Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

Mtz said:
If you will upload the videos on youtube as 1080p them will be available as 1080p also. Wait some time after upload and you will see on youtube also the 1080p resolution.
You can play the videos with any player. The quality will be the same. After some curiosity about videos you will understand that is not important to watch where you drive and the dash cam is for offering a video when you will need it. A dash cam is something like mount and forget.

Regarding official firmware I hope Mio will offer a custom firmware which will looks exactly as the original firmware. We don't need an official firmware but a firmware which will look the same. We have the extracted firmware offered by Malcontent so we can have a firmware like the original one.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think I know why now....how do you select 1080p mode to upload on Youtube? I think the videos are at 360p mode when I upload...thats why in Youtube, I can only view them max at 360p mode...
is there a way to change my videos from the Blackvue 500 to 1080p mode before I upload to Youtube?

I think I was clear:
Mtz said:
If you will upload the videos on youtube as 1080p them will be available as 1080p also. Wait some time after upload and you will see on youtube also the 1080p resolution.
Again:
upload as 1080p
wait some time until the 1080p will be available
use your PC to view the youtube videos

enjoy,
Mtz

alexchoo said:
navyseals said:
It depends a lot on the lighting condition too alex. Try using the custom firmware. My video is not that great with original firmware.

I just installed custom so we will see.

Thanks a lot mio!

yeah, I will give it a run on the custom firmware and we will see...

how do you upload the video to Youtube and select it to 1080p HD? I uploaded and can only select it up to 360p

can the current BlackVue viewer view good videos or we need a better one?

You just upload your video file and wait 5 minutes after it finishes uploading. The 1080p on Youtube takes about 5 minutes to finish processing after you finish uploading.
The current Blackvue viewer is very good because you can adjust the picture.

You just dump all the files in the SD-Card-Folder of the file he sent you into your microSD main folder.

alexchoo said:
with the korean firmware, the video quality is not that good...I am going to do a test with this customized firmware and see how things goes...

do you guys know of any method to make the video quality better?

I have cleaned the lens of my Blackvue DR500GW and also cleaned the windscreeen..I have also adjusted the Blackvue to point more downwards but the video quality is still not that good...
any advices?
How you mount your DR500? Try to position down a bit. Use the custom firmware 12mpbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dscheng said:
alexchoo said:
with the korean firmware, the video quality is not that good...I am going to do a test with this customized firmware and see how things goes...

I have cleaned the lens of my Blackvue DR500GW and also cleaned the windscreeen..I have also adjusted the Blackvue to point more downwards but the video quality is still not that good...
any advices?
How you mount your DR500? Try to position down a bit. Use the custom firmware 12mpbs.

Singapore looks so nice, clean, and organized...Where did you mount your cam?
Are the drivers there really courteous as well?

navyseals said:
Dscheng said:
alexchoo said:

any advices?

Thanks for the compliment. Singapore is indeed clean and organized. But life here is stress and every min is like fighting for time. Driver here are generally ok but tend to have a bit impatient. Do a search, singapore road accident in youtube. Maybe too many car in a tiny island. Car cost in singapore is also damn high !
Imagine a new BMW 3 series cost over USD$150,000 !

Out of topic, the famous recent ferrari accident happen in singapore.
Ferrari driver, cab driver and cab passenger was dead. Sad case.

This ferrari was driven by a china expatriate working in singapore.

Shortly after this ferrari accident after 1 week later. SAME SPOT !

navyseals said:
Dscheng said:
alexchoo said:

any advices?

Due to my car wiper X style, no choice, i have to mount more to driver side. But wide angle of DR500 managed to capture the both side. But more like fish eye effect.
20130302_080824_zps8bfe28d0.jpg

recorder can be flipped will be hidden behind the mirror
In the custom firmware, possibly flip the image

Hey mio,

Do you know why I can't change my timezone to be Toronto Eastern Standard Time -5 GMT?
I am stuck on Moscow time even after I erased the Moscow file.

navyseals said:
Hey mio,

Do you know why I can't change my timezone to be Toronto Eastern Standard Time -5 GMT?
I am stuck on Moscow time even after I erased the Moscow file.
What u need to do is, delete all the video file in /Blackvue/record folder. Make sure u copy the correct city zone. Then go to a open space when the GPS can be detected. On your recorder, wait for the blue gps light. You are done.

I have decided to get brave and upgrade my camera to this custom firmware. Firstly, I want to thank Mio for making this available to me, and to everyone else on here for their support and insight on this project!

One downside I am seeing to this new firmware... Now that the files are being recorded at 12mbps, the file size for a 3 minute file has jumped from 150 mb to about 250 mb... This makes it take much longer to transfer via wireless. (I tried turning on the N option, but it does not load the videos properly from the camera)...

It takes about 7 minutes to transfer the 3 minute file.

Anyone else notice this? I suppose I could change the file size to 2 mins or 1 minute, but that would just make even more files to look through.

horsepower said:
I have decided to get brave and upgrade my camera to this custom firmware. Firstly, I want to thank Mio for making this available to me, and to everyone else on here for their support and insight on this project!

One downside I am seeing to this new firmware... Now that the files are being recorded at 12mbps, the file size for a 3 minute file has jumped from 150 mb to about 250 mb... This makes it take much longer to transfer via wireless. (I tried turning on the N option, but it does not load the videos properly from the camera)...

It takes about 7 minutes to transfer the 3 minute file.

Anyone else notice this? I suppose I could change the file size to 2 mins or 1 minute, but that would just make even more files to look through.
yes I put 1min, the file size is abt 80-100mb per file. Yes it is slow. If u are concern abt the transfer speed, change to 8-10mbps.

Korean been done ​​restrictions on erasing the file 200Mb
If file more than 200MB, when the card will erase the problem
It is recommended to put 1 min.

Yes, 1 minute is the best option. If some event will occur, this is usually under 1 minute. After watching hundreds of russian dash cam videos I can say the accidents scenes are usually under 30 seconds.

I watched some videos also with the 12mbps option. The video is better for sure but there are still small problems and I think the problem is the quality of the codec used in the chipset and this cannot be changed.
A bigger bitrate will not offer for sure a better video. Make some tests, and if you will not see differences between 10mbps for example and 12mbps, use the lower bitrate. I expect over 9000kbps to don't see important differences.

enjoy,
Mtz

guys, what switch turns off the logo in the right bottom part of the screen? I couldn't find it in those auto-translated txt files... Thanks!

stanleyy this is an additional option
if you need to I give it

that would be great, thanks!

Hmmm. I still can't get my timezone to be Toronto Eastern Standard Time.

know which zone you are putting in a folder citytime?

Mio said:
know which zone you are putting in a folder citytime?

OHHHHH, so that's how you do it :lol: I was wondering what that was for...Thanks Mio. I was a little confused in the readme. Thanks again Mio!!!

Back