COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wikipedia article had been in place and intact for about a week, and any wikipedia editor could cut it- even ones on dashcam forums. Funny how it stays so long when it had to be one of the top articles being read recently if it's not accurate. The job positions being discussed were eliminated- meaning they no longer exist- regardless of who is now supposed to be doing those things. The persons given the responsibilities afterward were in no way nearly as qualified as those who were forced out; those people weren't picked from among political cohorts and cronies but were this nations best experts on the subject according to the medical and scientific world. He fired the experts, and that's not being wise.

That's being accurate Paul. And I'm not being partisan- I hate all politicians equally because deep inside they are all the same filth as are those who blindly support them.

Phil

The wikipedia article had been in place and intact for about a week, and any wikipedia editor could cut it- even ones on dashcam forums. Funny how it stays so long when it had to be one of the top articles being read recently if it's not accurate. The job positions being discussed were eliminated- meaning they no longer exist- regardless of who is now supposed to be doing those things. The persons given the responsibilities afterward were in no way nearly as qualified as those who were forced out; those people weren't picked from among political cohorts and cronies but were this nations best experts on the subject according to the medical and scientific world. He fired the experts, and that's not being wise.

That's being accurate Paul. And I'm not being partisan- I hate all politicians equally because deep inside they are all the same filth as are those who blindly support them.

Phil
I hate them too, so we have that in common. But the part you quoted was gone when I read it. As to your claims about who was let go and who replaced them or what anyone's qualifications were or are, I can't speak to that, because I haven't studied it.

Amazon and Ebay have already been cutting accounts for price-gouging on necessities like these. Can't wait to see what's on the local Craigslist later tonight :( WTF goes on in these people's heads? Sheesh...

Phil

The job positions being discussed were eliminated- meaning they no longer exist- regardless of who is now supposed to be doing those things. The persons given the responsibilities afterward were in no way nearly as qualified as those who were forced out; those people weren't picked from among political cohorts and cronies but were this nations best experts on the subject according to the medical and scientific world. He fired the experts, and that's not being wise.

So, Trump appoints Larry Kudlow and Steve Mnuchin to the coronavirus task force after firing Beth Cameron PhD and her entire staff of highly skilled, long time professionals in this field who were tasked by the Obama administration in 2018 after the Ebola outbreak to deal with exactly the anticipated crisis we are dealing with right now. Larry Kudlow?! Steve Mnuchin?! Are you kidding me? This is the @Paul Schmehl trolly Trumpy retort?

Beth Cameron previously served as the senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council (NSC) staff, where she was instrumental in developing and launching the Global Health Security Agenda and addressed homeland and national security threats surrounding biosecurity and biosafety, biodefense, emerging infectious disease threats, biological select agents and toxins, dual‐use research, and bioterrorism.

Since being fired by the Trump administration she is now Vice President, Global Biological Policy and Programs for the NTI. Too bad for us that Trump now has Larry Kudlow on the case.

So, now instead of the highly qualified career professionals previously tasked and prepared to protect our nation we have Larry Kudlow, Steve Menuchin and Mike Pence in charge of the official White House COVID-19 task force to deal with this pandemic instead?

HEAVEN HELP US!!! :arghh:

Last edited:
Omg, in previous post again another useleless comparison with death rate on other issues.

may i repeat again?

the biggest problem is hospitalization rate and not death rate.
the biggest problem is hospitalization rate and not death rate

could those who post comparison let us all know why all other health issues which cause high death rate do not cause same disruption on the health care system?

could those who post comparison let us all know why all other health issues which cause high death rate do not cause same disruption on the health care system?

Probably because the other things are a known quantity, and happening regularly they can be allowed for. Covid-19, SARS, MERS, Ebola and the like are unknowns (or began as unknowns) so it is impossible to make similar allowances for them. It's not feasible economically to build and maintain an excessive number of hospitals "just in case" so at times there will not be enough of them available through normal means. And with unknowns like these, you can't predict infection and death rates; they can only be discovered as things happen. There are many other far more deadly diseases which occur in great numbers, but those do not often affect otherwise normally healthy people like this disease does, which is one of the things which makes Covid-19 so bad.

As best I can find, the percentage of deaths from Covid-19 does not exceed 5% and the usual numbers given are considerably lower. This is not a bad mortality rate in itself, but the numbers of people who will catch Covid-19 are so high that the total number of fatalities will be substantially larger than what we see with other diseases which have a higher mortality rate. It's these total numbers which makes this disease so problematic, not the percentages of deaths which come from it.

Phil

All those smartass who keep saying that is not such a big fuss due to death rate, in Juanary should had hopped on a plane to Wuhan and lecture them about not being worried.

Those chinese people are not stupid (they manufacture all our dashcamera after all..) for sure they'd have known how to answer properly.

As someone who has been in the construction industry for over 40 years including building very large buildings and hospitals, I was totally amazed that they built a large hospital in Wuhan for this in just 9 days. That took assembling and coordinating huge amounts of materials and at least a thousand people to do. To do something like that here in the US would take at least a month with no restrictions and no financial limits, and it usually takes well over a year from start to finish when these are built normally.

Though I do not know a single person who was involved in that I am very proud of them all- they are heros to me (y)

Phil

I lived and worked in China and I witness the pace of building stuff is amazing over there. BUT finishing is not that great (and consider they used lot of pre-fab stuff, i'd say more than a full real hospital is the better and more solid version of a field hospital

I dunno if I'd advocate such a measure, might be better and quicker to re-purpose sporting halls or fair/Exhibition building like they are doing in Europe (these venues they will not be used for quite some time, it's a win-win solution)

Probably because the other things are a known quantity, and happening regularly they can be allowed for. Covid-19, SARS, MERS, Ebola and the like are unknowns (or began as unknowns) so it is impossible to make similar allowances for them. It's not feasible economically to build and maintain an excessive number of hospitals "just in case" so at times there will not be enough of them available through normal means. And with unknowns like these, you can't predict infection and death rates; they can only be discovered as things happen. There are many other far more deadly diseases which occur in great numbers, but those do not often affect otherwise normally healthy people like this disease does, which is one of the things which makes Covid-19 so bad.

As best I can find, the percentage of deaths from Covid-19 does not exceed 5% and the usual numbers given are considerably lower. This is not a bad mortality rate in itself, but the numbers of people who will catch Covid-19 are so high that the total number of fatalities will be substantially larger than what we see with other diseases which have a higher mortality rate. It's these total numbers which makes this disease so problematic, not the percentages of deaths which come from it.

Phil
The biggest problem in Wuhan was that they had no idea of the infection rate or death rate, so they had no choice but to build the field hospitals, and also to slow the infection rate by isolation. Both measures worked, and now their new field hospitals are out of a job, unless they decide to relax the isolation in order to build up herd immunity, in which case the new hospitals will allow them to get there faster.

For countries where it has recently arrived, they do roughly know the infection and death rates, so they can choose how much extra hospital capacity to build, possibly zero, and control the infection rate through isolation to fill the hospitals, but not over fill them.

There was someone on the news last night saying UK should immediately take drastic isolation measures to cut the infection rate and that herd immunity was a highly dangerous strategy, but what was his alternative? Turned out to be to lock everything down completely until we develop a vaccine. Unfortunately, we don't have coronavirus vaccines for any of the common cold strains despite trying for a century, there is no reason to think we will definitely get an effective one within 10 years, some people are optimistic for one next year, but very often medical research optimism doesn't produce results, how many years have we been working on an HIV vaccine? Realistically, all countries are going to achieve herd immunity, even if they don't try to do so, or if they work against doing so as some currently are, so planning to achieve it the most sensible option. For most countries it also makes sense to properly isolate the elderly and otherwise vulnerable until herd immunity is reached, so far most countries have failed to do so effectively, although it may well explain the very low death rates in Nordic countries. In some countries there have also been problems with younger people, quite likely explained by high smoking rates.

I dunno if I'd advocate such a measure, might be better and quicker to re-purpose sporting halls or fair/Exhibition building like they are doing in Europe (these venues they will not be used for quite some time, it's a win-win solution)
Can be difficult to isolate people in such places, taking over university facilities where there are often a lot of medium sized spaces close together which can be isolated and ventilated would be a better bet. Isolation and ventilation are important since your chances, and rate, of recovery depend on how much virus you are continuously exposed to. Our health secretary pointed out today that if everything is in lockdown then we have plenty of empty hotels, where each patient can be isolated in their own room.

Last edited:
I lived and worked in China and I witness the pace of building stuff is amazing over there. BUT finishing is not that great
likewise, have lived and worked in China and the pace at which they do things is incredible, I've commented in the past though that they have a unique ability to build something brand new that looks like it's 10 years old already

they did repurpose other buildings, there were 14 temporary hospitals in Wuhan http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/10/c_138861670.htm

Today's first set of numbers as of noon Sunday.
5076 tested - 864 infected - 28 hospitalized - 2 in ICU - number of dead 2.
Danish railways have seen 2X more call in sick, over 143 train drivers are sick ( i dident even know we had that many train drivers in this little country )
1700 volunteers have signed up to help if need be, many of these have some form of medical training but have been working in other jobs.

A Dane have again won the All England Badminton championship.

Those who created a shortage of hand sanitizer can not sell their product.

This is a reasonable toilet paper ad. Why shouldn't people trade one high demand low availability item for another?
Snap 2020-03-15 at 12.44.50.png

I am not sure if this ad is real or not. If it is real then someone has a genuine problem.
Snap 2020-03-15 at 12.45.14.png

This report will not make you happy. Hopefully this can be limited before it can become that bad.

The predictions about the coronavirus catastrophe grow more ominous by the day, and despite the best efforts of countries like Australia in enacting emergency action plans to contain the disease, its spread continues at a worrying rate. Even the World Health Organisation forecasts a world of pain. It says the virus poses a greater global threat than terrorism. That’s bad enough, but medical experts tell 60 MINUTES it’s actually even more terrifying. Professor Gabriel Leung, who led the fight against the SARS virus, believes 60 per cent of the world’s population could become infected with COVID-19 and that up to 45 million people might die from it. For this story, Liam Bartlett has travelled to Hong Kong and Thailand to find out the likely cause of the disease, as well as the latest ongoing efforts to combat it. At all times he and his crew have followed medical advice and undertaken strict protocols to limit their exposure to potential danger.

just like the flu.....
I made fun of some past comments (posting side by side their old and the new comment) of people who, weeks ago, were making fun of those who were worried about the coming catastrophe and then, now that is too late, are turning themselves in prevention zealots accusing all those who are not careful enough to be criminal of the worst kind.

You will see a lot of similar jokers among journalists and anchormen.
A pretty late U-turn.

Heard about the guy in Tennessee- wouldn't want to be in his shoes if his address gets out :eek:

Made a round of the stores this morning. Nobody has TP. paper towels, disinfectants of any kind, dust masks, or the usual go-to foods folks buy for emergencies like canned tuna or boxed macaroni and cheese. Still a little Spam, rice, sandwich meat, bread, bleach, bottled water, and a few thermometers on the shelves but probably little to nothing will be left of those by tonight o_O Plenty of canned goods like beans and still a lot of soups, fresh meats, milk, and cheeses. Almost nobody at restaurants or fast-food joints. Very little traffic on the roads compared to normal.

Many major US retailers are voluntarily shutting down and some are restricting their hours. About all sporting events are cancelled. Good to see this done voluntarily. Now we wait and see how things go. I have very limited contact with people at work so I'm going in the morning and will continue till either this mess blows up or I encounter someone there who seems ill. Some of the guys I work with aren't likely to stay home at the first signs of trouble but I can avoid them. I do have some cabinets to build and install in an otherwise empty house so I may switch to there. I do expect that at some point I'll be turning into a hermit; just don't know when.

Be safe people
Phil

Here in little old Denmark the very old are not that hit, though the 2 dead are both 80 or more of age.
fordeling1.jpg
Graph copied from TV2 news station.

20 to 59 seem to be the sweet spot for infected here.

Last edited:
Just remember, when you see the data of those "infected" it's a number with little meaning because it is too depending on how many tests are done.
You might see that number going up or down solely depending on the testing ratio which in all countries but korea is pretty low.
You might see the number of "infected" stable simply because it's not possible to process more tests or a linear increase instead of an exponential one just because the way lab capacity increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back