Dash Cam install w/pics

SoCalDriver

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a re-post from the genesisowners forums I'm also a member of. It's an enthusiast forum for Hyundai Genesis owners. (awesome cars)

In my old daily driver GMC Yukon I installed a dash cam. When I got the Genesis several months back I guess I'd just been too lazy to install it, but when I got home tonight I wanted to get it done. Here was the process....

My dash cam is known as a "Mini 801" it's a very good and best of all CHEAP 1080p dash cam. Mine has been performing well for nearly 2 years in the Los Angeles heat.

Anyway, the Mini 801 plugs into a standard 12v cigarette lighter port. However the camera only takes 5v. There is a step down transformer in the plug. I wanted to do a cleaner more permanent install in the Genesis without having to fuss around with plugging it in and unplugging it everyday. I knew I needed to create another cigarette style lighter plug and connect it to a switched power source so it would auto start/stop when the car is turned on and off and step down 12v to 5v so as to not fry the camera.

I first purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003EET3XY
Then this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001QRSBW0
As you know there are fuse boxes on the driver and passenger side. I originally wanted to install it on the passenger side however I quickly realized the components are way too bulky to fit anywhere on the passenger side with ease. So I went to the driver side in search of a switched power fuse I could use. I first tried one that turned out to be constant power (forget which one) then I decided to try the cruise control fuse. Perfect! switched power!

I basically just connected all the components, stuffed them inside the fuse box door, hid the wire under the headliner and everything looks pro. Here's some pics as well as a video of the mini 801 if any of you are interested in learning more about it. By the way, there is now a mini 803 which is supposed to be better but my 801 still works so well I see no reason to switch.

Video from when it was installed in my Yukon... hope you like Edie Brickell cause it was cranked! (why the camera mic was clipping) lol

Video review of the camera from a great dash cam reviewer:

Some pics of the install in the Genesis...

Attachments

• IMG_4483x.jpg
    IMG_4483x.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 41
I see I've been away from these forums and the world of Dash Cams for quite awhile. Looks like the Mini 0801 has been updated a few times with improvements in each. I might have to consider upgrading the cam in the Genesis and re-installing the 0801 in my Yukon which is not driven nearly as much anymore. It appears as though any of the subsequent revisions would use the same infrastructure. So I could just unplug the 0801 and plug in the new model.

I think from mini 0803 forward, they switched to micro USB for power. but splicing in a micro in for that mini USB lead is fairly simple.

I think from mini 0803 forward, they switched to micro USB for power. but splicing in a micro in for that mini USB lead is fairly simple.

Thanks for the info, I think I actually have a micro adapter that would work if I ever want to upgrade.

You should angle it downwards so there's less sky and more road in the video.

Usually ratio is 40/60 from horizon.
40% sky, above horizon, and 60% below horizon. ( right picture below )

Horison Line.jpg

Yeah ppl tend to not wanna film ther dashbord, but in order for the camera to ajust itself best possibel to changes in light conditions, its best to use the 40/60 split niko talk about.
Even with that slightly downward angle you should still be able to have lights at intersections in frame ASO.

Guys, the video is from when it was in my Yukon not my current vehicle. In my current vehicle the way the windshield is angled it unfortunately has to be angled downward. I don't like it at all I preferred to have it angled so the hood was just out of frame. But I've decided since my 801 is now malfunctioning it's time to find a better solution.

Back