high either.

I can see your parked car getting a mirror torn off, and low bitrate parking mode not being good enough to handle that situation, really this is something i would have to experiment on the day i get a camera that support low bitrate parking mode.
4Mb/s average is plenty for low bitrate 1080, it's almost enough for low bitrate 4K!

4Mb/s average does not mean that it can't do 10Mb/s or even 16Mb/s for the 1 second while your mirror is being torn off.
If there is not much movement about, and then a car passes, number plates tend to still appear in full detail, however it then takes a while for the unimportant image background to be restored.

If you have parked on a busy road then 10Mb/s might be preferable, but then you are probably better off with full bitrate buffered parking mode, or if you have a big enough card or it is for a short enough period then you could leave it recording on normal full bitrate.

I've been testing the 1.8 firmware the last couple days. I've noticed the bitrate of the while driving videos are 16xxx kbps and the buffered parking mode videos are 8xxx kbps. Not sure how these translate to Mb/sec

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No i cant say if a bitrate of say 8 mbit would only take up half of the same recording made with 16mbit, i don't think it correlate just like that, but a lower bitrate for sure mean a smaller file.
I sort of look at bitrate like a multiplier, the higher the better, but higher bitrates also mean bigger files, i have run custom firmware's with faster bitrates and that made my file size for a 3 minute 1080p recording jump to 1 gigabyte instead of the normal 300 or so megabytes.

For me the main thing with parking mode are to "tag" and secure the moment something happen, so constantly recording i will prefer not to deal with cuz it mean 2 things:
1 : you will have to visually detect the damage, and risk driving for days before you notice that dent on the back of your car.
2: even if you do detect yourself a event have occurred, then you have to go over XXX minutes of regular recordings to find the moment,,,,,, which i would of course also happily do is someone rammed my car and left.

I am hoping cameras now are say constantly recording low bitrate, and then upon a event change to full bitrate parking and save that, this way i have the G sensor event as a time stamp and high bitrate recording after that, and leading up to the event i have low bitrate regular recording, that will be easy to find with the time stamp on the G sensor event.

No i cant say if a bitrate of say 8 mbit would only take up half of the same recording made with 16mbit, i don't think it correlate just like that, but a lower bitrate for sure mean a smaller file.
I sort of look at bitrate like a multiplier, the higher the better, but higher bitrates also mean bigger files, i have run custom firmware's with faster bitrates and that made my file size for a 3 minute 1080p recording jump to 1 gigabyte instead of the normal 300 or so megabytes.

For me the main thing with parking mode are to "tag" and secure the moment something happen, so constantly recording i will prefer not to deal with cuz it mean 2 things:
1 : you will have to visually detect the damage, and risk driving for days before you notice that dent on the back of your car.
2: even if you do detect yourself a event have occurred, then you have to go over XXX minutes of regular recordings to find the moment,,,,,, which i would of course also happily do is someone rammed my car and left.

I am hoping cameras now are say constantly recording low bitrate, and then upon a event change to full bitrate parking and save that, this way i have the G sensor event as a time stamp and high bitrate recording after that, and leading up to the event i have low bitrate regular recording, that will be easy to find with the time stamp on the G sensor event.
Great concept. Hoping Viofo implements something like that.

all problems described here for 1.8 are valid with v 1.5 also
it just happens randomly....
sometimes works fine & sometimes stops & turns off.
in worst cases the camera "freezes" & needs to be restarted.
it is a bug or a defect in the HK3 voltage cut off box...

Sounds good in theory. In practice, at least with buffered FW on the A129, there is a gap of a few seconds between the low bitrate and the full bitrate video while the camera switches modes.

On V1.8 there's two G-sencor and Motion Detection settings, what do you guys set it at? I have parking mode on Low Bitrate so what's the most efficient setting for it. I used to set PM on Auto Event but it's constantly on so now I'm using Low Bitrate mode.

On V1.8 there's two G-sencor and Motion Detection settings, what do you guys set it at? I have parking mode on Low Bitrate so what's the most efficient setting for it. I used to set PM on Auto Event but it's constantly on so now I'm using Low Bitrate mode.

It constantly records in Low Bitrate Mode also. In Auto Event Detection it'll only save recordings when motion or shock from the G sensor is detected and only in 45 second clips.

I use the following Parking Mode settings...

Auto Event Detection
G-sensor: High
Motion: Low

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's what I said about time lapse parking mode like blackvue has, would be nice in case of impact change to full bitrate continuous video with 12 seconds buffered video before impact

It is fixed, check this version.
I just installed this version 1.8. So far so good, the only thing i'm noticing and i'm not sure if this is already a known issue, or if I misunderstood the settings of the parking modes. I currently have mine set to auto event detection parking mode and it is working for motion for sure, however its stopping recording at the 45 second mark regardless if theres still motion going on in the area (or maybe the motion is just outside of the range its checking i have it set to medium). I can't remember if thats how it's supposed to be or if it's supposed to continue recording until there isn't motion in the frame for 15 seconds or something. If thats how its planned/supposed to work, wondering if I could submit that as a potential request.

The parking mode files are limited to 45 seconds duration. If the motion continues beyond 45 seconds, the camera will start another video file. There may be some overlap between the files.

I just installed this version 1.8. So far so good, the only thing i'm noticing and i'm not sure if this is already a known issue, or if I misunderstood the settings of the parking modes. I currently have mine set to auto event detection parking mode and it is working for motion for sure, however its stopping recording at the 45 second mark regardless if theres still motion going on in the area (or maybe the motion is just outside of the range its checking i have it set to medium). I can't remember if thats how it's supposed to be or if it's supposed to continue recording until there isn't motion in the frame for 15 seconds or something. If thats how its planned/supposed to work, wondering if I could submit that as a potential request.

Can you check if the cam will record for entire night?

With me sometimes the cam stops recording randomly. It remains on but with recording anything...

Thanks

Can you check if the cam will record for entire night?

With me sometimes the cam stops recording randomly. It remains on but with recording anything...

Thanks
Ill check it out this morning when I get to work and bring the sd card in and will confirm if it recorded all night. It did night before last but that was on v1.5 firmware.

The parking mode files are limited to 45 seconds duration. If the motion continues beyond 45 seconds, the camera will start another video file. There may be some overlap between the files.
ahhh gotcha that makes sense, the motion must be happening just outside of the detection area for it to continue at that point on some of these im looking at. at the end of the video I see cars pulling away about 30-40 feet or so away from the car so its probably the distance. Thanks!

Ill check it out this morning when I get to work and bring the sd card in and will confirm if it recorded all night. It did night before last but that was on v1.5 firmware.
Looks like it did not record throughout the night. It stopped about 10pm last night and didnt record anything again until I fired up the truck this morning. Looks like Ill be using low bitrate parking mode for now.

Looks like it did not record throughout the night. It stopped about 10pm last night and didnt record anything again until I fired up the truck this morning. Looks like Ill be using low bitrate parking mode for now.
Was the camera off when you got in your truck this morning?

@viofo

Yes! I get exactly same problem. The cam remains on without recording anything. Like you i switched to low buffered mode.

That bug was on V1.7 and is not fixed yet.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back