Canada Dash Cam- Calgary Canada My buying experience

Did I do anything wrong?- I have lost $169 so far.

• Just take the lost and post more reviews

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

QUC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I ordered a "Black Hawk" during the 2014 Black Friday Sale. The first unit I got was defective. I received a replacement just before Christmas. The rubber portion of the mount fell off during initial use. I requested a replacement. Jason wanted me to pay for the shipping. I told him there was no mention about shipping about shipping on the warranty policy. (accessories has 6 months warranty- unless they change it now) Jason agreed to send it to me free of shipping charges just before year end.. I thought that was a great customer services. I requested the tracking number after waiting for a few days. Jason said he sent it by regular mail. All previous shipments (initial shipment and replacement shipment) has tracking number.

As of today, I am still waiting for the replacement mount. I am not able to use the dash cam.

The warranty policy on accessories is not as good as the dash cam.

I tested the dash cam today by putting on the passenger seat. It showed a blue rectangular
"memory error" message and then it turned off. This is similar to the problem I had with the first units. I tried formatting on the dash camera. Problem not resolved.

Based on what I was told a month ago, I formatted the SD card on my computer. It showed
"Mass Storage" message. I am not sure if it is the problem with the SD card or the unit.

I told Jason on the email and he told me to send it back but I have to pay for shipping.
Again, I don't see why I have to pay for shipping like the first defective unit.

I paid $169.00 for the unit plus accessories and shipping and I don't even have a chance to use it.

Update: Jan 14, 2015 1:26 am

5 days rule imposed on the warranty when I didn't even have a chance to use it
since I received the replacement on Dec 23, 2015

Jason said in his email

Based on our policy, if the camera doesn't work out of the box, and you contact us within 5 business days, we will pay the shipping back to our company. After the 5 business days, the customer is responsible for shipping to us. If the camera is defective, I will ship you another at my cost.

get-attachment.aspx

I received the replacement dash cam on Dec 23, 2014

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:04 AM
To: Jason | Canada Dashcam
Subject: Re: [CANADA DASHCAM] Contact Form from December 04 at 3:32PM

received the unit
the rubber cup broke off after I tried to remove it.

Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 10:32 PM

thx
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:30 PM
To: alcanada123

Here ya go: 8266951021379746

alcanada123
Friday, December 19, 2014 7:24 PM
hi Jason
can you give me the tracking number?
I am not working some of the days next week.
thanks
Q
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:12 PM

Hi,

I've got a new one coming to you today.

Jason

I don't see why I should pay for any shipping on a warranty replacement/repair that is well within the 5 days since I CAN NOT use the dash cam since I received it on Dec 23, 2014.

By the way, I told Jason about the broken camera mount on the first day I received the replacement camera with the mount. That was within 5 days and Jason still charge me shipping.

I can not rate on the dash camera but I can tell you this is my worst on-line buying experience.

HASSLE FREE WARRANTY POLICY MEANS I SHOULD GET WHAT I PAID FOR AND NOTHING MORE. WARRANTY MEANS CUSTOMER DO NOT PAY ANYTHING MORE
TO GET WHAT THE CUSTOMERS INITIALLY PAY FOR

Last edited:
I ordered a "Black Hawk" from WWW.Canadadashcam.com during the 2014 Black Friday Sale. The first unit I got was defective. I received a replacement just before Christmas. The rubber portion of the mount fell off during initial use. I requested a replacement. Jason wanted me to pay for the shipping. I told him there was no mention about shipping about shipping on the warranty policy. (accessories has 6 months warranty- unless they change it now) Jason agreed to send it to me free of shipping charges just before year end.. I thought that was a great customer services. I requested the tracking number after waiting for a few days. Jason said he sent it by regular mail. All previous shipments (initial shipment and replacement shipment) has tracking number.

As of today, I am still waiting for the replacement mount. I am not able to use the dash cam.

The warranty policy on accessories is not as good as the dash cam.

I tested the dash cam today by putting on the passenger seat. It showed a blue rectangular
"memory error" message and then it turned off. This is similar to the problem I had with the first units. I tried formatting on the dash camera. Problem not resolved.

Based on what I was told a month ago, I formatted the SD card on my computer. It showed
"Mass Storage" message. I am not sure if it is the problem with the SD card or the unit.

I told Jason on the email and he told me to send it back but I have to pay for shipping.
Again, I don't see why I have to pay for shipping like the first defective unit.

I paid $169.00 for the unit plus accessories and shipping and I don't even have a chance to use it.

Update: Jan 14, 2015 1:26 am

5 days rule imposed on the warranty when I didn't even have a chance to use it
since I received the replacement on Dec 23, 2015

Jason said in his email

Based on our policy, if the camera doesn't work out of the box, and you contact us within 5 business days, we will pay the shipping back to our company. After the 5 business days, the customer is responsible for shipping to us. If the camera is defective, I will ship you another at my cost.

get-attachment.aspx

I received the replacement dash cam on Dec 23, 2014

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:04 AM

received the unit
the rubber cup broke off after I tried to remove it.

Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 10:32 PM

thx
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:30 PM

Here ya go: 8266951021379746

alcanada123
Friday, December 19, 2014 7:24 PM
hi Jason
can you give me the tracking number?
I am not working some of the days next week.
thanks
Q
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:12 PM

Hi,

I've got a new one coming to you today.

Jason

I don't see why I should pay for any shipping on a warranty replacement/repair that is well within the 5 days since I CAN NOT use the dash cam since I received it on Dec 23, 2014.

By the way, I told Jason about the broken camera mount on the first day I received the replacement camera with the mount. That was within 5 days and Jason still charge me shipping.

I can not rate on the dash camera but I can tell you this is my worst on-line buying experience.

HASSLE FREE WARRANTY POLICY MEANS I SHOULD GET WHAT I PAID FOR AND NOTHING MORE. WARRANTY MEANS CUSTOMER DO NOT PAY ANYTHING MORE
TO GET WHAT THE CUSTOMERS INITIALLY PAY FOR

There is no winner when this kind of case happened.

Customers paid and need good quality product and good service,
The reseller might think we have done our best for the first replacement, why do happen there is other trouble.

No one is wrong, fighting means nothing, email forth or back is waste of time,

I think the shipping cost within Canada is not too much, why not have a phone call says, it is fine we do free shipping to you now.

I am saying above, because we do shipping from China to our customers worldwide, for sure, there are unexpected cases happened, but we need to let our customer happy, that is our experience.

Rockthinking- thanks for your reply.

My knowledge on dash cam is very limited.

I ordered the dash cam during their Black Friday sales in Nov 2014

Jason told me to try a few things before he told me to send back the defective dash cam and everything including the SD card, mount and all wires to him. He confirmed that the dash cam was defective. He sent me a replacement dash camera but the mount and SD card was the same one I sent back.

The mount was attached to the defective unit when I sent it back and the SD card was also inside the dash camera.

The rubber portion of the mount fell off on the first time I use it. I request a replacement for the mount. Jason said I have to pay for the shipping... I don't see why I have to. The mount broke on the first day I got it back. Eventually,
Jason told me he sent it by regular mail. It has been 13 days since then and I still did not receive the replacement mount.

I was very upset. My friend suggested me to turn on the replacement dash camera just to make it has no further problem. I turned it on and put it on the passenger seat but not aiming at the road. (can not mount it). Within 30 minutes, a blue rectangular message "memory error" pop up and turned off by itself in 10 seconds.
This is the similar problem with the previous defective unit. I am not able to format the unit on the camera so I formatted it on my computer. Now, the message said "Massive storage" and froze.

Jason told me to pay for return shipping. I don't see why I have to pay anything. I didn't even have a chance to use the dash camera. With my experience with this dash camera, I don't know how many times I have to ship it back.

Jason told me they have thousands customers. I hope they have better luck than me. I am stuck with a piece of $169.00 JUNK.

I was referred to Canadadashcam by a driving school owner. He told me some of his student and their friends has recommended this store. I told him about my experience. Hope you guys have better luck.

Obviously, I can not use the dash camera until I get a new mount.

I do understand you, the advice I would like to give you is,

Have a call to tell him you are willing to pay the shipping fee and let him send the mount to you asap.
Once you get mount and installed, you can forget this pieces of things.

I believe you do understand, customer is not always God.

The issue now is the replacement unit is not working.

Jason wants me to pay for shipping too. can not use the replacement cam when the mount broke on the first day and now Jason said I have passed the 5 days.

I don't think I will win anything. I have never dealt with a seller that is so unreasonable.

if I got a working dash cam on the first shipment, I will not be wasting time here.

The only thing I did wrong was to buy from Canada dashcam.

Last edited:
Do you want to lose $169 plus your time? or,
Pay small amount of additional shipping fee to get what you need?

First of all, I didn't exceed the 5 days limit.

The mount fell off the first day I got it back and the dash cam failed the first time I tested it.

This forum is to let people know what happened to me.

if I pay the return shipping and the unit I get back still have other problem, then what? How many times do I have to pay for return shipping?

I hate to lose $169 and that is why I am posting here to let others know.

I had dealt with many sellers from China and I had very good experience. In one case, they exchanged the unit I bought three times until I finally get a workable one. The shipping charges cost more than the thing I bought.

More updates from Canada Dashcam.com Jan 15, 2015

The new warranty policy is now 90 days Limited Warranty- and not 5 days free shipping warranty.

When I ordered the "black Hawk" on Nov 27, 2014, the warranty was one year for the dash cam and 6 months for the accessories. The warranty did not mention who pays the return shipping. I have to one free return shipping on the first defective dash camera and I should not expect to pay for the second defective dash camera and mount. I only used it once on the day I received the first replacement then the mount broke. I was not able to use the dash camera until my friend told mr to just turn the dash camera on to test it. It has the similar problem like the first one after 30 minutes.

I recommend anyone who is considered buying from Canada Dashcam to make a screen shot of the warranty policy because you may be surprized when you need warranty repair or replacement.

In case anyone who bought a "Black Hawk" like I did and needs a copy of the warranty policy before Dec 31, 2014,

Warranty Policy & Hassle-Free Returns
Warranty Policy
It is very important to us that all of our products come with a warranty period. We only work with distributors & manufactures that offer full warranties.
logo_clear_bg_compact.png

We provide a complimentary one (1) year limited warranty (unless otherwise stated on the product page) that covers any defects or malfunction of our dash cameras. Battery depletion over time is normal, and is not considered a defect.Accessories have a warranty period of six (6) months from date of purchase.

I wonder if all those who bought unit 2 weeks ago is aware of the changes on the warranty....

One year warranty is 365 days (366 on leap year) and 6 months is 180 days. 90 days is about 3 months --that is a reduction of 9 months....

See Limited Warranty as of Jan 15, 2014 at the bottom.

The "Black Hawk" Dash Camera

$99.99 CAD $149.99 CAD

• Description
  • Features
  • Specs.
  • Video Sample
  • Warranty
  • New for 2014 is The "Black Hawk" Dash Camera. This model is an upgrade from The "Hawkeye" Dash Camera. It uses the same high quality sensor and board, however the shell has been upgraded, by popular demand to an all black design, to keep your camera entirely discreet. One major change is the lens has been upgrade to 140 degrees.

What's is included in my purchase?
    • The "Black Hawk" Dashcam
    • 360° Suction Cup Mount, Mini USB Cable, Power Cable, Manual
    • Life-Time Technical Support via Toll-Free Phone Number
    Optional Accessories
    • Hard-Wire Installation Kit
    • Mounts: Rear-View Mirror Mount, 3M Adhesive Mount
    • Extra Power Cord
    • Full HD 1080P Resolution, 30FPS
    • New All-Black Design
    • Operates during day & night conditions
    • 140 Degree Ultra Wide Angle Lens
    • 2.7" LCD Display
    • Seamless Loop Recording
    • WDR (Wide Dynamic Range)
    • Auto On/Off
    • 10' Power Cable
    • G-Sensor (Automatically locks video when in a collision)
    • Built-in Microphone/Speaker
    • Easy to install
  • CMOS Sensor: Aptina AR0330
    Board: Novatek 96650
    Lens: Fixed focus lens
    Zoom: 4x Digital Zoom
    LCD Display: 2.7" 16:9 TFT LCD
    Lens Angle: 140 degree ultra wide angle lens
    Night Video: Enhanced LED Lights
    Video Output:
    AV(SVBS): composite TV signal output NTSC/PAL, High definition TV terminal interface: HDMI output

Picture: JPG file format Maximum output pixel: 5.0 Mega Pixel
    Video Resolution:
    1920x1080, 30fps H.264:

1280x720, 60fps, 848x480, 30fps, 640x480, 30fps

Audio: Bulit-in Microphone/Speaker(AAC)
    G-Sensor Support
    Memory: External Media: SDHC (support 32gb Max, TF Card, not included)
    Port: USB/HDMI/AV/Micro SD card slot
    Language: English, French, Portugal, Italian, Chinese, Russuan, Japanese, Deutsch, Espanol
    Shutter: Electronic shutter
    Size: 4.5"L x 2.25"H x 1.25"D
    Battery: 3.7V 200mAh Poly
  • Please ensure you change the quaulity setting (bottom right, gear button) to 1080P or better. This will ensure your viewing the best video quality. The raw file (directly off the camera) will be slightly better, as YouTube compresses the video sample.
  • A trouble-free ninety (90) day limited warranty is included on the device from date of purchase.
"
Vendor: Canada Dashcam

Last edited:
Does anyone know who manufactured "Black Hawk" ?

New to this area.

What does public model means?

By the way, I am looking for a reliable dash cam. Any suggestion?

Public model product is available to any assembly factory, they just buy the parts and put it together, very difficult to trace the origin of the product, to make matters worse the public model product parts are available through multiple suppliers and it's not all the same

So that is a ****tail model. No wonder both are defective.

it worked for less than one hour then all hell broke loose.

Do you know the manufacturer for Blackvue, Vicovation and Luks or major distributor in Canada?

The reason I asked because a friend of mine owns over 5 car dealerships. His staff told him there is a high demand for dash cam but he only wants to deal with the best products.

I know most of the manufacturers, buy off someone reputable, for North America I'd say (in no particular order) look at Reeyewitness, Spytec and Pier28 and see if they have what you want

Pier28 only deals with quality DashCam products. To top it off, our customer service and support is as good as it gets. :)

are they in Toronto area?

• On the Company’s website

http://canadadashcam.com/

Why purchase from Canada Dashcam.com?
  • Value - We only sell the best valued dash cameras in the marketplace.
  • Quality - We only offer products that record at Full HD 1080P resolution.
  • Warranty - We provide a complimentary one (1) year limited warranty that covers any defects or malfunction of the dash camera. If the product stops working or is malfunctioning, we will replace it.
  • Customer Service - We answer all questions and concerns via email. Before your purchase and after!
  • Shipping - We process your order the same day. FedEx or Canada Post will have your order within 24 hours. Tracking number provided

Warranty is different depending which page you are reading.
Shipping -tracking number provided-Jason said he shipped my replacement mount by regular mail. It has been over 20 days. I am still waiting for the replacement mount.

Back