COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
fortunately this was a system they had already embraced, prior to any of this happening it was getting to the point where it's actually hard to use cash in China, even beggars have QR codes for contactless payments
Making cash hard to use is not something any free people should embrace.

They are moving in that direction here, even with no virus, so at some time i assume the government will have to buy me a phone so i can pay for stuff.
Many places i also can not use my visa card as getting signed up with verified by visa necessitate me joining a government IT platform i have no trust in.
So sadly when verified by visa pop up i have to use paypal or just not buy at all.

I do not like where some things are moving, for for that i am called a tin foil hat wearing loon, and it is beyond any doubt that i am the problem.

Hehe. maybe for like 10% of the customers :)

They just closed down dentists, which i hope for my friend he fall in the still okay group of patients, cuz he just got some ( 7 ) of his teeth removed out of all planned, but they had to cut it short as he as a heart patient are on blood thinning stuff and he was bleeding like a SOB after they pulled 7 teeth, and it also took a good 24 H before the bleeding stopped and now he have a infection in the L side too so also on penicillin now.
And my friend fine it hard to find any form of none chew foods he like, so lucky he are a fat SOB and will not be hurt by loosing some kilos.

Assemblies with more than 10 people are also illegal now, and several other kinds of shops are closing down, restaurants will still be able to do take out, but no serving in the room.

They just closed down dentists, which i hope for my friend he fall in the still okay group of patients, cuz he just got some ( 7 ) of his teeth removed out of all planned, but they had to cut it short as he as a heart patient are on blood thinning stuff and he was bleeding like a SOB after they pulled 7 teeth, and it also took a good 24 H before the bleeding stopped and now he have a infection in the L side too so also on penicillin now.
And my friend fine it hard to find any form of none chew foods he like, so lucky he are a fat SOB and will not be hurt by loosing some kilos.

Assemblies with more than 10 people are also illegal now, and several other kinds of shops are closing down, restaurants will still be able to do take out, but no serving in the room.
Seems a bit excessive, you've still only had 4 deaths, probably far more deaths from flu in the same time, more lock downs will prevent your country becoming immune.

Yeah.
It is what it is, and for me almost normal aside for interacting with people when i do go out, and the chance of catching this bug.
Nothing left but to hope for a good dashcam summer with lots of new stuff, but even that i feel skeptical about.

Just read of a report from the National; Institute of Health which has checked via scientific methods and found that COVID-19 in a normal environment can remain viable (meaning you can catch it) in the air for 3 hours and on impermeable surfaces like stainless steel and plastics for 3 days. And they reiterated that people showing no symptoms can transmit the disease. It's generally believed that from infection to symptoms being detected takes from 2 to 14 days, with most cases being around 4-5 days. Someone who gets around a lot could be leaving a trail of infection 3 hours long behind them everywhere they go, and those who contact that will be doing the same in a few days. That goes a long way in explaining why "community" outbreaks grow so large so fast- they're already well underway before the first person shows any symptoms, gets tested positive, and leaves the public arena. We're closing the barn doors long after the cows have run away in how we're handling this right now :(

It points even stronger to my call for testing everyone now instead of trying to save some tests for later. The good of 100 tests now will equal what it will take 1000+ tests to do later :cautious: The type of test needed (RT-PCR) was known and recognized ahead of time; basically the same type of test which was used for SARS and MERS but 'tweaked' for this variation. The mechanism should have been in place to be able to produce enough of those tests rapidly long ago, but apparently it wasn't done :eek: Under ideal circumstances test results can be had in as little as 2 days; now you've at least halved what that first carrier of the disease had a chance to do, and probably much more than half. Do the math using any figures you prefer and I promise you that your results will show that the earliest possible testing and intervention reduces the future effects exponentially. Massive widespread testing done immediately followed by appropriate action is the only way we are going to be able to have any real control over this- otherwise the US is going to be looking like Italy soon :cry: `

Though the context was different, I am reminded of a line from "Invisible Sun" by the UK band "The Police"-
"I don't ever want to play the part of a statistic on a government chart".

Somehow I have that feeling rather deeply right now, but I can't see how to avoid it...
Phil

The words of Stalin come to mind " a single death are a tragedy, but a million deaths are statistics"

And don't stand so close to me, are trending.

Well some good news from here- 'bugout' plans are now in place if needed, but with only dial-up that far up in the hills it will mean that I might not be here much if I do that. At least I'll probably be here afterward now and that feels better :)

Phil

We need an Africa for USA version during these times :cry:

Looks like kids all over will not be going back to school until after summer.

Kids will not like they all have to retake this grade, though some are working with digital solutions ASO, then i don't think it will be quite the same.
The summer Olympics will probably also have to be cansled / moved to 2021

Just read of a report from the National; Institute of Health which has checked via scientific methods and found that COVID-19 in a normal environment can remain viable (meaning you can catch it) in the air for 3 hours and on impermeable surfaces like stainless steel and plastics for 3 days. And they reiterated that people showing no symptoms can transmit the disease. It's generally believed that from infection to symptoms being detected takes from 2 to 14 days, with most cases being around 4-5 days. Someone who gets around a lot could be leaving a trail of infection 3 hours long behind them everywhere they go, and those who contact that will be doing the same in a few days. That goes a long way in explaining why "community" outbreaks grow so large so fast- they're already well underway before the first person shows any symptoms, gets tested positive, and leaves the public arena. We're closing the barn doors long after the cows have run away in how we're handling this right now :(

It points even stronger to my call for testing everyone now instead of trying to save some tests for later. The good of 100 tests now will equal what it will take 1000+ tests to do later :cautious: The type of test needed (RT-PCR) was known and recognized ahead of time; basically the same type of test which was used for SARS and MERS but 'tweaked' for this variation......

"...The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine....."
Few people reported sympoms after just 2 days.

About virus in the air/surface just remember when you read those report you have always to take into account the quantity of the virus being present, it MIGTH be detected but the quantity of the active virus might not be enough to infect you, thus you need both, presence + quantity (same goes for up to xx days on surfaces).

For tests now seems a bit late, those massive test should habe been done at the epidemic onset.
Not saying they are not useful now, but not to containg it because it is too widespread, just that beeing too late isolation is the only weapon left.

Mass testing would have worked in a Korea like situation, where they started at the beginning of the spread.

Mass testing would have worked in a Korea like situation, where they started at the beginning of the spread.
Even if you test every person in the population every single day, if it takes two days to get the test result then you will not take action until they have gone through the highly infectious stage and are of no significant risk to anyone not in the same household. The tests do not give a positive result until you are starting to infect other people + the 2 days analysis time.

It may work once we get 10 minute tests, but you still have to test everybody every day.

It is of course a help to understanding what is happening, but you don't need full testing to get that understanding.

Even if you test every person in the population every single day, if it takes two days to get the test result then you will not take action until they have gone through the highly infectious stage and are of no significant risk to anyone not in the same household. The tests do not give a positive result until you are starting to infect other people + the 2 days analysis time.

yes, yes, yes. There is not a single measure which is 100% effective.
Mass testing will not catch ALL those who got infected, but it will catch a LOT of them.
Which will prevent MASS spread.
Which will enable to CONTAIN the spread to a level which will not overrun the health care system.

Here's a SC newspaper report about what early testing can do. LINK The city of Camden is in Hampton county, where about half of this state's cases have been discovered.
Do keep in mind that this occured when the testing standards were higher- they have been relaxed some now- but this patient would still not 'qualify' for testing today :eek:

By missing just this one person, there is no telling how big the outbreak would have become before it was discovered and acted on, but given how quickly COVID-19 seems to spread there can be no doubt that it would have been at least several times worse and thus several times harder to handle as every person gets investigated regards where they've been and who they've been close to, further delaying an adequate response :cautious:

In exponential mathematics, even a small change in the base figures will give a huge difference in the end sum, so that is where the highest priority acttion needs to be focused. Rather simple yet our current plan is missing this target completely :( I will be doing a 'bugout' sometime around this weekend as a person from a more infected state will be coming here to live due to her job closing down there. Such is life in a shared house.

Phil

I'm sure I've seen this exact same message before somewhere!

Could have been written by Borris's nudge department.

"In addition, there is very little difference in the approaches between European countries, Van Dissel said. ‘Some countries say they are in lockdown but if you look at the measures they are taking, you can see they are not,’ he said."

Seem to be making one mistake though, unlike UK they are closing the schools from Monday, maybe their school/health systems work differently though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back