CPL Status

I thought I read a post somewhere here that the CPL filter is only good for daytime videos.
it has no effect during night videos.
can someone confirm that please?

agreed - some of my worst reflections are at night because the center stack (radio, vents, AC controls) on my dash is silver, so it reflects a lot. especially annoying at night as i pass under street lights. i can't wait till i can get a CPL for my 119!

I hope this will be released soon otherwise I will have to improvise.

I have a theory which I will test in this weekend.
It is very simple: the A119 is positioned too far away from the glass (compared say to cylindrical cameras, like blakvue or mini), hence there are a lot more of reflections visible.
The fix involves a wedge (about 20 degrees) which would sandwich between mount and the glass thus bringing the lens closer to screen.
My first stop would be hardware store, specifically looking for black plastic doorstops which I can use as the wedge (I can always sand them down to correct angle).

The distance is worse with GPS mount as it is thicker.

The reflections are quite bad due to car stereo ending up in the centre of the screen in full colorful glory (even if it is dimmed). The interim solution is to turn off the stereo screen/lights. While I can deal with stereo, I cannot deal with clock/fuel consumption display, as even at the dimmest settings (which I do not like as it dimmer is for everything, including the instrument cluster) is very visible in about 1/3 from top of the screen.

On 7/26 @jokiin posted that we were about 1 month away from a CPL filter for the A119.

Then on 8/10 @jokiin posted that the tooling was not finished yet.

I'm in dire need of a CPL filter.

Any update on the status or projected availability?

RodeoGeorge

I was about to ask a same question ? End of month is here, is there any updates ?

On 7/26 @jokiin posted that we were about 1 month away from a CPL filter for the A119.

Then on 8/10 @jokiin posted that the tooling was not finished yet.

I'm in dire need of a CPL filter.

Any update on the status or projected availability?

Indeed. I've been holding off buying two dashcams because the CPL was expected real soon. However if it's still in the design phase, then I'll have to go with a different pair of cameras that already have CPL solutions...

If you need a "tester" i am volunteering for ;)

Hopefully they will be available for sale soon

I have a theory which I will test in this weekend.
It is very simple: the A119 is positioned too far away from the glass (compared say to cylindrical cameras, like blakvue or mini), hence there are a lot more of reflections visible.
The fix involves a wedge (about 20 degrees) which would sandwich between mount and the glass thus bringing the lens closer to screen.
My first stop would be hardware store, specifically looking for black plastic doorstops which I can use as the wedge (I can always sand them down to correct angle).

The distance is worse with GPS mount as it is thicker.

The reflections are quite bad due to car stereo ending up in the centre of the screen in full colorful glory (even if it is dimmed). The interim solution is to turn off the stereo screen/lights. While I can deal with stereo, I cannot deal with clock/fuel consumption display, as even at the dimmest settings (which I do not like as it dimmer is for everything, including the instrument cluster) is very visible in about 1/3 from top of the screen.

I under estimated how useless and hopeless are hardware stores in New Zealand. After hours (3?) of going through every single isle of Bunnings Warehouse and Mitre10 Mega, I failed to find anything resembling a plastic wedge, plastic block, or something under $50NZ that can be cannibalized for the plastic. The closest thing I found was the rubber door wedge, but it was not a convenient shape, grey, and I believe it would mess with GPS reception being too dense... I developed a real distaste for the stores above, I wish there was something like Harbour Freight or Home Depot in NZ.
The shopping in Bunnings/Mitre10 reminds me of my shopping experience during communism: selection in these stores is not far off Soviet hardware store in mid `80, the only difference there is way more useless junk to create an illusion of choice.

On Monday I will go to engineering suppliers and see if there is anything there. Something like black crappy ABS would do fine.

Reactions: Mtz
design what you need and have it 3D printed out of ABS
I just made one out of wood (I hate working with wood), and it did diddly-squat.
It brought the lens right up against windscreen (about 2-3mm clearance), but from video made no big difference apart from moving reflections into slightly different position.
I was hoping that by bringing the lens forward it would move reflections out of FOV. Lens is too wide.
I wish could replace the lens with a narrower version (something like 135 degrees)...

I am going to test with a CPL and see if it makes any difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back