COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny :unsure: corona fact.
In Denmark during corona the number of extremely premature births have dropped significant on all hospitals in the country, more precise 5% less, a number not seen here before in any relation or time.
So far similar numbers have not been reported from other countries.

See he taken US out of the WHO now, apparently they was not as hard on China as he would have liked.

On the virus and my country, in a week we will open the borders to Germany - Norway and Iceland, the UK and Sweden will have to wait a bit longer.
And actually while many have lost their job thru this, then 35.000 Danes also got a job under the Corona.
Seems very stupid to exit WHO completely, won't get warnings of new viruses, new treatments, access to data, etc. now! Could have just dropped the voluntary contributions to bring funding in line with China and a lot of other countries. Now UK takes over as top funder.

Not sure what is happening in Sweden, new cases don't seem to be dropping like elsewhere, presumably not enough social distancing, probably a good indication of what is going to happen in USA now they are reopening, except that most of USA has less immunity than Sweden.

The UK should be joining Denmark fairly soon, even having increased testing x10 in the last couple of weeks, the counters are having difficulty keeping the numbers up, and we now have more immunity than anywhere except New York so the exponential curve should plough firmly into the ground fairly soon:

1590823913655.png
Daily number of lab-confirmed cases in England by specimen date.

I am sure American doctors are doing a good deal of facepalm over this initiative.
Surprisingly Trump hasn't managed to silence Dr Fauci, except in Trump's press briefings, even though Dr Fauci is leading Trump in the polls:

faucipres-616.jpg

Here in SC USA it seems we're about to top out. Cases have been steadily rising but the rise rate slowing, and the State health agency thinks that in two weeks we will start to see a flattening then a decline. But I'm not so sure of that because on looking around I'm not seeing much social distancing or masks save for business workers, many of whom are now required to wear them. It seems mostly some older folks are still wearing masks; perhaps we understand the gravity of this better than most.

Too many people seem to be thinking that this thing is over when it isn't finished yet :( Everywhere there has been social re-opening it has been accompanied by a rise (and sometimes a spike) in cases but few places are addressing this, and those that do are getting heavily criticized for that. And now we're seeing mass protests and some rioting over non-related issues exacerbating this :cry: Not to mention the economic fallout which is still on the rise, plus a national leadership which is entirely out of touch with the people, is not doing what experts say it needs to do, and is doing the exactly wrong things when it does do something. Unless the whole nation goes somewhere in a handbasket I think I'll be OK locally- we're in good shape overall and a very resilient people- but it's beginning to look like the US may be fubar as a whole. I don't think I'll be there but I'd love to see what history says about this year in 2040 or 2050. Covid-19 is going to become known as the virus that changed the entire world.

Phil

Here in SC USA it seems we're about to top out. Cases have been steadily rising but the rise rate slowing, and the State health agency thinks that in two weeks we will start to see a flattening then a decline.
SC doesn't appear to have had many deaths, so there is little to stop it rising fast, except for good social distancing. How many deaths is hard to judge from most of the official figures because it depends on who gets counted, only people who die in hospital, anyone who had died after testing positive, anyone suspected of having had covid-19, etc. Different countries and states do each of those.

The registry of all deaths accurately shows how many "excess deaths" there have been, many USA states, eg Maine, show almost none, SC has a few, but comparing SC to eg DC which shows a definite spike of covid-19 deaths suggests that for some reason the epidemic hasn't really arrived in SC yet. Unless of course SC people are immune to death from covid-19.

Try selecting different states on the graph half way down: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Until the virus has a reason to die out, it will keep infecting people, only question is how fast. Very few places currently have a reason for it to die out, New York city has enough immunity, maybe UK does, New Zealand did it through serious lockdown, but there has to be a reason. A lot of other places that have reduced the infection rate are bouncing along in single or double deaths per day, but it is proving impossible to actually wipe it out, that includes Denmark, Germany, and even Australia which has a massive track and trace effort with phone app keeping infections in single figures.

I can't see it dying out in USA until a vaccine arrives, but even that is likely to be a disaster since so many people say they wont take the vaccine, and most of the vaccines in development don't stop the virus spreading, only prevent the deaths, thus everyone has to either take the vaccine or stay in serious lockdown.

Our share of deaths seems to be proportional to the average here in the SE USA when you consider how our population is spread out and also our population centers. In the past 4-6 weeks the people here did well with social distancing and masks, with most voluntarily following the guidlines we've been given. It's just that this part has changed now which gives me concerns. Our DHEC agency believes that for every known case there have been and are 9 which haven't been detected- a figure they've held from the start. I'm not certain of it's accuracy but even at half that rate we're having enough infections to give some 'herd immunity' and it seems to be working save for our population centers, which also see a lot of transience. The issue with that is as always- a second wave or mutation can have a great effect on the end results and nobody's yet betting on those not arising.

The virus is going to be here for some time to come- everyone is pretty certain of that. It's really going to come down to whether that fact brings outbreak hotspots, and how those are dealt with if they happen. If how it's being handled now is any indicator of thing to come I'm not expecting much good to be seen in the coming days. Locally and nationwide most folks here now understand that in addition to the limits or possible treatments, we haven't been achieving much in the way of prevention and mitigation based on the results- we've essentially been given over to our own individual and community fates now locally and nationwide, and I don't see any change toward better times coming from that.

I don't expect to be entered into the annals of the future as anything memorable or remarkable, but neither do I like being thought of as being disposable nor do I want that designation to happen to any of my fellow citizens here in SC or the USA.

Phil

Had a look at Trump's twitter page, almost never do that, but I thought I'd see what praise he is getting for the amazing feat of managing to get American astronauts into into Earth orbit using an American vehicle manufactured in America by an American company and launched from American soil by Americans yesterday - roughly what the NASA TV coverage was saying, even though it was not entirely a USA effort!

Trump doesn't seem too popular today, from his twitter page:
EZT-UvJWkAsBFVg

EZT-TheXkAEsipZ

EZTv2rPWsAAatlO

EZSSgG8WkAATNdr

I know that Trump said the shooting was going to start, but the video of a live TV reporter and camera being targeted and fired at by the police from about 15 foot range isn't going to improve things!

The police shot the viewers as well as the reporter:
EZO0b9xX0AIbnR4

Last edited:
Well in countless movies a camcorder have been a weapon or contained a weapon, so better shoot it to be safe.

Well in countless movies a camcorder have been a weapon or contained a weapon, so better shoot it to be safe.
Good point, it might have been a secret Russian agent, there to cause trouble, James Bond style ... oh, hang on, he has unilaterally invited the Russians along to the next G7 conference after Germany declined the invite, the Russians are on Trump's side ... must have been one of those "outdated" German secret agents!

I know that Trump said the shooting was going to start, but the video of a live TV reporter and camera being targeted and fired at by the police from about 15 foot range isn't going to improve things!
the same USA that has been critical of police in Hong Kong, what a joke

The USA protests are about police violence, so now the police are deliberately targeting reporters with violence and life changing injuries.

The list goes on and on o_O:

Trump's latest tweet from the white house underground bunker simply says: "FAKE NEWS!"

Previously: "The Lamestream Media is doing everything within their power to foment hatred and anarchy. As long as everybody understands what they are doing, that they are FAKE NEWS and truly bad people with a sick agenda, we can easily work through them to GREATNESS!"

Thats a world wide problem sadly as it do create a lot of confusion for people

We Danes have saying that go " you should sweep in front of your own door first" meaning get your own shi,,, dirt in order before you go and focus on the dirt others may have.
Protests here at least in the past few decades have all been ruined by criminals, that are not there to protest a valid cause, but just burn stuff down - fight with police and loot stuff.
And i can not be in a protest tainted with skum like that, and we Danes in my book have a lot of things to protest
And in general these criminals run free here as police have nothing to do, a long way back a EU vote here ended unpopular and the resulting protests ended like in the US now, but then police pulled their guns and did shoot at people where 10 was hit / wounded by gunshots.
And that created a hell of a mess for the police.
And i was like WTF they should have shot and killed those people, cuz at a minimum the world would not be a worse place without them.

Hehe i will argue that even with journalists around, people still know far less than they should.

That too, seem like everyone have a agenda they want everyone else to conform to.

Flag at half mast, Trump in the Bunker, White House lights are off, no more Trump tweets!
EZbTtQjX0AEue1k

Senior Facebook employees took to Twitter over the weekend to express their dismay at CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s decision not to take action on incendiary comments posted to the social network by US President Donald Trump.

Last edited:
BTW those Trump drawings, made a few Metallica tracks come to my mind, like fight fire with fire, and jump the fire.
No social media have any validity, it / they are destined to corrupt them self, and wise people will stay away from platforms like that.
I am still baffled they got / get as big as they do, i just cant warp my mind around that.

My friend called me earlier in the day, cuz again he need my help to make yet another massive hole in his concrete / granite stone / scrap brownstone / scrap roof tile / scrap iron house wall.
And i cant see how we should be as lucky as we where the first time just passing right in between huge granite stones in the wall, and though he do have a large electric jackhammer, it dont work much on stones like that.
Anyway a phone call or a TXT or a E-mail, that's how my friend get in contact with me, and vise versa.

BTW those Trump drawings, made a few Metallica tracks come to my mind, like fight fire with fire, and jump the fire.
NSFW:

Reality:
yq-uspol-28052022.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back