CPL Status

I hope they will not screw up CPL angle like Megtech did with Mini0806.
The "Top" marker was not really top on mini0806 CPL (it was off by about 15 degrees), but because the CPL filter was round it was possible to correct it. With this camera I hope they get it right, as you cannot rotate square filter ;).
You can fit a square filter 90 degrees, 180 degrees or 270 degrees out of position, though a CPL will still work at 180 degrees so that gives you a 50% chance of it working.

You can fit a square filter 90 degrees, 180 degrees or 270 degrees out of position, though a CPL will still work at 180 degrees so that gives you a 50% chance of it working.

the filter isn't square but could go on either way, the question really is only about making sure the orientation of the lens is correct during assembly, once that's correct putting it on either way is no issue

Just want to add that I hope the CPL comes soon. I am waiting to buy the A119 with it but I can't wait forever in D.C. metro area traffic. I was nearly broadsided by an impatient driver who didn't look before swerving violently into my lane yesterday. :eek:

Consider a dash mat. I installed one because of the similarly form factored SG9665GC's susceptibility to windshield reflections and the dash mat has made the CPL I have for the GC almost superfluous. Unfortunately, my SG9665GC CPL arrived with tiny pock marks in the glass so I now avoid using it altogether, although the combination of a CPL and a good dash mat is "killer".

I didn't know you had problems with the complementary CPL I sent awhile back. (To make up for firmware delay etc) I'm happy to send you another if that's the case. This latest incoming batch will be the latest 3D design for an even better fit as well. Yes a dashmat works great but many have added shiny bling bits in the carpet

I didn't know you had problems with the complementary CPL I sent awhile back. (To make up for firmware delay etc) I'm happy to send you another if that's the case. This latest incoming batch will be the latest 3D design for an even better fit as well. Yes a dashmat works great but many have added shiny bling bits in the carpet

You were so very generous about the whole thing I didn't feel it was something I wanted to complain about. In truth, some pock marks on a CPL hardly makes a difference in the video results except under certain lighting conditions but with the dash mat it was just easier to not use it. Anyway, I didn't even notice it right away until I accidentally got a fingerprint on it and went to clean the filter. Also, even with the thick mounting plate under the GC the CPL would just touch the glass enough sometimes to make a rattling noise when I tilted the camera lens up to have less hood in the image. Of course, you are well aware of why I've needed to change the tilt on my GC, but that's a subject of another thread.

Thanks so much for your offer, maybe the new one will work better? I wonder if the new design might give me a hair more room between the glass and the filter holder?

BTW, knowing about those shiny polyester threads in some carpeted dash mats I bought a brushed suede one which essentially avoids the shiny carpet thread problem.

BTW, knowing about those shiny polyester threads in some carpeted dash mats I bought a brushed suede one which essentially avoids the shiny carpet thread problem.

those are the best type but seem very hard to find for a lot of vehicles, most are just the tacky polyester type

Consider a dash mat. I installed one because of the similarly form factored SG9665GC's susceptibility to windshield reflections and the dash mat has made the CPL I have for the GC almost superfluous. Unfortunately, my SG9665GC CPL arrived with tiny pock marks in the glass so I now avoid using it altogether, although the combination of a CPL and a good dash mat is "killer".

In my case I can see clock, head unit, AC controls and STI logo (which is way below, next to gear shifter) in the reflection, so dash mat will not do much (dash itself is not very reflective). I didn't had such problem when I was running Mini0806 with CPL...

P.S. By square CPL filter I meant rectangle, the A119 filter supposed to be rectangle.

In my case I can see clock, head unit, AC controls and STI logo (which is way below, next to gear shifter) in the reflection, so dash mat will not do much (dash itself is not very reflective). I didn't had such problem when I was running Mini0806 with CPL...

P.S. By square CPL filter I meant rectangle, the A119 filter supposed to be rectangle.

Sometimes you need to get creative. Aside from my dash mat I used a bit of strategically located black flocked photographic material in one similar troublesome place. As a photographer, for me it is a common material used in studios but it is similar to what astronomical telescope tubes are lined with and available in rolls online. A few carefully placed rectangles of something like that (or black felt) can work wonders.

The AC controls reflections (they are silver) are close to center of the FOV.

Why not, if you can, pop the AC control knobs off and spray paint them flat black"?......................Just a thought from longtime a DIYer.:)

Why not, if you can, pop the AC control knobs off and spray paint them flat black"?......................Just a thought.:)
I would do that if the car was piece of ****.
I might plastidip them (just the outer ring), will give it a nice rubberized feel to them (that sounded wrong).

I would do that if the car was piece of ****.
I might plastidip them (just the outer ring), will give it a nice rubberized feel to them (that sounded wrong).

I understand, but if done skillfully, one can do a simple project like this so it comes out looking like a factory feature. Depends on one's skill and interest, I guess.....and sometime a leasing agreement.:D

I understand, but if done skillfully, one can do a simple project like this so it comes out looking like a factory feature. Depends on one's skill and interest, I guess.....and sometime a leasing agreement.:D

would be more about resale I think, not something I'd do to an STI either, plastidip though at least can be reversed without issue to be able to return it to as new

You are right, of course but you know me! :p...... Nothing is sacred in the pursuit of the best possible dash cam footage as long as the installations looks good and like it more or less belongs there on your dashboard when you do it.....or is reversible!
Why buy a car if you can't outfit it the way you need and want to? You don't want to bleep it up of course, but unique alterations done right might even increase the value of a "previously owned" vehicle.

Last edited:
You are right, of course but you know me! :p...... Nothing is sacred in the pursuit of the best possible dash cam footage as long as the installations looks good and like it more or less belongs there on your dashboard when you do it.....or is reversible!
Why buy a car if you can't outfit it the way you need and want to? You don't want to bleep it up of course, but unique alterations done right might even increase the value of a "preciously owned" vehicle.
I buy car for primarily for enjoyment of driving and practicality. For example my category was following:
Powerful+Manual+4WD
Handling+Braking
Hatchback
Japanese
Recaro Seats
rest is not very important for me ;).

In my days working for car importer long, long time ago, the best way to increase the value of the car was to revert all the modifications done to it back to factory. The cars without aftermarket boost gauges, without loud exhaust, and adjustable suspension would sell quicker and for more than the cars with such modifications (even if the mods where done properly).

In my days working for car importer long, long time ago, the best way to increase the value of the car was to revert all the modifications done to it back to factory. The cars without aftermarket boost gauges, without loud exhaust, and adjustable suspension would sell quicker and for more than the cars with such modifications (even if the mods where done properly).

I've owned 4 Subaru's from new and always got good resale on them specifically because they weren't modified, you go doing exhaust, blow off valve etc and the value drops dramatically

While we're all waiting for A119 CPL filter, I fashioned a temporary one (from Mini 0903)
IMG_20160819_233559.jpg
Shiny piece is a strong magnet (from an old hard drive) attached with a double sided tape. Doesn't allow for horizontal movement but it's not a problem for me.

That looks nice but does it effect your visibility on sides?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back