COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only parts of the U.S.A. without corona virus are isolated island territories.

Last Monday.
Snap 2020-03-09 at 21.39.35.png

This Wednesday 9 days later every state has cases and the numbers of reported cases are much larger.
Snap 2020-03-18 at 12.26.17.png

Today's Danish numbers ( things are picking up speed )

Total tested: 7854
Infected: 1057
Hospitalized: 129
in ICU: 24
On ventilator / respirator: 18
Total Dead: 4

Today's Danish numbers ( things are picking up speed )

Total tested: 7854
Infected: 1057
Hospitalized: 129
in ICU: 24
On ventilator / respirator: 18
Total Dead: 4
Less new cases than a week ago - the lockdown is holding it back.

I see the Faeroe Islands have reached 0.1% detected infection rate. In other countries we have been seeing 1000 people infected for each detected person, but that would mean that they all have the virus!

I was thinking that was impossible, but then I read "The Chief Medical Officer in the Faroe Islands announced that at this point, most people have been infected within the Faroe Islands.", if that is true then they will soon be the first country with herd immunity... I still don't think this can be true?

A snip-it of good news. We currently have about 10 reported COVID-19 cases here in my home state of Vermont and it was reported today that all three of the first patients placed into hospital intensive care are said to be improving. One is "looking to be discharged home", according to the chief medical director. All three patients are over the age of 60.

In other countries we have been seeing 1000 people infected for each detected person,
Garbage. In order to come up with that 'statistic' you would have to have 100% testing of the entire population and that doesn't exist anywhere. Quit quoting fictitious numbers, or if you do at least be consistent.

Typically somewhere between 1000 and 5000 infections for each positive test result!
Although some nations may be well outside that range...

ATM we Danes can only test 600 daily MAX , but this will soon change to near 7000.
They also talk about screening more people daily.
I was just out shopping, and that time of the day the town are often gridlocked in traffic,,,,, but today hardly any traffic.

Testing is not a panacea. No matter how much testing you do, you can't catch them all. How do you test homeless people, for example, who don't have fixed addresses and often don't want to be found while engaging in behaviors that often contribute to the spread of disease? Or people who live in remote areas and don't even want to be found?

The biggest problem in the US is that all tests had to be run through the CDC. https://www.kqed.org/news/11806695/coronavirus-report-why-did-it-take-so-long-to-get-rapid-test-kits When you have a single choke point like that, you greatly restrict the ability to do massive testing. Now that testing has been authorized for private and public labs, testing will greatly increase. But think about it. If you test me today, I'll be negative. If I encounter an asymptomatic person tomorrow and contract the disease, I won't test positive for several days. What are you going to do? Test 327 million people daily? It's not even logistically possible.

Look at South Korea, the country that everyone is praising for their testing program. https://www.voanews.com/science-hea...h-korea-britain-aggressively-test-coronavirus 105,379 people have been tested. 4,212 tested positive. South Korea's population is 53,732,586. https://all-populations.com/en/kr/population-of-the-republic-of-korea.html So, they've tested 0.2% of their population, and of the people that they've tested 4% have tested positive. Yet everyone is praising them for their high testing rate. 99.8% of the population hasn't even been tested!

ISTM, the most efficient way to detect the disease is through testing of sick people followed by aggressive contact-tracing, as Indonesia has been doing and is what the CDC began doing early on. Massive testing may make you feel more secure, but it's really not a cost-effective way to track down infections. But that contact tracing has to keep in mind that people will be asymptomatic for the first few days and may not test positive immediately. That's why the 14-day quarantine makes sense. If they don't test positive after 14 days in quarantine, they're likely not infected.

While it's true that "under testing" will miss cases of infection, overtesting isn't going to get rid of the virus. All it will do is improve the numbers, as South Korea has proven.

Garbage. In order to come up with that 'statistic' you would have to have 100% testing of the entire population and that doesn't exist anywhere. Quit quoting fictitious numbers, or if you do at least be consistent.
Rubbish, you can get a rough figure like that by testing a small random sample, just like polling before elections. I don't know how the experts have done it, but several governments have given similar rough figures, they must have some data to support it because it is important to the modeling. Of course the figure is going to change considerably once a significant proportion of the population is infected otherwise you would end up with far more than 100% of people infected.

Here you go...
CoronaCountries.jpg

Nice graph, but what does it show? There are no labels on the scales, and it can't be positive test results since Italy is today on 35,713 "Total Cases".
If it is positive results then why is the biggest country right in the middle, does country size make no difference to the number of cases? And why is UK getting left behind when we are the country with the least lockdown, the schools still open, and the only country trying to reach mass immunity?

Edit: It seems the Italians, unlike everyone else, are removing people from their total when they recover!

Last edited:
This is disturbing.

But the other thing is, is that influenza is already throughout the world, so it would be impossible for us to stop the flu now because the flu, it mutates, it reasserts itself. That’s what H1N1 is. There’s also H1N7, and all sorts of different combinations of the two H’s and N’s. And so for that reason we can’t stop it, but we haven’t necessarily seen that yet with COVID-19, so there is a chance that we can actually stop it. And if we have the opportunity, we should definitely take the opportunity to stamp it out.

Basically with the flu, we’re behind already. We cannot catch up to the flu. But if we can catch up to this, we can save a lot of lives, and it’s worth chasing that goal because we’re seeing that the coronavirus is leaving, it seems like it’s leaving permanent damage to organs after the illness. People out of Hong Kong are reporting difficulty breathing that’s persistent, even after they recover and heal and get discharged from the hospital.

Furthermore, the influenza usually stays in the respiratory system, whereas with COVID-19, what I’m starting to see a lot of is that it also attacks the heart, in some cases attacking the liver. So it’s getting to a lot more places.
That's some nasty stuff.

Yeah. my friend aside for being diabetic he also had his heart attack, so he better de damn careful and on the horn to the authorities if the poo hit the fan at his place.
My mothers lounges are so bad a little more and she will have to be hooked up to a oxygen tank all the time,,,,,, which is also the way her last friend died.

Another theory, which may explain the Nordic countries having low death rates:

According to the European Environment Agency, air pollution leads to around 400,000 early deaths across the continent annually, despite European Union air quality directives.

One COVID-19 hotspot, northern Italy, has particularly high levels of PM10 — microscopic particles of pollution due largely to road traffic.

Could maybe be, the inner / greater Copenhagen are the worst off place here, and we even have a few rural municipalities that have 0 cases so far.

This is the regional spread here.
Capitol region.
Zeeland region / eastern Denmark. i assume the Fuen island belong to that mess too.
Middle Jutland ( where i am )
Southern Denmark ( Jutland and some islands )
Northern Jutland.

Big number is in hospital, little number in in ICU

regioner.jpg

Last edited:
Michigan just reported the first Covid-19 fatality today - a 50+ male with other 'serious medical' conditions.

We just had two in the Dallas area. A 77-year-old male in a retirement community, and a 64-year-old man with "underlying health conditions".

The 4 here that have kicked the bucket have also all been old with 1 leg in the grave, a little comforting but also just a little.
Measures to protect and screen newborn and young kids have also been taken here,,,,,,, today.
We will all meet in Valhalla to feast until the final battle.

Minnesota and Vermont Just Classified Grocery Clerks as Emergency Workers

"Minnesota and Vermont have now officially designated another group of workers as emergency personnel: grocery clerks. This means the workers hurrying to stock shelves and check out customers in those states will also receive free child care."

"Grocery clerks are often underpaid and underappreciated. As they brave the daily crowds of people rushing to stock up their pantries, and risk infecting themselves through contact with so many customers, their essential role in a functioning society has become clearer than ever. Designating them emergency workers and providing them child care is the least we can do."

This seems like a worthwhile plan. Under the current circumstances grocery store clerks are indeed essential front line workers right up there with firefighters, EMTs, hospital staff and the municipal employees who are keeping the gears of local government turning during this crisis. I hope they make this national. The tricky part will be providing childcare and other services to these people while they do their jobs. Already in Vermont there is some disagreement about who exactly will be tasked to provide the required childcare, for instance.

The two largest grocery chain stores in my town are closing their doors from 10PM to 6AM (usually they are open 24 hours) so workers can spend the night sanitizing the stores and re-stocking the shelves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back