Dashcam that I can quickly remove, slip in my pocket and leave the car?

bebop

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
G1W-C
Hello everybody.
I need to buy a dashcam that I can easily unplug, slip in my pocket, park the car and leave.
The camera of course needs to be easy to plug back in. These actions should take place with one hand in a couple of seconds, I don't want to have to readjust the camera or the USB cord.
Perhaps one with a magnetic mount, like the DDPAI M6+ that’s reviewed here: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/6/23/dashcam-review-ddpai-m6-is-the-best-mini-cam-ive-used.html
Any ideas?
Thank you.

Most dashcams can be configured to magnetic mounting, just glue the Nd magnets where needed.

Phil

I agree. A119 is very close. It is very easy to mount and dismount, has GPS, and doesn't loose alignment when remounted.
BUT, I worry about the durability of the plastic mount when overused.

the recently release Street Guardian SG9665XS and Mobius 1 comes to mind, although you will need to do some DIY with regards to the mount.

I agree. A119 is very close. It is very easy to mount and dismount, has GPS, and doesn't loose alignment when remounted.
BUT, I worry about the durability of the plastic mount when overused.
Maybe you can get one 3M VHB Tape for backup!

Maybe you can get one 3M VHB Tape for backup!
Concern is about the mount that may get bad after many mount/dismounts.
Tape is not an issue.

If Mobius fits the bill for your cam, it has the advantage of being able to buy new mounts very cheaply should they loosen. A little ingenuity can make that mount very secure yet easily replaceable. Yes, I'm a Mobius fan for this and many other reasons too :D

Phil

I have just purchased a dppai m6+ and, before installing (I am waiting for a memory card to arrive before finalising), I wondered how to install a moount for my second car. Rather than buying a second mount I am looking at using velcro - one side of the velcro glued to the windscren using glass sealant, and the other to a mount fitting that I can attach independently to the dppai mount. The point of this comment is that if it works then you can use it for any type of mounted dash cam and you can concentrate on buying the best dash cam on its other features. So far, playing at home, the ddpai magnetic feature is really convenient although turning the camera 90 degrees to catch views to the side of the car looks to not be practical.

These actions should take place with one hand in a couple of seconds, I don't want to have to readjust the camera or the USB cord.
I doubt that any dashcam exists that I could attach to it's mount & plug in it's cable, with one hand, in a couple of seconds.

I am sure that when in a hurry, I'd drive away without mounting the cam, & that's when the accident happens. Sods Law!

Repeated daily mounting & dismounting will cause premature wear to the mount & cable plug & plug socket. Not desirable.

The usual motivation for what you want is fear of dashcam theft when the car is parked unattended.

A different solution is to choose a tiny, discreet dashcam that won't be noticed by thieves, e.g. JooVuu X, Mobius, MG600 or SGZC12RC. Or a dashcam likely to be mistaken by a thief for an OEM sensor housing, e.g. A118, A119, etc.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
A different solution is to choose a tiny, discreet dashcam that won't be noticed by thieves, e.g. JooVuu X, Mobius, MG600 or SGZC12RC. Or a dashcam likely to be mistaken by a thief for an OEM sensor housings, e.g. A118, A119, etc.

Can you see my SGZC12RC? And that's not the most discreet place I could have mounted it.

-

I doubt that any dashcam exists that I could attach to it's mount & plug in it's cable, with one hand, in a couple of seconds.
Actually, the M6+ can do exactly that. I've done it, more than once.

Actually, the M6+ can do exactly that. I've done it, more than once.
I look forward to watching your video demonstration of this marvel of dexterity :)

Scratch what I said above. Having looked again at Techmoan's video review, I see that (crucially) the power cable plugs into the mount not the camera. With the magnetic mounting system, it does look feasible to mount the M6+ single handed in a couple of seconds.

Last edited:
There are many dashcams with power port in the mount so no need to even touch cable when taking camera out.

yeah the optimal will be cameras like the 0806 and its siblings, just yank camera off and no power or GPS antenna wire to worry about.

That being said those will properly also get loose in the mount with frequent use, but a drop of glue here and there now and then should tighten things back up.

Yes, the 0806 has that functionality, but would it withstand daily removal? I very rarely remove mine, and have recently found it has a bad connection between the mount and camera, causing several issues (it may even be the cause of my recent battery failure, I believe, as the power connection was intermittent.) I have reluctantly moved the USB plug directly into the camera. Sadly I can no longer point the camera slightly down, as the plug hits the screen. Hoping the exposure will be good enough to cope.

But, those issues aside, this kind of mount is great for easy removal. Just needs better contacts and more even weight distribution.

There is no way that mini 080x or any other cam in mini line can survive daily remounts. The plastic is just not rigid enough to survive it.

Back