Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | NEW* V 1.1.1(E) Coming

I personally think that after installing the custom firmware this camera has the best video quality as far as dashcams go. The wide lens captures everything from side to side (pedestrian crosswalk for example) After the new auto-exposure fix coming in the new firmware and adding a polarize filter, I don't think this camera can be beat anytime soon.

Also Now we know that this camera is hackable so there is a potential for lot of custom modification. Not many cameras have teams working on hacks/mods to improve it.

As for Go-Pro, yes it has all those features but I don't think it was intended to be a dashcam in the car. Does it have the functions to loop video and simultaneously delete and start a new video without loosing any footage? I looked at getting a go-pro but the lack of those functions and not enough stealth kept me from going for it.

jsan said:
I personally think that after installing the custom firmware this camera has the best video quality as far as dashcams go. The wide lens captures everything from side to side (pedestrian crosswalk for example) After the new auto-exposure fix coming in the new firmware and adding a polarize filter, I don't think this camera can be beat anytime soon.

Also Now we know that this camera is hackable so there is a potential for lot of custom modification. Not many cameras have teams working on hacks/mods to improve it.

As for Go-Pro, yes it has all those features but I don't think it was intended to be a dashcam in the car. Does it have the functions to loop video and simultaneously delete and start a new video without loosing any footage? I looked at getting a go-pro but the lack of those functions and not enough stealth kept me from going for it.
Well I don't drive alot aside from going to and from work so a 32gb card has enough space to get a week's worth of footage in. Plus, I intend to use the footage to show case bad drivers on youtube so I don't want the footage to delete.

But who knows, I may pick the camera up again if the firmware mods improve the slow buffering over wifi. Also, I may get bored of editing the videos for youtube so I may go back to it and only post accidents that I end up getting involved in.

Mine wasn't very stealth since the battery protector kit thing didn't work and the wire holders didn't stick to the windshield even though I cleaned them prior, There was a wire hanging down from the camera to the cigarette lighter. I never left the camera out in the open, I brought it in at work and left it in the glove box while out.

McDurbin said:
jsan said:

Well I don't drive alot aside from going to and from work so a 32gb card has enough space to get a week's worth of footage in. Plus, I intend to use the footage to show case bad drivers on youtube so I don't want the footage to delete.

But who knows, I may pick the camera up again if the firmware mods improve the slow buffering over wifi. Also, I may get bored of editing the videos for youtube so I may go back to it and only post accidents that I end up getting involved in.

Mine wasn't very stealth since the battery protector kit thing didn't work and the wire holders didn't stick to the windshield even though I cleaned them prior, There was a wire hanging down from the camera to the cigarette lighter. I never left the camera out in the open, I brought it in at work and left it in the glove box while out.

What sort of a car was it in Mine is installed so the only wire you can see is down the rearview mirror stalk and onto the end of the camera Everything else is behind the trim Not hard to do and doesnt show from outside. Even the one in the rear of my wagon only has about 6 ins of wire showing and only because I couldnt get it to run into the taildoor and mounted it under the roof

The battery protector usually suffers from incorrect installation more than anything.

These cameras after all were not designed for what you and a lot of others want them to do.

They are plain and simple accident or incident recorders and not mini movie makers. A very small handicam may be more suited to what you want and can be fixed to the window with a GPS type suction mount .

The cars shows like Top Gear and others use them all the time.

You are trying to make a Ferrari out of a Proton Saga ROFL

Hi everyone.

I am new on here and have only recently bought my DR500. Like all of you, I am disappointed with the quality of the video. This forum seems fantastic with lots of knowledgeable people on it when if comes to dashcams.

Mio has very kindly sent me the custom firmware, but before I install it, I want to check what firmware my camera has at the moment.

I have read the entire forum and someone mentioned that I need to check the version.bin on the SD card, but when I look in Blackvue/Config, there are two files, config.ini and the version.bin. Version.bin just opens the VLC player. Config.ini has all the settings but does not mention the firmware version.

Can someone help, am I looking in the right place?

Cancel that, I've found it, I'm currently running Firmware Version 1.005, am good for the custom firmware update from Mio

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

Heocon said:
M-Element said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.
I installed your custom FW and it worked ok. because of I am just having 16GB SD card so I try to roll back to original FW by running the original setup file. and now the BV camera can not load the fw when i put the blank sd in and can not roll back to original FW ( the upgrade folder does not remove ). I thing I do wrong way. can you help me to rescue my camera. Thank you a lot.

Heocon, can you tell us you updated from which version custom FW to which version original FW?

V1.0.5E ( custom FW ) to V 1.005E ( original FW ). now it still work with custom FW ( recording nomaly ) but can not upgrade to other FW anf can not copy FW to SD card if I put the blank SD card in to VDR.

Mio, I am having the same problem. How do I go about solving this issue? Help will me much appreciated.

Thank you again Mio for the Custom Firmware. My DR500 is now running perfectly at 12MB, I did have a little problem with it showing the wrong time, but have now loaded the correct citytime and it is working properly again. I am so glad I found this forum.

The video is much better than before, I can not wait until we get even more improvements with V1.1.1 (E)

I have just ordered a 64GB SD card to give be a reasonable recording time with all the large files. Hopefully formatting that will be as easy as upgrading the the custom firmware.

i was going to ask for the custom firmware as well, but guess i'll wait for 1.1.1 to come out now.

Someone mentioned the hacked firmware doesnt do the wifi or not well? Is this true?

hackztor said:
Someone mentioned the hacked firmware doesnt do the wifi or not well? Is this true?

I think the issue was more to do with the higher bitrate creating much larger files, larger files obviously are much slower to load via wifi

hackztor said:

I haven't had any problems at all with the wi-fi. Yes the files are larger and take longer to load, but I have had no issues connecting to the device.

jokiin said:
hackztor said:

I think the issue was more to do with the higher bitrate creating much larger files, larger files obviously are much slower to load via wifi
Thats what it was. It took a long time just to load half of the clip.

McDurbin said:
jokiin said:
hackztor said:

Thats what it was. It took a long time just to load half of the clip.

I think if you've set a bitrate which has doubled or even tippled the file size there's not a lot that can be done to speed things up, a trade off I guess

Usually, i will transfer the video into my andriod hp by using OTG cable. It will faster for those using higher bitrate video. I only using WIFI for live video to adjust the video angle only or maybe some setting issue.

Thnx for the info. I guess it would still be fine if you got into an accident, since you will prob be there for a while anyways.

I have spare micro SD card while i am reviewing the video. Just to make sure it record 24/7, haha.

Hey Mio, how many days till the new firmware is ready? looking forward to the auto exposure fix

currently have found minor errors in 1.1.1
Now them are eliminating. We do 1.1.1a, and send you
A little patience
;)

don't rush the engineer, we don't want to brick out dvr's with faulty firmware. take as much time as you like to release the perfect code

Looking forward to the new Firmware Mio...

Be sure to send it my way when it's ready! :)

Now you just have to make a custom Blackvue iPhone App to change other settings in your firmware :p

Back