COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen yes, countries and population are different but math is the same.

a progression is a progression,doesn’t matter if the country or the population is small or big.

Sure, the math is the math but what is the point of making these comparisons? All of this will play out differently in each nation and at different speeds. And in some cases the numbers will slow down and in others it will spike.

I can see the merit of reporting what is happening in your country or examining what is going on in one nation or region or whatever. But posting a chart (especially without citing a source) and then attempting to reach some sort of conclusion or making an assumption is merely playing amateur epidemiologist.

To repeat, this isn't some sort of macabre contest.

Comparing disparate nations with dramatically different populations, geographic sizes, population centers, demographics, heath care systems and many other factors is meaningless.

Italy has a population of 60,487,409 with 27,980 COVID cases and 2,158 fatalities as of today. The USA currently has a population of 330,435,890 with 4,349 cases and 77 deaths as of today. The UK has a population of 67,782,010 with 1,543 cases but already 55 fatalities as of today! (according to Word-o-Meter as of this hour)

Comparing the UK's number of cases ( 1,543) against the number of deaths (55) and the US's number of cases (4,349) against the number of deaths (77) one could predict a serious disaster in the UK very soon assuming their ratio of cases to deaths remains constant. Having already reached a death rate 70% of the US with such a lower infection rate, things don't look good for the UK.

The fact is however, that none of these numbers we have access to on the internet really tell us much at this point in time. This crisis will play out differently all across the globe and the numbers will ebb and flow wildly, probably in increasingly frightening ways as this plays out.

I would advocate that we don't play amateur epidemiologists engaged in the ongoing comparisons of international infection rates, new cases and death rates because it is counterproductive and possibly harmful. This isn't some sort of macabre contest.

The numbers are interesting and it is very helpful and instructive that we have access to them but there are better ways we could use this thread for our mutual benefit.
+1

They just closed, in Dallas, all bars and restaurants except for takeout until further notice. Big fines for violating the order.

I just got this from my doctor's health group:
Social distancing:
  • We will convert most office visits to telehealth visits starting Monday, March 23, 2020.
  • This includes all sick visits, physicals, counseling and dietitian appointments for all insurance types, including Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
  • More information on telehealth visits can be found by clicking here.

You seem convinced that humans will develop an immunity to this virus. On what basis? The flu has been around forever, yet humans haven't developed an immunity to that. And it keeps evolving into more and more strains. I see no reason to think that this particular virus will be any different. There are some people who seem to be less susceptible to the flu, but scientists haven't figured out why. But they don't think it's immunity to the flu. It's a resistance based on genetic factors or possibly the intake of antioxidants.
interesting, I've never had the flu, just thought it was luck

Not getting the flu i often call Homo sapiens 2.0 resistance, just like the lack of body hair.
I have only had the flu as a kid probably stopped some before i was 20, and my total count of body hair chest and back are like 10 MAX, so my gorilla genome are well and truly repressed.
For humans to evolve i see as a good idea, not only from the perspective like this threatening us, but also if we want to go out there in the dark void.
The latter might even necessitate active modification of the genome for the trip, and then switch back or maybe change even more when we get to where ever.

I had measles, and passed those on to my mother cuz i was such a kind sharing child.

Funny thing, the German contenders in big brother TV show dont know this is going on, those guys are in for a big surprise.
some times ignorance can be a bliss.

Funny thing, the German contenders in big brother TV show dont know this is going on, those guys are in for a big surprise.
some times ignorance can be a bliss.

Interesting plot twist! Could really boost ratings if there's anyone left still watching by the end of the season.

This was before school, but i can still remember lying alone on the big bed in the spare guest bedroom on the first floor of grandmothers house.
Funny how some things can be so vivid even if nothing special happened, and i cant remember what or if i did anything out of the ordinary last Monday.

Going shopping for my mother again tomorrow, she need a new batch of medicine, and i suspect a little shopping too.
Really annoying she only get medicine for 2 weeks at the time.
But at least my little sister have started proceedings into getting the old lady moved to a nursing home near my sister and her adult kids, and the drive distance for me are still pretty much the same for visiting her down there.
And my friend i think have realized i have become extraordinary boring, but lucky for him he have found other people to play with.

Still not noticed much personally here in thailand. I hit the big box store this morning, (Sams club type) Possibly less customers than usual, but few anyway right after 0600 opening....which is why I go there at that time. Maybe 10 percent wearing masks. Slight increase. some wear masks here no matter what. I did get my temperature checked as I entered the store, and there seemed to be more security guards wandering the store.
Lots of hysteria....and they are threatening to close most businesses, (Including bars, restaurants, at 8 pm each night. (The bar part is worrying my neighbors...)

:)

Worked solo today, same for tomorrow then back with the crew after that :rolleyes: Went to the grocery store after work to get a little more sausage, bacon, and canned veggies. Oh boy, the panic has begun- the shelves were bare naked for lots of things. No breads, no fresh meats, few canned goods, and bunches more people than usual, most with full-to-overflowing shopping carts. Didn't really see any hoarding, but did see a few folks getting one or two of the largest sizes of things. If you ain't already got something then you're going to have to do without :cry: Also noticed there was about half the usual number of cars on the roads all day long (I'm working right next to a major thoroughfare). My 2 main customers assure me there's at least 5-10 days work for me total no matter what as long as I feel safe doing it, so short of an in-house lockdown order I should get through this OK financially.

First death in my State today, elderly person. Cases rising about 50% per day and some of the new cases were 'community infections' with no identifiable source. Kind of unsettling that they will mention the city or county these cases are from, but not the specific community, so you can't know if they were from across town or next door :cautious: Makes me glad I'm in a really small town so at least I'll know when it's discovered locally. I don't think that's going to be more than a week in coming, two at the most, and of course by then whoever it is could have already been spreading it for a week or more but I won't have been out there enough to be much worried about that.

Many local stores, companies, and restaurants are closing or limiting business to drive-thru services only, and almost all entertainment venues are closed. Local utility companies are suspending cut-offs for non-payment and foregoing late charges. Hospitals and nursing homes are severely limiting public access including visits to patients housed there. Non-critical government offices are closed including trial courts and all types of schools. Still not seeing the people taking protective measures like gloves and masks and maintaining distances to others though, so that's going to neuter a lot of these efforts to keep us all safe and secure :(

Stay safe my friends,
Phil

Sure, the math is the math but what is the point of making these comparisons? All of this will play out differently in each nation and at different speeds. And in some cases the numbers will slow down and in others it will spike.

I can see the merit of reporting what is happening in your country or examining what is going on in one nation or region or whatever. But posting a chart (especially without citing a source) and then attempting to reach some sort of conclusion or making an assumption is merely playing amateur epidemiologist.

To repeat, this isn't some sort of macabre contest.
Not a contest. Just showing you don’t need a crystal ball to see what will happen, because the same thing has already happened in other countries, no matter how people think.
Dejavu
And for sources you are right, normally i post sources too, sometimes It’s more for fun, because I’m no epidemiologist; up to you deciding to play along or not.

Not a contest. Just showing you don’t need a crystal ball to see what will happen, because the same thing has already happened in other countries, no matter how people think.
Dejavu
And for sources you are right, normally i post sources too, sometimes It’s more for fun, because I’m no epidemiologist; up to you deciding to play along or not.

"Play along"? "It's more fun?" So, now it's some kind of game?

My original question which you are quoting here was, "what is the point of making these comparisons?" I'm kind of appalled really to hear that your point is that "it's fun".

Look, post what you like, you have every right, I guess, but playing at being an amateur epidemiologist on an internet forum because it's "fun" strikes me as an inappropriate, indelicate and less than helpful endeavor at a time like this.

As you say, people don't need a crystal ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back