Compatible SD cards??

There is also space that needs to be reserved for the recording cycle as well, it won't use all available space

linni said:
Pebo said:
That being said, 11 hours for a 64GB card doesn't sound like it is much of an improvement over the 9 hours and 24 minutes the manual suggests that a 32 GB card should get at Full HD 1920x1080, 30fps and no compression. What am I missing?

You are missing the fact, that Dscheng is using custom firmware, which is recording at 12 Mbps. Stock firmware records at 7,5 Mbps at normal (=without) compression. Which means with 64GB card you can achieve 17,6 hours of recording time at best quality.

By the way, koreans do also bad math :lol:
9 hours and 24 minutes for 32GB card, you can find in Blackvue`s manual, is calculated on 32 GB basis. But the card`s capacity is not 32 GB, it is 29,8 GB. So, the real max recording time is accordingly 8,8 hours = 8 hours 48 minutes.

Math was a strong point in school, but it's been so long since I've really had to do any real calculations, now I too am kind of bad at it, really more like lazy :p

Anyhow, I am now understanding that there are different firmware offered and appreciate your knowledge. Unfortunately, this is an off subject, so I will have to find another topic location to post on to find out more information. I'm curious as to whether the 12 Mbps is worth digging for an update and what it will offer.

Again, this has been a great thread, I've learned a lot and have enjoyed the posts and help of everyone here. Thanks all!!

Here's the formula for calculating
0_b113d_b2f52776_L.jpeg

So does anyone think Pettasoft can or will make 64GB cards compatible in future firmware updates? (so we can format 64GB card in the camera like any other smaller card)
What would be the business reason for them not to do so?

All these custom firmware work arounds for higher bit rates and special utilities just to format/use larger microSD cards is wild. I hope Pittasoft is reading these forms to see what we really want here.

The 128 and 256 run into a completely different format of card all together. Different pin set ups and whatnot.

The difference between SDHC and SDXC. HC is High Capacity as XC is extended capacity. XC has a second series of pins to increase data transfer rates, as you'll notice the XC cards are all class 10 and higher. And before anyone argues, yes, it goes higher than class 10. You run into the ranges of UHS 1 and 2 class cards by this point. Standard class 10 runs around 25 - 30 mb/s, UHS 1 runs aroud 40 - 50 mb/s and the UHS 2 doubles or in some cases even tripples that.

Why companies aren't using the XC format is that the HC is more widely available still, and for a better price range. That and from what I've read, the XC cards are supposedly backwards compatible, but now we run into the limitations of Firmware.

So the question now is, why don't they just fix their firmware? It's easier and cheaper to just buy the firmware as a -in the box- style set up than to employ programers to do it the right way.

rockyrr said:
I want to buy a micro 32GB SD card for my DR500GW-HD dash cam. Exactly what type of SD card should I be looking for that works with my cam, and where is a good place to buy one?

I ask this because I've found that there are differences and not all will function properly with all devices (photo cams, video cams, etc.).

Thanks,
Rocky

I am using Toshiba Exceria 32GB (Type HD, Class 10, UHS-I, Read 95MB/s, Write 30MB/s). In Hong Kong, some batches of Sandisk Ultra have problems so most people use either Toshiba or Samsung.

Thanks for the info on 128+.

So which 64's have folks had the most luck with for the Blackvue? Sorry if this was already stated and I missed it.

I needed about 9 hours this weekend and only got about 7 on my 32GB, so a 64GB might be the sweetspot to capture a day of event footage (and then offload it at night).

Ya.. i am running at 64GB class 10. The exact storage is 59GB. My cam is recording at 12mpbs, can capture 10 over + hour. So far so good.
But remember to format the 64Gb card to FAT file system set as 32KB cluster.

Dscheng said:
Ya.. i am running at 64GB class 10. The exact storage is 59GB. My cam is recording at 12mpbs, can capture 10 over + hour. So far so good.

So that's using this guiformat.exe utility right?
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D

I don't own a dashcam yet, so I'm just curious. What would happen if we tried to format a 64gb card using the 500 directly? Would it not work at all, or format to 32gb. (hypothetical just for curiosities sake)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I do not have 64 cards
I would try to :D :lol:

Mio said:
Unfortunately I do not have 64 cards
I would try to :D :lol:
64GB card are quite expensive. Here selling around USD$60+. I am using Sandisk.

JazJon said:
Dscheng said:

So that's using this guiformat.exe utility right?
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D

I don't own a dashcam yet, so I'm just curious. What would happen if we tried to format a 64gb card using the 500 directly? Would it not work at all, or format to 32gb. (hypothetical just for curiosities sake)
If you using custom firmware, please do not use your DVR to format your memory card. It won't work at all. Be 16,32 or 64GB. If you get the 64GB, yes use the guiformat program to format it. By the default 64GB SDXC is on EXFAT file system. I also very curious to know whether 128GB will work a not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a 64GB card yet. Waiting for my GoPro to arrive and will order a few at the same time...

Seeing as lots of people have been asking the process, maybe somebody who has done the process could do a step-by step guide on what to do with what software etc... 1. 2. 3. 4. etc

Will help prevent multiple people asking.

TCB said:
Silly question:
I have the new DR500 Blackvue with 16GB factory micro card.
If I will replace it with 32 GB and format it inside the camera will I have to download card content? If yes where I can download? Mine is english version.
thanks

Save the folder with videos to computer. Insert new SD card into BlackVue, power it up, wait until it copies necessary files from camera to SD card. Copy old videos from computer to SD card.

JazJon said:
So does anyone think Pettasoft can or will make 64GB cards compatible in future firmware updates? (so we can format 64GB card in the camera like any other smaller card)
What would be the business reason for them not to do so?

All these custom firmware work arounds for higher bit rates and special utilities just to format/use larger microSD cards is wild. I hope Pittasoft is reading these forms to see what we really want here.

Will pass that on to our engineers.

I have an unsuccessful attempt on 64GB microSD card on my DR400G-HDII. After it is formatted into FAT32, I copied the content from my existing 32GB card except the "Record" folder. The 64GB card worked for about a day and started to have random reboot.

I give up, anyone assist?? I got a Kingston 64gb SD card, formatted with the gui format utility allocation size of 32768, fat32 it ended up as the same as my 32gb card that works.
I copied all the files from my 32gb card tot he 64gb card except the recordings, but I created the 'Record' folder.
stick it in camera and it just goes "initisalising the sd card" then nothing, just the security light flashes slowly and no recordings are made.
I notice the allocation size of my 32gb card that works is 16384
any idea whats wrong???

wozzzzza said:
I give up, anyone assist?? I got a Kingston 64gb SD card, formatted with the gui format utility allocation size of 32768, fat32 it ended up as the same as my 32gb card that works.
I copied all the files from my 32gb card tot he 64gb card except the recordings, but I created the 'Record' folder.
stick it in camera and it just goes "initisalising the sd card" then nothing, just the security light flashes slowly and no recordings are made.
I notice the allocation size of my 32gb card that works is 16384
any idea whats wrong???

What brand is your 32 gig card as there are a lot of fake 32 gig ones around some are as small as 4 gig in reality

Kingston with a 4MB write and 10MB read speed with verified 64GB capacity with H2testw

Back