Dash cam install causing TPMS and RCDLR failures

Agave

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself first, I am Agave from Istanbul and owner of 2021 BMW 3.20i (G20).
I want to write my problem and I hope that someone have a idea related to it. I have a dashcam which is viofo A129 Duo. I used it before on my 2018 F20 1.18i and there was no problem. However, I cannot use this camera in my G20. I made connection of it properly to fuse box and camera begin to work properly but the car’s front FPMS (Tire-pressure monitoring system) gave fail and the car couldn’t measure the tyre pressures. Also, RCDLR (remote control door lock receive) did not work properly. Normally, remote opens/closes the doors away from the car (lets say from 50 metres). However, when camera installed, remote began to work only near the car (~1 metre). If I disconnect the wires of the camera, FPMS and RCDLR return to working normal again as before installing the dashcam. Whenever camera opens, car’s FPMS and RCDLR does not work properly. Whenever I disconnect the daschcam, everything be ok.
By the way, I’ve tried the connect the dashcam not only by fuse box but also via usb cable. The problems began again. The problem is not related to connection method, the problem is camera itself.
I think that maybe the frequency of dashcam’s wifi and the car’s frequency effect each other negatively. Then, I’ve checked whether the wifi is on or off and I’ve seen that the wifi is off already.
My last idea related this issue is that, GPS of dashcam and GPS of car may be effect each other negatively.
Meanwhile, I’ve done research related this issue and the only topic I could find is below. (The same problem has been discussed in the Camaro forum, but no solution has been found and the issue is left in the air.)
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451390
As of today, unfortunately, I can not use my camera. If anyone can help me, I will be grateful to them.

Thanks a lot from now.

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself first, I am Agave from Istanbul and owner of 2021 BMW 3.20i (G20).
I want to write my problem and I hope that someone have a idea related to it. I have a dashcam which is viofo A129 Duo. I used it before on my 2018 F20 1.18i and there was no problem. However, I cannot use this camera in my G20. I made connection of it properly to fuse box and camera begin to work properly but the car’s front FPMS (Tire-pressure monitoring system) gave fail and the car couldn’t measure the tyre pressures. Also, RCDLR (remote control door lock receive) did not work properly. Normally, remote opens/closes the doors away from the car (lets say from 50 metres). However, when camera installed, remote began to work only near the car (~1 metre). If I disconnect the wires of the camera, FPMS and RCDLR return to working normal again as before installing the dashcam. Whenever camera opens, car’s FPMS and RCDLR does not work properly. Whenever I disconnect the daschcam, everything be ok.
By the way, I’ve tried the connect the dashcam not only by fuse box but also via usb cable. The problems began again. The problem is not related to connection method, the problem is camera itself.
I think that maybe the frequency of dashcam’s wifi and the car’s frequency effect each other negatively. Then, I’ve checked whether the wifi is on or off and I’ve seen that the wifi is off already.
My last idea related this issue is that, GPS of dashcam and GPS of car may be effect each other negatively.
Meanwhile, I’ve done research related this issue and the only topic I could find is below. (The same problem has been discussed in the Camaro forum, but no solution has been found and the issue is left in the air.)
As of today, unfortunately, I can not use my camera. If anyone can help me, I will be grateful to them.

Thanks a lot from now.
Welcome Agave,

Sounds like you have covered many of the suggestions you would have got in this forum already.

While I don't have a solution I have a couple ideas you might consider trying.

Power the dashcam from a usb power bank that supports USB 3 output as the camera draws more than 500ma when starting.

Doing this will help identify if the problem is power or frequency related.

While the Dashcam will emit frequencies these are under metal plates to help reduce interference.
A gps unit doesn't transmit but is designed to receive. It might have electromagnetic interference (EMI) or noise coming from the unit.
As part of the test remove the gps from the Dashcam and only power up the Dashcam using the power bank.

If your car devices work correctly then it would seem to be a power supply problem.

One last thought is Bluetooth. The A129 Duo uses Bluetooth for the remote capture feature. This might be transmitting all the time and there is no disable feature.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am gonna try them tomorrow or weekend. Cheers :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot from now.
You have a bad fuse tap. It must be limiting current. Or you have the fuses in backwards for powering the dash camera and the factory fuse. Do you have pictures of fusetap?

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot from now.
Please unplug the rear camera to confirm if the interference still exists. If not, we will send you a metal magnetic ring to test.

Please unplug the rear camera to confirm if the interference still exists. If not, we will send you a metal magnetic ring to test.
There may be interference from the cable from front to rear? Never would have even guessed that.

Sounds like EMI/ magnetic interference with where the hardwire kit is plugged assuming everything else is installed properly and you did not pick the fuse tap that is powering car brains. Viofo has reached out to you with the only reasonable solution. Their hk kit already has a ferrite bead at the output close to camera (black round box), but that usually takes care of 50% of the problem. You'd ideally need 2 ferrite beads, one added to the output line of HK kit that goes to camera (and preferably with an extra loop) these are complicated things and hard to explain, but reach out to Viofo and see if their solution works.

Hi everyone, sorry for delay. I was in another city so, I could not try your suggestions. This weekend I will try them and inform you. Thank you all.

Regards.

Hi,

I did unplug the rear camera and now, it seems everything is ok. Camera works properly but I can not use the rear camera. Now, what can be do in order to I can use the rear camera? GPS connection is normal and it works, by the way.

Hi,

I did unplug the rear camera and now, it seems everything is ok. Camera works properly but I can not use the rear camera. Now, what can be do in order to I can use the rear camera? GPS connection is normal and it works, by the way.
Thanks for your cooperation. Please open a ticket to get ferrite beads to test at this point: https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I want to thank to Viofo Support Team. The problem is the interference due to back camera. I've bought metal rings and applied to the back and front. So, the interference almost gone. Surely, it is not the same as the unpluging the rear camera and activating the rear camera but in daily life, remote controller is working away from ~30 meters. For your information.

Regards.

Back