CPL Status

So is the blackout position (at 90 degrees) is the best position for the PCL to use during the day time?

So is the blackout position (at 90 degrees) is the best position for the PCL to use during the day time?
No, use the clearest. Then you can verify it in the car with the paper test I mentioned - put paper on dash, look at camera screen and see reflection of paper, put on the cpl and see if the paper reflection goes away. If you have the filter turned the right way, the paper reflection will disappear.

No, use the clearest. Then you can verify it in the car with the paper test I mentioned - put paper on dash, look at camera screen and see reflection of paper, put on the cpl and see if the paper reflection goes away. If you have the filter turned the right way, the paper reflection will disappear.

can download this file http://www.mediafire.com/file/hvd8efxoc8re6fc/CPL_Test.jpg print it out and put it up on the dash, hold the filter and rotate until the least amount of white squares are visible, whatever position that the filter is in the glass needs to stay in that position so rotate the glass within the housing so that the alignment of the housing is horizontal and the glass is still in the correct position, recheck after adjusting

I am have a 3-D TV at home. Is it same as the normal TV to adjust the filter?
3D TVs are no good, some are both horizontally and vertically polarised, for left and right eyes, some are circularly polarized, none of these can be used.

For a normal TV, put the CPL on the camera, turn the camera into portrait orientation (90 degrees to normal), adjust the CPL for the blackest image. Then check it in the car by putting some white paper in the centre of the dash to create a bright reflection. Normally it is easier to set it accurately from the TV than it is in the car, but both methods work.

For all LCD screens, with the CPL adjusted correctly the camera should see a black image at the same angle that polarised sunglasses see a black image. If your sunglasses don't see a black image at any angle then either the LCD screen is circularly polarized and can't be used for alignment, or your sunglasses are not polarised sunglasses. If your sunglasses do see a black image at some angle, but your CPL doesn't, then your CPL is the wrong way around (front to back).

can download this file http://www.mediafire.com/file/hvd8efxoc8re6fc/CPL_Test.jpg print it out and put it up on the dash, hold the filter and rotate until the least amount of white squares are visible, whatever position that the filter is in the glass needs to stay in that position so rotate the glass within the housing so that the alignment of the housing is horizontal and the glass is still in the correct position, recheck after adjusting
just to give a heads up when you print....the complete background is black so be prepared to use up a lot of ink toner for this print out:eek:

I am still waiting the CPL to arrive. Just wonder how easy to put on the CPL, and how easy to remove it from the camera for more adjustment. As far as I know, it is better to adjust the glass before I put it on. If I put it on to camera first, there is no way that I can rotate the glass. Am I correct?

I am still waiting the CPL to arrive. Just wonder how easy to put on the CPL, and how easy to remove it from the camera for more adjustment. As far as I know, it is better to adjust the glass before I put it on. If I put it on to camera first, there is no way that I can rotate the glass. Am I correct?

It's very easy to put on/off. I adjusted it against the TV (Took 3 minutes once I figured out what I have to do) then put it on the camera. It's done a great job at reducing the dash reflections.

Amazon delayed mine. backorder. Estimated ship Jan 27. I canceled order. The one I ordered from estore on ebay, tracking says is in the US now. Should be delivered in a few days. The one I ordered(at the same time) from FoxOffer still hasn't left Singapore.

Reactions: Mtz

correct

Sony solves the problem:
The Sony group (Sony Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp and Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corp) announced a new backside-illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor ... The new sensor is equipped with polarizers. In the case of conventional polarization cameras, their image sensor and polarizer are separate parts. ... On the other hand, for the new BIS sensor, polarizers made of metal wire grid are formed above the PD to integrate them into one chip. As a result, it becomes possible to reduce the size and cost of polarization cameras, the group said.
3.jpg
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/atclen/news_en/15mk/121501020/?ST=english_PRINT

Conclusion. Best way to calibrate your CPL: install 78 inch LCD into your car (2 D only) and rotate glass 4 times right and 3 times left. Say Abracadabra and done ! Am I right gibson99 ? :) I agree with you in 100%. What is it more easy than simply sheet of paper on your car dash board .. it is not F16 Head-up display but "only" A119 cam ..

Last edited:
After a week of testing the filter, this is my result other people may be different, first pictures is with the filter that's the best result i got, big disappointment and waste of money it when where it belong in the garbage.

Attachments

• with filter.png
    with filter.png
    760.2 KB · Views: 62
  • without filter.png
    without filter.png
    732.9 KB · Views: 60
How confident are you the CPL is spun to to optimal spot for max performance? Did you do the TV test posted a few pages back?

A CPL will reduce reflections not eliminate them. This glass is also of a spec that is night friendly and not too powerful.

This looks really bad. I finally bought a filter today, but I could only test the "production" rotation and did not work at all. Then I tested on a monitor (45°) and the functionality was reversed. So I had to turn the glass 90 degrees to the right and it worked. Unfortunately it was already dark outside and the final result can find out tomorrow. I can not test it on television I have LG 2D + 3D.

Last edited:
looks like more rotation of the filter needed: the reflection of white paper from top to bottom should look either equally white or equally grey close to invisible. I think.

Anyone that wants to snail mail me their first batch miscalibrated CPL to my Nevada office I'm happy to calibrate it perfect for you. Just send me a private message. This won't be an issue for future buyers of 2nd production CPL's.

How confident are you the CPL is spun to to optimal spot for max performance? Did you do the TV test posted a few pages back?

A CPL will reduce reflections not eliminate them. This glass is also of a spec that is night friendly and not too powerful.

I wasn't expecting to get rid of 100% of the reflection, but a better result than that, i did all the tests pc and tv and on the car in this is the best result,like i said maybe other people get better result but to me is a disappointment.

I wasn't expecting to get rid of 100% of the reflection, but a better result than that, i did all the tests pc and tv and on the car in this is the best result,like i said maybe other people get better result but to me is a disappointment.
What sort of vehicle is it? (this can make a difference to the effectiveness of the filter)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back