Choosing a First Dash Cam

The realistic solution may be dual forward cameras with different view angles or a dedicated bumper cam. KuoH
There would be another elegant solution: dual chips/lens camera, something 2 in 1 solution. Or a powerful chip serving 2 lens, one wider angle, other less wide angle. Or, a science-fiction camera with adaptive optics, as used in my passion, the astronomy... :)

What did the original poster end up choosing, if you've made a selection yet? Other than the huge task of choosing the right camera, Im mostly concerned with who to buy from (I dont often buy outside the US).

What did the original poster end up choosing, if you've made a selection yet? Other than the huge task of choosing the right camera, Im mostly concerned with who to buy from (I dont often buy outside the US).

What do you need in terms of a DashCam? GPS a must? Night Time Quality a deal breaker? size? Screen?
In regards to making an actual purchase as long as you look through the Recommended sellers for the cam you decide on and check the Vendor feed back area you should be okay.

What do you need in terms of a DashCam? GPS a must? Night Time Quality a deal breaker? size? Screen?
In regards to making an actual purchase as long as you look through the Recommended sellers for the cam you decide on and check the Vendor feed back area you should be okay.
I didnt want to hijack this thread with my own needs...but here goes...
Im looking for a dashcam with very good day recording (which Im sure isnt hard to find) and average or good night time quality. Night time quality is not a deal breaker. I would like GPS for the on-screen speed stamp (MPH instead of KPH as an option). I would like small to average size. Something that doesnt stand out too much and I would feel safe leaving in the car at times. I would like a screen. I think it would be easier for menu changes or quick review, but no screen isnt a deal breaker.

Those with cameras without screens, is it a pain to make changes to the camera?

After spending a week on this site, I dont think I'm any closer to making a decision. ;) But I'm definitely learning more. I've worked in IT for 11 years, and I've never been so overwhelmed with an electronics purchase. I think the big cause of that is lack of product that is US sold or based. I cant go anywhere and get my hands on these to play with and see in person. Other than police, I think its still pretty rare for US drivers to have these.

I think I'll be buying a neutral vf300w since it seems exactly same to gt300w even in side by side, but still talking to some vf300w+gt300w owners.

Im looking for a dashcam with very good day recording (which Im sure isnt hard to find) and average or good night time quality. Night time quality is not a deal breaker. I would like GPS for the on-screen speed stamp (MPH instead of KPH as an option). I would like small to average size. Something that doesnt stand out too much and I would feel safe leaving in the car at times. I would like a screen. I think it would be easier for menu changes or quick review, but no screen isnt a deal breaker.

They all have good day quality now, it's a matter of how important night is for you. For average night, they all have that too. A K6000 for $38 is more than enough for any daily driver. Since you say GPS is important though, the mini 0801 sounds like your thing. It trades night quality for GPS basically, and also is quite small. Though all the dash cams are very small, I don't think you need to worry about that.

Since you say GPS is important though, the mini 0801 sounds like your thing. It trades night quality for GPS basically, and also is quite small. Though all the dash cams are very small, I don't think you need to worry about that.
Thats exactly what I am leaning towards. The mini 0801. Now Im just trying to find the right dealer to buy from I think. Reviewing the vendor feedback forum and messaging a few people to get some opinions.

Oh, I did have 1 concern about the mini 0801...on the FAQ at http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/, it says no MPH option is available. Is this true? Was hoping new firmware would allow MPH. (not a dealbreaker though)

If you want to buy from a U.S. reseller you can try SpyTec.
http://www.spytecinc.com
http://www.spytecinc.com/mini-0801-car-dash-camera-w-gps-logger.html#.UmBDW1AgfTc

Or Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=E-PRANCE&node=15684181

I got a question - is the LS3000 a vf300, ie a neutral gt300w that just does 12mb's and that's the only apparent difference?

I'm watching kain's ls3000 uploads and the quality is WAY worse than the gt300w, it's very noticeable. It's also in AVI. I'm wondering if his ls3000 is really a different cam altogether and isn't a clone, or if just the vf300w-style 12mb/s is a lot worse and just isn't as noticeable in niko's comparisons.

Bump. I mean this thread is 6 pages and still can't tell. Niko's comparison makes me think that there's no reason you should get a gt300w over a neutral, vf300w, but Kain's comparison of his ls3000 makes it look like crap. So I'm wondering what's going on there, is a ls3000 same as a vf3

I just want a straight answer on the LS3000, VF300w, and GT300w. I'll likely err on the side of higher quality, but I'm getting conflicting reports. Someone is telling me that the LS3000 is way ****tier than the GT300w, and it appears so in the videos they uploaded. Then Niko has a video showing the vf300w and gt300w are identical in quality.

Is the LS3000 a totally different cam, did niko's videos just appear more similar than they really are and maybe in real life it's a bigger difference but niko is incapable of possibly saying which cam he prefers... I mean i'm not asking a subjective question here.

According to their prices, those more expensive cameras have better finish, better materials, better QC, better support etc. The others make compromises in order to decrease the price. If you accept those compromises and you have look, you can buy a good and cheap camera, obviously, from your list.

According to their prices, those more expensive cameras have better finish, better materials, better QC, better support etc.

Why do you say that? I thought the build, etc, was exactly the same? I asked niko and he did not say there was any noticeable difference in build quality. As for support, it doesn't sound like any of these companies have good support, even DOD appears to have poor support. I mean support is a matter of whether they take it back or not if it's defective, which I'm sure they'll all do.

The compromise to the vf300w, as I understand, is the 12mb/s recording.

If the gt300w, 450, 550, 680w, etc, have better build quality and QC for sure, then I'll buy that instead, but I have read nothing that indicates that is the case. Only people guessing that to be the case. But we know that isn't always true, because for example the GT300w for ~$100 vs the $200 dod ls300w.

I understand you 'get what you pay for', and I don't mind paying $100, but I'd like to make a smarter, informed decision. There's a reason everyone isn't saying 'omg gt300w crap why dont you get the $250 lukas, you get what you pay for" because certain cams give you more than 'what you pay for' and are a really good value.

I have read nothing to indicate that the vf300w is any worse than a gt300w, only that it's 12mb's and completely, unnoticeably lower quality in recording. Except by Kain, who has shown his ls3000 to be much worse, but is the ls3000 = vf300w, or is it a totally different, not even novatek cam?

OK, clear, you're good informed. Then why do you want that other people make the decision, instead? Make the big step and order what your feeling says. At least if you're wrong, you'll not blame the others. :)

I'd rather not leave it to feeling. It's basically just is the LS3000 a VF300w clone or is it a totally different cam altogether.

My gut tells me that the ls3000 is a totally different cam altogether and I should get the vf300w/neutral/givoe/non-brand cam, but if it really is the same cam and niko's video's just don't clearly portray the huge difference between the cams because of how he uploaded it, and in real life they look drastically different, that'd really suck. So if niko could just clarify if the VF300w and GT300w looks exactly the same in real life, to him, and it's not an uploader issue, or if they actually look different to him, something that is lost in translation over the internet, that'd be really helpful.

But niko is afraid that if I get the vf300w and it catches on fire, I'll blame him, as if that would mean anything even if I did, and as if I couldn't blame him if a gt300w caught on fire either.

It's a simple question. I'm not in a rush to make a bad decision. I'll patiently wait until someone can give a clear answer on this.

Kain's upload of the GT300w vs LS3000 look night and day, the ls3000 DEFINITELY looks crappy, it's got a yellow/orange tinge, it's obviously 2 different cams. Contrast to niko, where it looks so identical that even the vf300w almost seems to be higher quality, it's that close.

So either:
1. Niko's vf300w is actually a lot worse than the gt300w, we just don't see it due to how he uploaded, encoded, whatever, to which niko could simply answer the question "Hey Niko, does the vf300w look so identical to the gt300w video in person, or does it only appear that way after you uploaded to youtube?"

2. Kain's LS3000 is not a novatek clone of the Gt300w with 12mb's, and is a totally different cam than what the VF300w/givoe/neutral/etc cams are. It's also possible his upload of the LS3000 was bad, but it'd be odd for his ls3000 upload to be inaccurately bad but his gt300w upload was fine.

3. There is a wide variety in the neutral/givoe/nonbrand rip-off clones and they are all not created equal.

I'm not asking people to recommend a cam here necessarily, or if I should buy the higher quality model or save the money and go for value. I'm asking a very objective question here.

Last edited:
You can see in niko's test the raw video files, not only youtube ones. You'll see that vf and ls perform even slightly better than dod original.

Last edited:
I did. So does that mean the LS3000 is not the same as a vf300w/neutral/givoe?

So is Kain the only person to have bought an ls3000? Kain, where did you buy your ls3000?

Or what if it's a QC issue, like some vf300s are awesome and some just suck?

Back