COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole scenario is pretty off the charts at this point. I swear, I'm waiting for the aliens to land on the White House lawn any minute and demand a full surrender!

Obviously you are out of touch. They already did, didn’t they? :eek:

Oh, I thought that was just the Russians. :smuggrin:

Funny thing, the German contenders in big brother TV show dont know this is going on, those guys are in for a big surprise.
some times ignorance can be a bliss.

Not to miss out on an opportunity to boost ratings, the German Big Brother contestants will be informed about the COVID-19 pandemic on live TV!

The German Cast of “Big Brother” Will Find Out About Coronavirus on Live TV

A psychologist has speculated that they may think the story about the pandemic is merely a game dreamed up by the producers of the show.

German Big Brother contestants could think coronavirus crisis is a ‘game’ says expert

Charlie Brooker could not have come up with a better plot for an episode of Black Mirror! Life imitating art!

Edit:
OMG! It turns out this really was the plot of a Charlie Brooker TV series!
2008's Dead Set!

Life imitating art indeed!

deatset.jpg

Last edited:
The Danish queen will be addressing the nation in a few hours, this is not something she normally do outside of the new year speech, her own birthday are also canceled.
There will also be announced further measures by the PM before the queens speech.

As the queen always end her speeches "God Save Denmark",,,,,, which instantly make me think " Es gibt keinen gott" ( there is no god )

Conference in the UK, lots of talk about grants for pubs, clubs and theatres and massive loans for business, business tax reliefs.

No mention about extra funding for the NHS though or tax cuts, China built a hospital!

No mention about extra funding for the NHS though or tax cuts, China built a hospital!
Not sure extra funding is what the NHS needs, it needs to move existing non-essential resources into the new essential need for a few months.
If we built a new hospital then we wouldn't have any trained medical staff to run it, probably better to train the army up to fight the virus war and run the extra ventilators, I doubt the basic operation actually needs a medical degree and the army already has a fair amount of medical training. As the health minister said, if we need extra space for extra ventilators, there are currently a lot of empty hotels that could be booked up.

As the health minister said, if we need extra space for extra ventilators, there are currently a lot of empty hotels that could be booked up.
The problem will be getting enough ventilators manufactured in record time.
There is only so much manufacturing capacity for making products.

In today's press briefing, at around the 43-minute mark, Dr. Birks stated that they are seeing the mortality rate settling in around 0.7% based on worldwide data.

...they are seeing the mortality rate settling in around 0.7% based on worldwide data.
The problem with trying to determine the true mortality rate is knowing how many people actually have the Covid-19 infection. Right now in my area they are only testing those with 'significant' symptoms so many potential Covid-19 infections could go unidentified thus raising the mortality ratio because it's only measured against known cases.

The problem with trying to determine the true mortality rate is knowing how many people actually have the Covid-19 infection. Right now in my area they are only testing those with 'significant' symptoms so many potential Covid-19 infections could go unidentified thus raising the mortality ratio because it's only measured against known cases.
Typically somewhere between 1000 and 5000 infections for each positive test result!
Although some nations may be well outside that range.

There are also many factors that affect the rate, keep the over 80s completely isolated and you are down to 0.2.
Choose a population where smoking is not common and you are down to 0.1.
Have insufficient ventilators and like Wuhan you can be up to 3.4.

...Typically somewhere between 1000 and 5000 infections for each positive test result!
Although some nations may be well outside that range.
And where does that inexact number come from? By itself useless for anything other than posting on an internet forum, much less in determining what a mortality rate might be.

This is interesting.

They've pulled it :( YT press release earlier indicated they would be pulling more vids than normal for the immediate future.

Phil

Last edited:
FWIW, the positive to all tests ratio here is about 10% or a bit more. Only those with specific symptoms at specific levels can get tested, and then only under a doctors recommendation. So it's clear there will be some unreported cases but nobody can know how many or where :eek: That doesn't seem like a good method when controlling the spread requires that you know where the cases are. I know tests are in short supply but maybe better to use them now to best reduce the need for them later? ;)

Bars and dine-in restaurants being ordered to close by the State Governor. All schools closed. Numerous cities limiting numbers of persons allowed in any gatherings. On the bright side, some stores are setting "Seniors only" times so the elderly can shop without pressure or possible exposure from the younger general public. Schools are serving lunch to all minors and sending them away with breakfast for the next morning. State's top Judge has suspended evictions for anything other than physical or property abuse or threat. Some stores making employees wear gloves. Overall looks like a good response here in SC so far, but only time will tell what comes of it.

Phil

Malaria drug

I have eaten quite a few of those, are ready available in the duty mess, or at least have been in the ships i have been on.
Those and salt tablets for us hardcore sweating engine folks.

S korea test 10.000 daily, so far Denmark haven't even tested that in total.
They could test as many as 1/4 million daily if they wanted to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back