COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mexico has joined in with the Oxford testing, Brazil signing up for supply and manufacture this year.
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico is in talks with the Chinese government and private Chinese laboratories, as well as the University of Oxford and company AstraZeneca about running trials for experimental COVID-19 vaccines, a senior Mexican official said on Monday.

The South American countries seem to have brought their outbreaks more or less under control, the USA isn't trying:

“This is really the beginning,” Schuchat said of the U.S.’s recent surge in new cases. “I think there was a lot of wishful thinking around the country that, hey it’s summer. Everything’s going to be fine. We’re over this and we are not even beginning to be over this. There are a lot of worrisome factors about the last week or so.”
Until today their deaths have been dropping, as Trump has been keen to point out while claiming success, but that won't last any longer... "Fauci says new US coronavirus cases could hit 100,000 a day in stark warning to Senate" - that is a lot of hospital space needed!
"Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned that the US may never achieve heard immunity for Covid-19, due to many people refusing a vaccine "

Re-reading the USA statement on their vaccine testing, it appears that maybe they were only funding testing, not actually helping with the work, Trump doesn't believe in vaccines.
Back before USA became Trumpland, they used to properly help us with Oxford University miracle cures, Sir Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin, Oxford turned it into the very first antibiotic, the USA manufactured it for us because we were having problems with the Germans at the time:

Last edited:
I mentioned here weeks ago that we're screwed here in the US :( It was easy to see this coming to anyone really living with their eyes open. But even I didn't expect this much this soon and this widespread :eek: And once again our screwy way of governing ourselves is beginning to show that it can be good- Many State Governors are talking about 'rolling back' their re-openings, and targeting specific situations where it's been shown the mass infections are coming from. It wouldn't surprise me if some places (maybe every State?) re-enters lockdown and redefines what is truly essential while paying no attention to any voices coming from the White House :cautious: Then the world will learn what us Southerners call a "hissie-fit" looks like :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Some UK city, cant remember name, but it also had the door slammed on it today after numbers spiking there lately.

Some UK city, cant remember name, but it also had the door slammed on it today after numbers spiking there lately.

It's got to happen that way. The only way to control this is to identify and isolate where the spikes or outbreaks are ASAP. No economic considerations, no exceptions, no tolerance for anyone not following the rules.

Phil

Much better to lock down 1 city early than have to lock down the entire country. Melbourne has also locked down again but they are doing it on a postcode basis, not the whole city, seems a bit risky considering they have no immunity.

Our counts seem ridiculous at the moment, some days the new cases is only 4x the deaths, I suspect we are counting more flu deaths as covid-deaths than we are real covid deaths, you don't need to test positive to get counted so it's hard to tell what is really happening from the published figures! Best figures are the excess death figures, but they are currently negative.

Yes cant be too careful about this.
I saw a headline yesterday, saying something about something new but similar nasty, dident bother to read it as corona alone have busted up my mood enough ( though it havent really had any effect on daily life for me )

China has identified a 'swine flu' variant which could transfer to humans and go pandemic. AFAIK no human infections yet, but it only takes the first one :eek: Better buy up all the toilet paper now :LOL::cautious:

Phil

Seem like corona have prompted "crazy old cat woman" do start dumping inventory, a lady here opening her garden shed yesterday found 30 cats in there, and no way for them to get in there on their own.

6198087.jpg

Many State Governors are talking about 'rolling back' their re-openings,...
The trouble with this is that most state governors are totally unqualified and inexperienced for making those decisions, it really should be better for the national experts to at least give direct recommendations to the governors. Clearly that hasn't worked in USA though, made much worse by Trump's destruction of the scientific institutions.

China has identified a 'swine flu' variant which could transfer to humans and go pandemic. AFAIK no human infections yet, but it only takes the first one :eek: Better buy up all the toilet paper now :LOL::cautious:

Phil
I read that there were quite a few workers infected, but no human to human infections, hopefully it will stay that way, as I think it normally does, but that is what they said for covid at the start!

China should know like anyone else, of you want good wholesome pigs, you buy Danish pigs

Some pig farmer have even planted a lot of poplar trees in his pig fields as pigs are after all a forest creature, and so 1 up on his pigs health and value.
And really those pig huts in a field, dont look so good, so they now go the way if the electric air wire and will slowly vanish over the next years.
The most popular trees for this use seem to be poplar trees, i think the Americans also call them cottonwood.

csm_Griseiskygge_fotograf_kristine_hansen_e9ce09560f.jpg

The trouble with this is that most state governors are totally unqualified and inexperienced for making those decisions, it really should be better for the national experts to at least give direct recommendations to the governors. Clearly that hasn't worked in USA though, made much worse by Trump's destruction of the scientific institutions.

Most of the Governor's are getting better advice than the White House gets, and now some of those Governors are acting on their advice instead of playing politics. Especially now that it's becoming clear that there will very likely be a different President after the next election, so nothing is to be gained by being a crony of Trump anymore. In fact it will be seen as a great strength for those who stand up against him and handle this pandemic better than he has which really isn't hard to do given how poorly he's done. But it may be past the point of handling already :cry:

Phil

Especially now that it's becoming clear that there will very likely be a different President after the next election,
I've been enjoying the Lincoln Project adverts, was wondering why all these adverts for Bidon exclusively featured Trump, until I realised that they are campaign adverts from Trump's party!

Trump have been told that 4 out of 6 killed by corona are democrats, so he figure thats good numbers :)

Apparently we are vaccinating people in areas that have spikes as part of the Oxford vaccine trials.

The USA is still supposed to carry out a 30,000 people trial on the Oxford vaccine, but they are not going to start until August, by which time it may be too late, you really want to vaccinate before the virus properly takes off to be able to see the result of the trials! Thankfully Brazil and South Africa haven't wasted time and are currently testing.

I thought the USA figures looked dodgy, but given that there should be less flu deaths than an average year, seems Texas is only counting about 40% of covid deaths! Is this another Trump strategy like "Slow the testing down please"? How can counting dead bodies be difficult?
Yesterday, USA passed 50,000 new infections per day, time to build some field hospitals!

today's soundbite was he still thinks it's going to just disappear, he's optimistic, I'll give him that
Evolution will take care of it eventually, it is a bit slow and wasteful of lives, but USA will get there eventually!

I think he is waiting for the Oxford vaccine, expecting delivery in October to wipe the virus out in time for celebrations the day before his re-election. Unfortunately the lack of virus in the UK combined with the USA failure to start testing before their new wave of infections has extended the timescale. With the help of Brazil and South Africa he may get it by end of October, but not in time for the vaccinated people to develop immunity from the vaccine, that takes 3 to 4 weeks, so their virus will be wiped out just as Biden takes over.

Trump is going to be in big international trouble for stockpiling the next quarter year's supply of Remdesivir, without doing anything to increase supply:
'The WHO and other groups have said that it's not good to hoard a drug that you don't need...people may argue that we should give it to the countries that need it most,' Dr Caplan said.

'But Trump has made it clear that he is going to provide drugs and vaccines - if they become available - to Americans first. He feels it's the right thing to do and I suspect that there's a little bit of a political motivation, given that there's an election coming up, I'm not surprised at all.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back