C lens going out of focus?

More pics of newly shipped C lenses (came with new cases) via Ebay seller eletoponline365.
It's a bit hard to see in your photos, but it looks like your lenses doesn't have any specks like my lens. Can you see anything like this in either of your new lenses?
image.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in your photos, but it looks like your lenses doesn't have any specks like my lens. Can you see anything like this in either of your new lenses?

Nope - they look spotless even in close light.

Nope - they look spotless even in close light.
That's what I was expecting to hear.

I'll have to do some tests, hopefully they aren't visible in outdoor recordings, it would suck to get two faulty lenses in a row.

Look at the date on the new module it says January 9, 2015. Does it mean they knew about this issue but kept selling the old batch that we have issues with? I hope its not the case.

Look at the date on the new module it says January 9, 2015. Does it mean they knew about this issue but kept selling the old batch that we have issues with? I hope its not the case.
The same thought had crossed my mind, but perhaps the thicker backplate was for the new ribbon cable clip and it was a coincidence that the thicker plate would help the heat issues?

Banggood responded to confirm that SKU204671 was the correct replacement part. I responded and requested they ship it expedited with a tracking number.

Received my new Mobius with the 'C' lens from SpyTec yesterday. Haven't had much chance to do anything besides configure it (Blackhawks played game 1 against the Predators last night. Awesome game, btw). Anyhow, I found it odd that the firmware that was installed (v1.17, I think) didn't even have the 'C' lens option. Will snap some comparison pics and record some video to check for focus issues over the next couple of days (between hockey games). ;)

Received my new Mobius with the 'C' lens from SpyTec yesterday. Haven't had much chance to do anything besides configure it (Blackhawks played game 1 against the Predators last night. Awesome game, btw). Anyhow, I found it odd that the firmware that was installed (v1.17, I think) didn't even have the 'C' lens option. Will snap some comparison pics and record some video to check for focus issues over the next couple of days (between hockey games). ;)
Update firmware and miracle will happen: C lens option appear!:)

Update firmware and miracle will happen: C lens option appear!:)
Yes, I noticed that. I had just assumed that if you're going to ship a product, that product should have the proper firmware loaded to support the attachments it was sent with. How silly of me! ;)

Here's a side-by-side of my "A" and "C" models. The "A" (left) is about 1.5 months older than the "C" (right).
aP1000080.jpg

Any reports of problems with new revised C lens module with improved back plate?

looks like the problem is not solved with revised C lens module

not only that, it has some new problems
(lens is clean)

when i tried to unscrew the lens to play with the focus, threading came out with the screw, and now i have revised - loose - blurry - heat sensitive lens with rainbow effect and a problem if i want to put the old C lens again because i ****ed up the case for the new lens

Last edited:
Is it possible to use the first rev C-lens with the B-lens sensor housing?

Should be, I'm planning to try it next week (actually with an A-lens module)

It appears that I was shipped a Mobius C camera with the latest version of the lens. All in all, after trying different things with it and refocusing several times I am not completely pleased with the image quality when compared to my other Mobius lenses.

So I did basically the opposite of the above question. As an experiment, I installed a "B" lens in the "C" housing because I want to clarify whether the issues I am seeing are in the lens or the sensor. Aside from that I'm just curious to see what happens. About a year ago, I ordered a B module from Banggood that was defective. They were very good about promptly sending me a replacement after I sent screen shots demonstrating the bad sensor mine came with and this is why I just happen to have a spare B lens to do this experiment with. I will report back in a few days with the results.

BTW, it was not especially easy to screw the B lens into the C housing. It took a bit of coaxing to get it in far enough to focus properly. The threads in the FRP sensor housing have been very difficult to work with no matter which lens is used in it.

Edit: I just swapped lenses this morning so as of now I have no idea what results I will get. One of the things I plan to try is to see if there is any difference in the image if I use the "C" setting or the "B" setting in mSetup.

Last edited:
I purchased a (new style) C lens Mobius from Buymobius.com just last week. So far it's looking good, as far as heat sensitive focus.
We had one of our warmest days here yesterday and I left the Mobius in direct sun for about 3 hours and the video before and after looks basically identical.
I do get a sense that it's not perfectly in focus but every time I have something to test it on, it looks good. The video is as good or better than the 0803 it's eventually going to replace.

It appears that I was shipped a Mobius C camera with the latest version of the lens. All in all, after trying different things with it and refocusing several times I am not completely pleased with the image quality when compared to my other Mobius lenses.

So I did basically the opposite of the above question. As an experiment, I installed a "B" lens in the "C" housing because I want to clarify whether the issues I am seeing are in the lens or the sensor. Aside from that I'm just curious to see what happens. About a year ago, I ordered a B module from Banggood that was defective. They were very good about promptly sending me a replacement after I sent screen shots demonstrating the bad sensor mine came with and this is why I just happen to have a spare B lens to do this experiment with. I will report back in a few days with the results.

BTW, it was not especially easy to screw the B lens into the C housing. It took a bit of coaxing to get it in far enough to focus properly. The threads in the FRP sensor housing have been very difficult to work with no matter which lens is used in it.

Edit: I just swapped lenses this morning so as of now I have no idea what results I will get. One of the things I plan to try is to see if there is any difference in the image if I use the "C" setting or the "B" setting in mSetup.
What is it that you specifically don't like?

What is it that you specifically don't like?

Basically, despite my best efforts there is a distinct lack of sharpness and critical focus compared to my other Mobius cameras and other lenses. At first when I refocused the lens I thought I had fixed it but then I noticed things still weren't quite right.
I began to realize that objects in the middle of the frame and to the left are not as sharp and clear as they should be while objects to the right side of the frame are much sharper and more in focus.

Here is a screen shot from a few days ago. Notice that the car in front of me and the car coming towards me on the opposite side of the road are not very sharp but the house on the right, about the same distance away as the silver car is. I've tried several times to find an optimal focus point but can't.

mobiusC.jpg

Here, in this screen crop notice that you can't read a license plate of a car in front of me in slow traffic.
This is after two attempts to refocus in web cam mode on my computer screen when I thought I had it fixed.
grab.png

Last edited:
Basically, despite my best efforts there is a distinct lack of sharpness and critical focus compared to my other Mobius cameras and other lenses. At first when I refocused the lens I thought I had fixed it but then I noticed things still weren't quite right.
I began to realize that objects in the middle of the frame and to the left are not as sharp and clear as they should be while objects to the right side of the frame are much sharper and more in focus.

Here is a screen shot from a few days ago. Notice that the car in front of me and the car coming towards me on the opposite side of the road are not very sharp but the house on the right, about the same distance away as the silver car is. I've tried several times to find an optimal focus point but can't.

View attachment 13189

Here, in this screen crop notice that you can't read a license plate of a car in front of me in slow traffic.
This is after two attempts to refocus in web cam mode on my computer screen when I thought I had it fixed.
View attachment 13190
what res do you get in webcam mode?

Back