CPL Status

Yep, CPL did a huge difference, only about 10% of the reflections are visible....

So where is the damn CPL filter for A119 ;)?

May also be the angle. Mini 0903 also has 135 lens and almost no reflections. My newly acquired SG9665GC has exactly the same problem as A119. Even with an expensive CPL filter there is quite a bit of distortion on sides. Mini 0903 doesn't have this problem even though the lens is about 2 inches from the window.

Pull it back from the window and you should lose that effect in the bottom corners, it's mainly about position as to what kind of reflection you'll get

I have a bunch of 2in x 2in square polarizing film pieces (about 100x). There is a plastic protective layer on both sides, you can remove, keeping the film clean prior to use. If we have any self-starters here, you can PM me with a mailing address and I can drop one to three (specify in your PM) in an envelope for you. If its USA first class envelope I can cover costs for free for the first dozen or so people. Someone will have to DIY to fashion a holder to attach to the A119, but it should not be difficult. I'm waiting for the "official" CPL version to order for my A119, but others may be in a crunch - so I'm making this offer. The 2in x 2in size allows you rotate the film to any angle, and make at least 4 attempts per piece. The film seems slightly dark to me, when I put it over my A119 lens it looks darker by about 1f stop.

See:
New Canada link:
www dot fishersci dot ca/shop/products/polarizing-film-5/p-2373015
Link for USA model s83161:
www dot fishersci dot com /shop/products/polarizing-film-6/s83161
Link for all three models:
www dot fishersci dot com/shop/products/polarizing-film-6/p-2373015

Last edited:
Would constructing a shroud around the bottom 135-degrees of the camera that mounts flush with the windshield have any effect on dash reflections? Or do most dash reflections result from internal surfaces of the various glass layers in the windshield?

You'll have major vignetting due to the wide angle lens and the shroud will block the view. With my GC when the CPL is attached, it almost touches the windshield, yet a little of the dash and wipers are visible. Such a shroud wouldn't work with wide angle lenses.

While we're all waiting for A119 CPL filter, I fashioned a temporary one (from Mini 0903)
View attachment 25427
Shiny piece is a strong magnet (from an old hard drive) attached with a double sided tape. Doesn't allow for horizontal movement but it's not a problem for me.

Nice idea. I made mine using the same type magnet. I used a small plate with a lip at the top - sticks to magnet. Drilled a hole in the plate and mounted a square piece of film over the hole. Works great - easy to remove or mount when needed. Thanks for your idea about using a magnet!!! :)

----------
UPDATE: 15Sep2016
Decided using a plate and drilling a hole was a bad idea. Also, not everyone has access to hard drive magnets. Got a better idea, and parts from HomeDepot.

Now I'm using a small circular magnet, and a washer with one edge ground flat. Taped the filter on back of washer, and spray painted magnet and washer black. It looks great - like OEM. Also works great.

Parts are:
0.7 in. Neodymium Rare-Earth Magnet Discs (3 per Pack) cost $3.98 USD for pack of three
www dot homedepot dot com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-0-7-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-3-per-Pack-07047HD/202526369

16 mm Zinc-Plated Metric Flat Washer cost $0.32 USD each
www dot homedepot dot com/p/16-mm-Zinc-Plated-Metric-Flat-Washer-806968/204276401

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Model 249127 Internet #202246266 Store SKU #621138
12 oz. Flat Black General Purpose Spray Paint cost $3.87 USD
www dot homedepot dot com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Flat-Black-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249127/202246266

Grind one edge of the washer flat, about 2 to 3 mm from the center hole. This centers the camera lens perfectly. Then mount a small piece of the polarizing film I mentioned earlier. The black spray paint does not stick very well to the metal washer nor magnet, so I have to be careful not to scrape the paint off.

Use 3m black 414P two sided tape (same as used to mount camera) to mount the circular magnet to the top of the A119. I put tape about 1 to 2 mm over half way mark on magnet - so it covers just over 50% of the bottom. Only a small bit of the magnet has to overhang the camera lens for the washer to stick tightly.

Last edited:
Nice idea. I made mine using the same type magnet. I used a small plate with a lip at the top - sticks to magnet. Drilled a hole in the plate and mounted a square piece of film over the hole. Works great - easy to remove or mount when needed. Thanks for your idea about using a magnet!!! :)
Nice! Able to post pictures of the setup?

Anything? I must say that I am disappointed, simply because filter was supposed to be available on sale by end of last month and yet we got nothing even now.

Anything? I must say that I am disappointed, simply because filter was supposed to be available on sale by end of last month and yet we got nothing even now.

there needs to be some tooling adjustments, these things take time

I under estimated how useless and hopeless are hardware stores in New Zealand. After hours (3?) of going through every single isle of Bunnings Warehouse and Mitre10 Mega, I failed to find anything resembling a plastic wedge, plastic block, or something under $50NZ that can be cannibalized for the plastic. The closest thing I found was the rubber door wedge, but it was not a convenient shape, grey, and I believe it would mess with GPS reception being too dense... I developed a real distaste for the stores above, I wish there was something like Harbour Freight or Home Depot in NZ.
The shopping in Bunnings/Mitre10 reminds me of my shopping experience during communism: selection in these stores is not far off Soviet hardware store in mid `80, the only difference there is way more useless junk to create an illusion of choice.

On Monday I will go to engineering suppliers and see if there is anything there. Something like black crappy ABS would do fine.

I just picked up (for a different reason) at Ikea, a pack of about 30 ABS black wedges - they are under the "FIXA" model, which is IKEA brand for basic tools. - here is http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30287675/

well???? you sold as a defect camera and we cant use it because filter was supposed to be available on sale by end of last month and yet we got nothing even now

well???? you sold as a defect camera and we cant use it because filter was supposed to be available on sale by end of last month and yet we got nothing even now

CPL filter was always an optional accessory and I am not sure how you can reasonably call the A119 defective just because reflections happen. It isn't available when they thought it would be, but I'm sure they wish it was so they could get that revenue also.

you're not
Lol, no Ikea in NZ :).
Aren't we suckers down here :).
you're not missing out much on ikea and their crap quality furniture. wish there was more competition here.

you're not

you're not missing out much on ikea and their crap quality furniture. wish there was more competition here.
no shortage of competition for crap quality furniture here - walmart/target/kmart/big lots/etc all sell cheap flatpack particle-board "furniture", as well as crappy actual furniture. at least ikea is more likely to use real wood instead of particle board.

Any updates on the ETA for this filter? I'm just about ready to throw money at the computer screen as soon as I hear this is up for sale.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back