Dash Cam Reliability

My friends 2 most expensive cameras, sit high on roofs on a pole, and cook in the sun for most of the day, or at least the part where it is the strongest.
Mind you as they are PTZ cameras they do have a circulation fan inside, which i am not too sure do too much in regard to heat dissipation in the summer, i am inclined to think it is more there to circulate heat in the winter.
Something that got to see some heat too must be antennas on cell towers, they also sit up there cooking all day if the sun is out.

No sun here today, and even if it was it would not hit my CCTV camera, but the mast out back ( filmed from my camera ) is right there waiting for the sun, and 5G antennas.
That mast though ! i dont understand why they only put the antennas half way up it, even if this is pretty much the highest structure in my town, as it is up on the hill and tall on its own.
but the antennas are just in 3-4 floor high, IMO they should be much higher up, but maybe that is where they will put the 5G antennas.

mast.jpg

Last edited:
My friends 2 most expensive cameras, sit high on roofs on a pole, and cook in the sun for most of the day, or at least the part where it is the strongest.
Something that got to see some heat too must be antennas on cell towers, they also sit up there cooking all day if the sun is out.

It would be interesting to put a temperature probe inside a CCTV camera out in the sun and see what readings you get. I would imagine a waterproof sealed metal housing with no ventilation would get pretty hot inside.

Some do seem to have a option to display temperature,,,, the inside one i assume, maybe the SOC temperature.
But yeah would be fun to see.

I can easy get on the roof where one of my friends PTZ cameras is, and measure it with a temp gun on the outside, but that is only the opening paragraph in the text.

It is easy to spot my friends 2 PTZ cameras, they are right there on google street view.
It is just the furthest away one that is easy accessible as you can sort of walk right up on the roof of the stable, the one on the main house do demand a couple of ladders to get near.

PTZ.jpg

not at all, many reasons why they would do that, market test, market demand, legal issues etc

massive can of worms when it comes to integrating it into the vehicle, would keep the lawyers busy for a very long time trying to work out their obligations/liabilities in each sales region

Agreed. You = Small Fish in a big sea. Car manufacturers are billion dollar conglomerates with deep pockets. So everything they do has to be looked at from a liability standpoint. Most Dash Cam manufacturers are out of China. Good luck suing there. And resellers are global. So pretty much 3rd party gives you a nice huge disclaimer for liability.

Not true for car manufacturers who hub all around the world!

Thankfully mine does not auto-steer at all, it only gives a very loud vibration on the steering wheel akin to driving on the bumper strip on a highway.
I have a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GTR.

Adaptive cruise control is a Godsend. I can no longer drive a car long distance without it.

Ya, adaptive cruise control is a godsend. I wish my vehicle had it as it's pretty effective and does a good job. Although, it's also very easy to get complacent, too. People place an over reliance on these aids and technology does fail. This is why many systems alert the drive if their hands are removed from the wheel. Supplemental safety system, not driver replacement. Goes for autonomous driving, too.

Also, easy to get "road fatigue" if something is doing the work. So that is a draw back of being "less involved"

That being said, I wish I had adaptive cruise control!

You're nice? Now that's a laugh.

And once again, we get to witness you projecting your personal behavior onto others. Just yesterday, I commented that It is seems impossible for you to engage in any discussion without resorting to demeaning insults and belittling people , so now, the very next day you accuse me of belittling people. And you've done exactly the same thing several other times now. It's really rather amusing at this point.

"Concisely"? You're kidding right? :LOL:

I don't know that I've ever seen such a manic screed like this on DCT. This astonishing logorrhea you engage in here seems full of nothing but denial, misinformation and made up factoids.

All people have to do is read your replies. But I'm going to let this go to focus on the main point.

And as I said earlier, it is quite remarkable seeing someone having to replacing more than one brand new 200-300 dollar camera, spend month after month complaining loudly about all the problems and issues they've encountered suddenly start pounding the table about how reliable they've been and how pleased they are with their purchases.

Clearly you don't read and this is the problem. Complaining about a bug, and yes maybe a bit loud, but a BUG that doesn't affect reliability.

Do you not read what I wrote? You seem to type a response then read what people write AFTER the fact.

Bug - Annoying, May Affect Performance, DOES NOT AFFECT reliability, and can be corrected through software.

Fatal Flaw - Design flaw (overheating, camera failing to operate or record randomly not related to memory card, etc) that cannot be correct by software.

Speaking of denial, if you feel the need to add another camera for redundancy go right ahead, but don't try to tell us you are confident that your first camera will be there for you when you need it. Either, you trust it to be "100% reliable" as you claim it to be or you don't. You obviously don't.

A lot of people here run redundancy with dash cameras. Things fail! Do you back up important data? Why? Hardware doesn't last forever

You have difficulty grasping very simple concepts. Take the impossible scenario of a 100% reliable camera that never fails and has no bugs. Even this camera will die at some point. Hardware doesn't last forever. So if you rely on this and don't upgrade over time, there will be an instance at X moment down the road that camera no longer functions.

I don't want to be in a position where a RELIABLE CAMERA (A129 Duo) one day dies from NORMAL USE. My luck, that moment would be when I need the video the most.

Two is better than one. Redundancy.

You make it clear that you know little regarding many of the subjects you pontificate about. I don't really care how many reviews you have read. I've based my opinions on more than a decade of hands on experience plus what friends and colleagues have shared with me about their CCTV systems. Like anything, some do fail occasionally, but the point is that CCTV cameras tend to be FAR more reliable than dash cams and usually can be relied upon to run years on end 24/7 in very challenging conditions without a hiccup.

As for what I posted, you don't seem to know what you are looking at. The first image shows a standard consumer grade CCTV bullet camera similar to one of the models in my system. The second image is indeed of more commercial level cameras.

But, as is so often the case, you miss the point again. I posted those images in reply to your erroneous claim that CCTV cameras don't sit "baking in the sun all day". They do!

The second image you posted is clearly not a consumer CCTV System. I get the point. But you MISS IT.

Consumer Grade CCTV systems

1. Have many complaints about water intrusion into case housings. Look up CCTV cameras. A lot of the cheaper systems are "Caveat Emptor".
2. Dash Cameras sit in a very hot enclosed car while CCTV Cameras do not.
3. A hot car can get 170-200 Degrees Fahrenheit (77C-93C). No CCTV system will EVER experience this level of heat.

Comparing CCTV systems to Dash Cams is asinine. Because CCTV systems DO NOT have to withstand the same rigors. CCTV systems are subjected to Cold (never a problem with overheating) and moisture (rain, snow, etc). And while they sit in a hot baking sun, they will never be exposed to the same thermal temperatures as a Dash Cam sitting parked in an enclosed car.

Electronics HATE HEAT!

Furthermore, consumer grade CCTV's come in all varieties like Dash Cams. From your cheap ones that don't work with a damn to your more expensive industrial level. With prices going from a few hundred dollars to 10s of thousands of dollars for government level systems.

Someone spending a "few hundred dollars" on a CCTV system is not going to get the best on the market. That's the price of MOST Consumer Grade Dash Cameras.

Prove me wrong that $200-300 bucks will buy you a 99% RELIABLE, Complaint Free, Consumer Grade CCTV system and we can put this argument to rest.

FYI: I'm not talking some low grade ring doorbell. I'm talking cameras mounted on a building / private residence CCTV system like you DEMONSTRATED in your earlier post with pictures.

Last edited:
BTW, @HonestReview , I'm not the one talking about 100% reliability in dash cams, YOU are.

100% reliability would be great but I believe that will be unlikely. Everything is vulnerable to failure, one way or another. Personally my goal in bringing this topic up in the first place is that I would like to see dash cam manufacturers devote more emphasis on reliability as a primary design goal.

The A129 Duo is 100% reliable.

@HonestReview, Enough with this already! Try to get a grip on yourself! I know it's hard for you.

So basically, I take this to a civil manner asking you a question, based upon statements you made. And your response is to dodge it?

Understood. We can now accept that you will not find a PERFECT CCTV system in the Dash Cam Price Range. Making your expectations unrealistic.

We can also accept that redundancy may have nothing to do with "reliability" and more to do with wanting to be protected against "Normal Every Day Use" failures.

Thanks. Conversation ended.

BTW, @HonestReview , I'm not the one talking about 100% reliability in dash cams, YOU are.

I totally agree with the original list you posted earlier and the basic concepts you are talking about but my view is that instead of warnings about failures and errors we need to encourage dash cam manufacturers to strive to build dash cams that are less prone to failures in the first place! Again, more like CCTV camera reliability. They usually run 24/7 for months and years at a time in very challenging environments and very wide temperature extremes with zero failures.
d

Zero failures for CCTV cams implies/ infers= 100% reliability. Those were your words not mine.

So find me a $200-300 CCTV system matching these expectations, as that's what most Dash Cam's cost, and we can put this discussion to rest.

I want a reliable Dash Cam, one I can trust, and one that works (knowing mass production yields bad batches / units). That's why warranties exist. But I am realistic, in that if $200-300 fulfills these goals (doesn't overheat, records reliably, decent to good quality images), I am happy.

And I also understand that things wear out and glitches happen. So two is better than one for the sake of redundnacy. And not necesssarily poor quality or reliability. Thus my A129 Duo and Fingers crossed a working A139 3 chan.

Last edited:
So basically, I take this to a civil manner asking you a question, based upon statements you made. And your response is to dodge it?

Understood. We can now accept that you will not find a PERFECT CCTV system in the Dash Cam Price Range. Making your expectations unrealistic.

We can also accept that redundancy may have nothing to do with "reliability" and more to do with wanting to be protected against "Normal Every Day Use" failures.

Thanks. Conversation ended.
What I've said is that CCTV cameras are FAR more reliable than dash cams. And yes, they can indeed be 100% reliable for very extended periods of time (years). As I mentioned previously, one of my cameras has been running perfectly almost 24/7 for 12 years. It sits in direct hot sun for many hours of the day. I will call that 100% reliable at this point. If you want to cherry pick my posts you might take note that I also mentioned a few camera failures over the years, primarily when the IR emitters eventually reach end of life after 50,000 hours or so and begin to fade or blink out so now the otherwise still working cameras then needed to be replaced in order to maintain the ability to see in the dark. When a camera literally dies of old age after many years and many ten of thousands of hours of perfect service running 24/7 I will say it was 100% reliable. No product lasts forever, but these cameras owed me nothing in the end.

Just be clear, I'm talking about systems similar to mine which accommodate multiple cameras and have a central DVR or NVR in the $1200-$1800 range including recorder and multi-terabyte hard drive and depending which types of cameras you want to install. And also to be clear, as far as reliability is concerned I am talking specifically about the cameras, not the DVR itself. But FWIW, the DVR I've had in service has been operating for 12 years now, so I will call it 100% reliable at this point. But it is the cameras that correspond more directly to dash cams as they must function in highly challenging environments. The cameras in this case are similar in price to typical dash cams and usually cost between $150 and $200 or so each. Each of these cameras uses chip-sets, sensors and lenses that are nearly identical to the ones used in our dash cams. The chip-sets in many of our dash cams are available configured for surveillance cameras and are essentially the same thing. If you added a memory card slot and a screen to any of these CCTV cams I'm describing, you'd basically have a dash cam. A few years ago I installed a couple of lower priced vandal dome cameras that cost much less than I paid for the earlier ones but offer much higher performance. They too are very well built from cast aluminum with IP66 weather specs, thus VERY waterproof. No leaks. These too have proven highly reliable to date. I've never had a CCTV leak EVER, That's what IP66 means.

Last edited:
What I've said is that CCTV cameras are FAR more reliable than dash cams.

No What you said about CCTV setups is anything but ambiguous, is taken verbatim from this thread, and definitely not out of context. You're implying that CCTV setups are basically without fault for months to years at a time. Insinuating near perfection.

I totally agree with the original list you posted earlier and the basic concepts you are talking about but my view is that instead of warnings about failures and errors we need to encourage dash cam manufacturers to strive to build dash cams that are less prone to failures in the first place! Again, more like CCTV camera reliability. They usually run 24/7 for months and years at a time in very challenging environments and very wide temperature extremes with zero failures.

Then...note the last sentence....Not May, Or Some...But USUALLY RUN (implying most or a large majority).

And yes, they can indeed be 100% reliable for very extended periods of time (years). As I mentioned previously, one of my cameras has been running perfectly almost 24/7 for 12 years. It sits in direct hot sun for many hours of the day. I will call that 100% reliable at this point. If you want to cherry pick my posts you might take note that I also mentioned a few camera failures over the years, primarily when the IR emitters eventually reach end of life after 50,000 hours or so and begin to fade or blink out so now the otherwise still working cameras then needed to be replaced in order to maintain the ability to see in the dark. When a camera literally dies of old age after many years and many ten of thousands of hours of perfect service running 24/7 I will say it was 100% reliable. No product lasts forever, but these cameras owed me nothing in the end.

Cherry picking is finding a post that may or may not be relevant to the given conservation. I simply went to page 3 of this very discussion to extract the quote. Nothing cherry picked. What it now sounds like is back peddling.

1. You tell me about a near 100% reliable product.

2. You go on to describe "Wear and Tear" as natural or in this case 50,000 Hrs = 2083 days or 5.7 years

3. On your logic alone, running another CCTV system in Tandem makes no sense. But yet, you just told me how through normal wear and tear, even the so called 100% reliable product fails.

A. Do you have physic abilities to know when said CCTV will fail?
B. Are you able to see into the future and set a definitive day and time said camera will fail?

Obviously, A and B are rhetorical questions with an clear "NO". Said camera could last 3 years, 5 years, or maybe ten. If someone keeps their same stups long term, at some random time in the future, the product will begin or totally give out.

= Reason why Running 2 Dash Cameras is important for redundancy sake. I cannot know, nor can you, when these product will make its last record.

Just be clear, I'm talking about systems similar to mine which accommodate multiple cameras and have a central DVR or NVR in the $1200-$1800 range including recorder and multi-terabyte hard drive and depending which types of cameras you want to install. And also to be clear, as far as reliability is concerned I am talking specifically about the cameras, not the DVR itself. But FWIW, the DVR I've had in service has been operating for 12 years now, so I will call it 100% reliable at this point. But it is the cameras that correspond more directly to dash cams as they must function in highly challenging environments. The cameras in this case are similar in price to typical dash cams and usually cost between $150 and $200 or so each. Each of these cameras uses chip-sets, sensors and lenses that are nearly identical to the ones used in our dash cams. The chip-sets in many of our dash cams are available configured for surveillance cameras and are essentially the same thing. If you added a memory card slot and a screen to any of these CCTV cams I'm describing, you'd basically have a dash cam. A few years ago I installed a couple of lower priced vandal dome cameras that cost much less than I paid for the earlier ones but offer much higher performance. They too are very well built from cast aluminum with IP66 weather specs, thus VERY waterproof. No leaks. These too have proven highly reliable to date. I've never had a CCTV leak EVER, That's what IP66 means.

So now we went from $200-300 USD Dash Camera system to a $1200-$1800 CCTV setup for comparison. Analogous to saying I bought a Toyota but I'm expecting Mercedes Luxury. To further prove your point, you hearken to a CCTV system that's anywhere from 6 and upwards of 8 times more expensive than most if not all consumer grade dash cameras.

If anything you've proven what I said all along. You can't expect caviar on a beer budget taste. $1200-1800 buys far more in terms of durable equipment than the normal $200-300 dash cam.

Even so, CCTVs are outdoors. They are not sitting in a 93 Celcius / degree 200F enclosed environment in the dead of summer. Electronics LOVE cold, meaning colder the better. People have used liquid nitrogen to cool overclocked processors to test their limits. I've yet to hear many complaints (if any) that it was too cold and my camera failed. On the other hands, I've mentioned two dash cameras (139 and Zengox T3) where heat related failures are a problem or at least in my case (139). To top it off, CCTV systems, even on a hot day are exposed to circulating air. A dash cam locked in a car with close windows has no such luxury.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but if it was $1200-$1800 gets you a lot better, more reliable equipment, then this is a no brainer. If it was a $200-300 dash cam should function at the same level of reliability that a the $1200-$1800 cctv costs, be prepared for disappointment

End of day, make a fair comparison. Find me $200 or $300 home cctv setup with 99% positive reviews, uptime, and reliability, and we can then agee. Sadly, I surmise your endeavor to find such a product isn't on the horizon anytime soom.

Last edited:
@kamkar The reason the cell phone antennas are low is to intentionally limit range so each tower carries the lowest load possible without losing area coverage. A high antenna would capture far more phone signals and become unable to handle new traffic. It also ensures that your phone's low-power transmitter will connect to a near-by tower instead of locking into a more distant one where signal strength may be inadequate.

Phil

It has been interesting to read people's views on this subject. My personal, limited experience from many years of dashcam ownership and testing is that some manufacturers such as Street Guardian place a high priority on reliability, sticking with dependable 1080p hardware and good customer support. Then there are others such as Viofo who offer more exciting products (4K, multi-channel, HDR, buffered parking, station mode etc.) that have a higher failure rate and wider range of issues that are never fixed. And finally I've been testing Mobius cameras for a number of years - the original Mobius 1 is amongst the most reliable cameras you can use as a dashcam, but that seems to be more by luck than anything else and they have failed to replicate that achievement with any subsequent product. My testing doesn't seem to be helping them very much!

I've bought cameras from some other companies including Aukey, Xiaomi and WinyCam, but none of them lasted for more than a few months before they were returned or consigned to my box of spare parts.

My core setup is 4 cameras. An SG9663DR front & back, and a Viofo A129 Duo for left & right sides. Minor niggles aside, both of them just work and do the job I expect from them, every single day. My 8-year-old Mobius 1 is now serving as a telephoto dashcam. Other cameras may come and go if I'm testing something, but only the reliable ones earn a long term place in my car.

I don't like driving without a dashcam. I always take the time to install one in a hire car when mine is being serviced. And I bought another reliable A129 for use in my partner's car.

Last edited:
It has been interesting to read people's views on this subject. My personal, limited experience from many years of dashcam ownership and testing is that some manufacturers such as Street Guardian place a high priority on reliability, sticking with dependable 1080p hardware and good customer support. Then there are others such as Viofo who offer more exciting products (4K, multi-channel, HDR, buffered parking, station mode etc.) that have a higher failure rate and wider range of issues that are never fixed. And finally I've been testing Mobius cameras for a number of years - the original Mobius 1 is amongst the most reliable cameras you can use as a dashcam, but that seems to be more by luck than anything else and they have failed to replicate that achievement with any subsequent product. My testing doesn't seem to be helping them very much!

I've bought cameras from some other companies including Aukey, Xiaomi and WinyCam, but none of them lasted for more than a few months before they were returned or consigned to my box of spare parts.

My core setup is 4 cameras. An SG9663DR front & back, and a Viofo A129 Duo for left & right sides. Minor niggles aside, both of them just work and do the job I expect from them, every single day. My 8-year-old Mobius 1 is now serving as a telephoto dashcam. Other cameras may come and go if I'm testing something, but only the reliable ones earn a long term place in my car.

I don't like driving without a dashcam. I always take the time to install one in a hire car when mine is being serviced. And I bought another reliable A129 for use in my partner's car.
i wish more companies would do like your SG9663DR where you can easily have a compact dashcam with a high 4k 8mp+ sensor for example to put in the car windscreen and the actual main brain / pcb is in an external box....

this would solve so many issues when comes to dashcams getting hot or overheating and shutting down due to being able to place the main box else where in the car or if the unit has no screen then it can be put into the box in the glovebox or even behind the dash by the fuse panel etc

could make dashcams way more stealthy

i wish more companies would do like your SG9663DR where you can easily have a compact dashcam with a high 4k 8mp+ sensor for example to put in the car windscreen and the actual main brain / pcb is in an external box....

this would solve so many issues when comes to dashcams getting hot or overheating and shutting down due to being able to place the main box else where in the car or if the unit has no screen then it can be put into the box in the glovebox or even behind the dash by the fuse panel etc

could make dashcams way more stealthy

I think the issue is accessibility. Even the main unit being moved away from windshield still has caveats. You need the unit within reach to control the cameras, make sure things are working, etc. So you can't necessarily hide the "brains" unless you want to randomly discover problems.

As most systems beep or use some sort of auditory sound. However, if it freezes, you hear nothing. This is why being able to the lights or a screen are important. While taking the main unit off the windshield may help reduce heat, the only logical place it can go is on the dashboard. That may or may not be enough to prevent the sun from baking the unit. I guess this theory would need tested. It would at least remove the main unit out of "Direct Sunlight", but the car itself still gets hot.

SG is an Australian based company and they put their products through rigorous testing. 2 camera setups (F+R) are far more durable and generate less heat. My A129 Duo has never overheated. Developing a solid 3 channel camera would take some serious engineering. We shall see if the A139 withstands the rigors. I'll have a replacement unit soon.

I did ask @jokiin about why SG doesn't develop 3 channels and he said there's no market. Disappointing, as SG does appear to be the company primed to do things right. I've never seen customer service like @jokiin provides from any other Dash Cam maker.

Most are Chinese Based, have limited English Skills , and support is hit and miss.

Maybe one say SG will jump into the fray of a 3 channel unit and we'll have a product made to "perfection". As I'm positive Street Guardian wouldn't put out a product they haven't tested the hell out of.
1625333378562.png

No What you said about CCTV setups is anything but ambiguous, is taken verbatim from this thread, and definitely not out of context. You're implying that CCTV setups are basically without fault for months to years at a time. Insinuating near perfection.

Then...note the last sentence....Not May, Or Some...But USUALLY RUN (implying most or a large majority).

Cherry picking is finding a post that may or may not be relevant to the given conservation. I simply went to page 3 of this very discussion to extract the quote. Nothing cherry picked. What it now sounds like is back peddling.

1. You tell me about a near 100% reliable product.

2. You go on to describe "Wear and Tear" as natural or in this case 50,000 Hrs = 2083 days or 5.7 years

3. On your logic alone, running another CCTV system in Tandem makes no sense. But yet, you just told me how through normal wear and tear, even the so called 100% reliable product fails.

A. Do you have physic abilities to know when said CCTV will fail?
B. Are you able to see into the future and set a definitive day and time said camera will fail?

Obviously, A and B are rhetorical questions with an clear "NO". Said camera could last 3 years, 5 years, or maybe ten. If someone keeps their same stups long term, at some random time in the future, the product will begin or totally give out.

= Reason why Running 2 Dash Cameras is important for redundancy sake. I cannot know, nor can you, when these product will make its last record.

So now we went from $200-300 USD Dash Camera system to a $1200-$1800 CCTV setup for comparison. Analogous to saying I bought a Toyota but I'm expecting Mercedes Luxury. To further prove your point, you hearken to a CCTV system that's anywhere from 6 and upwards of 8 times more expensive than most if not all consumer grade dash cameras.

If anything you've proven what I said all along. You can't expect caviar on a beer budget taste. $1200-1800 buys far more in terms of durable equipment than the normal $200-300 dash cam.

Even so, CCTVs are outdoors. They are not sitting in a 93 Celcius / degree 200F enclosed environment in the dead of summer. Electronics LOVE cold, meaning colder the better. People have used liquid nitrogen to cool overclocked processors to test their limits. I've yet to hear many complaints (if any) that it was too cold and my camera failed. On the other hands, I've mentioned two dash cameras (139 and Zengox T3) where heat related failures are a problem or at least in my case (139). To top it off, CCTV systems, even on a hot day are exposed to circulating air. A dash cam locked in a car with close windows has no such luxury.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but if it was $1200-$1800 gets you a lot better, more reliable equipment, then this is a no brainer. If it was a $200-300 dash cam should function at the same level of reliability that a the $1200-$1800 cctv costs, be prepared for disappointment

End of day, make a fair comparison. Find me $200 or $300 home cctv setup with 99% positive reviews, uptime, and reliability, and we can then agee. Sadly, I surmise your endeavor to find such a product isn't on the horizon anytime soom.

These quarrelsome, lengthy, obsessive compulsive posts of yours are becoming pretty absurd and tiresome at this point, my friend. As you don't seem to have anything cogent to say that contributes in any way to the actual topic of the discussion but instead engage in couched insults and contentious picking apart of my posts for which adverbs I may have used it is all starting to come across as a form of trolling. You've been going at it with this nonsense for 10 days now. It's really time to move on.

By way of example, you are now arguing with me for trying to carefully explain to you what type of CCTV surveillance systems I'm talking about since you've make it clear that you don't know anything about them and have no personal experience with them.

I could not have been more clear that I am talking about a system that employs multiple individual cameras connected to a central base unit (DVR) for recording and monitoring.

I could not have been more clear that the entire system might cost $1200-$1800 but such a system like the one I have can manage as many as 8 individual cameras simultaneously.

I could not have been more clear in making a distinction between the overall cost of such a system and the cost of the individual cameras which are in the same price range as dash cameras and use the same basic chip-sets, sensors and class of lenses. Dash cams were invented because someone basically got the clever idea to take existing off-the-shelf CCTV components and put them into small cheap plastic housings, except the build quality and durability of even modestly priced CCTV cameras remains far higher than today's average dash camera.

And also to be clear, as far as reliability is concerned I am talking specifically about the cameras, not the DVR itself. The cameras in this case are similar in price to typical dash cams and usually cost between $150 and $200 or so each. Each of these cameras uses chip-sets, sensors and lenses that are nearly identical to the ones used in our dash cams. The chip-sets in many of our dash cams are available configured for surveillance cameras and are essentially the same thing. If you added a memory card slot and a screen to any of these CCTV cams I'm describing, you'd basically have a dash cam.

So now you are trying to make the ridiculous and bogus contention that I am talking about some "Mercedes" camera that costs $1200-$1800 when anyone paying attention would have clearly seen that not to be the case

Either you have problem with reading comprehension or you are going out of your way to continue to manufacture an ongoing, gratuitous arguments with me. Since this has been the pattern throughout I'd say it's the later. I mean, we've already thoroughly discussed how extremely hot hermetically sealed CCTV cameras can become when they bake in direct sunlight but now you want to revisit the argument as if it never happened.

I'll say this one more time HonestReview, after ten days of this it's time to move on. Please go find someone else to do your bombastic, contentious thing with. I've had about enough of it already.

Last edited:
These quarrelsome, lengthy, obsessive compulsive posts of yours are becoming pretty absurd and tiresome at this point, my friend. As you don't seem to have anything cogent to say that contributes in any way to the actual topic of the discussion but instead engage in couched insults and contentious picking apart of my posts for which adverbs I may have used it is all starting to come across as a form of trolling. You've been going at it with this nonsense for 10 days now. It's really time to move on.

You made a point about absolute reliability. Now you back peddle. It is what it is.

And also to be clear, as far as reliability is concerned I am talking specifically about the cameras, not the DVR itself. The cameras in this case are similar in price to typical dash cams and usually cost between $150 and $200 or so each. Each of these cameras uses chip-sets, sensors and lenses that are nearly identical to the ones used in our dash cams. The chip-sets in many of our dash cams are available configured for surveillance cameras and are essentially the same thing. If you added a memory card slot and a screen to any of these CCTV cams I'm describing, you'd basically have a dash cam.

Except this statement is without merit. Which is why I addressed it in the manner I did.

The "DVR" are the brains / central unit. You cannot have a Camera without the DVR in a CCTV system. Simply buying a $200 camera for a CCTV system and using it as a comparison is nonsense. A CCTV "DVR" is not placed outside and subjected to the rigors (heat) that Dash Cam's face baking in the sun.

Second, it's not the individual camera itself overheating, but the "DVR" failing on a Dash Camera. Since Dash Cameras often integrate the DVR into the unit mounted on the windshield. The individual Cameras are "FINE". Just like in a CCTV system.

So basically you fail at two points:

1. Hermetically sealed individual cameras are not achieving the same levels of heat on an individual basis as a Dash Camera Mounted on a Hot Windshield in an enclosed vehicle.

2. Similar to a CCTV system, the individual cameras are not at fault. It's not like on a 3 Channel System, I am losing one the rear Camera and the Interior and Front work fine. What happens on a Dash Cam is the Main DVR (also subjected to the same extreme heat), causes the entire setup to eventually fail.

You aren't placing a CCTV DVR into the elements. It sits indoors on a CCTV system.

Zenfox T3 tried to mitigate this by having the interior camera disable when the Main Unit (Front + interior integrated into one body) overheated. With Front + Rear recording. However, the camera itself would overheat as disabling the Interior was a Temporary Stop Gap. At some point, the unit simply got to hot and everything ceased to work.

The point I'm making, and you overlook, is CCTV systems face LESS challenges in continuous operation than a Dash Camera.

Last edited:
Back