Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Hi everyone,

I just released version 1.8.1 of Dashcam Viewer. This update allows you to color-code your vehicle's route line based on speed. Now you can see where the bottlenecks are in your commute. ;) You can set the color scale based on a fixed max speed, or key it to the fastest speed you drove during the journey.

mapview-side-by-side.jpg

Other additions include:
  • Map View: The Route and Markers settings are now preserved from run to run of Dashcam Viewer.
  • Reorganized the Preferences window to better handle the growing number of options.
  • Added support for RAC 02 dashcam

Thanks,
John

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dashcam-Viewer/636794673041076

hi john,

I updated the OS on my Mac to X 10.10 Yosemite and I downloaded a new viewer, is there a way to bring over the serial number from my last OS? this is all on the same laptop, just upgraded the OS, but runs in trail version, in passing I've now got myself a mini 0805 and a mini 0806 so should come in handy, many thanks

mollydog, no problem. I will re-send you your license code. Just re-enter it in the Help->Registration dialog box.

Hi everyone,

Dashcam Viewer v1.8.2 is out for Mac and Windows. This is a maintenance release:

Bug Fixes:
  • Dashboard: Fixed bug in which the compass car icon appear to do random 360's when travelling south

• Fixed bug in bearing direction for Panorama S and Street Guardian SGZC12SG

• Falcon Zero F170: To workaround a bug in the F170 firmware speed computation, DCV now ignores the embedded speed values and instead computes speed based on sequential lat/lon points. This produces more accurate speed reading than the embedded speed. However, there is currently a firmware glitch in which the video overlay speed lags the actual vehicle motion by about 2-3 seconds. The manufacturer has been notified.
Thanks,
John

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dashcam-Viewer/636794673041076

I just installed dashcam viewer v_1.8.3 but I can't open it. When I click on the pictogram on my desktop, I get the message that it can't find the path or I'm not allowed to open it. Tried it with administrator thing and it still won't open.

* win7 (x64)

I just installed dashcam viewer v_1.8.3 but I can't open it. When I click on the pictogram on my desktop, I get the message that it can't find the path or I'm not allowed to open it. Tried it with administrator thing and it still won't open.

* win7 (x64)
Dashcam Viewer is delivered as setup.exe compressed into a zip file. If you download the zip from the website, Windows will try to be helpful and show you the zip contents (setup.exe) in a window after download. If you try running the setup.exe at that point you will get errors since it hasn't been unzipped yet. You need to first extract the setup.exe from the zip file and then run it.

Also, because I'm not a "certified" Windows developer, Windows will issue a warning about running the setup.exe. Just click on the More Info button to override the warning and the install will proceed.

Thanks for aswering so quickly.

I downloaded the zip file, extracted the zip file and executed the setup.exe, as I always do when I use a zip File (I know how to work with winrar). The program installed perfectly but when I click on the shortcut (pictogram) on my desktop, I get the message that dashcam viewer can't accessed. I run dashcam viewer as administrator, so that can't be the problem.

C:\Program Files(x86)\Dashcam Viewer\Dashcam Viewer.exe (uninstall.exe)

I get the same message when I want to use the uninstall.exe.

Last edited:
That's strange. I just tried it again and it installed/ran with no issues. Are you sure your machine is not locked-down somehow? Here's an idea: try version 1.8.2 and see if you have the same issue.

1.8.2 was the first one that I tried and after that I tried 1.8.3. Both have the same problem.

Changed Program files to Program Files(x86) in my previous post.

I'm scratching my head on this one. I've had a number of Windows and Mac downloads of both 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 and I haven't gotten any other complaints like this. Are you sure your system isn't running in a lock-down mode (non-admin)? Please PM me further discussion. Thanks!

Update on the problem that I had. I contacted John by PM and after that we corresponded via mail. He tried to solve the problem and guess what, .... he did solve it!

It was my anti virus which made it impossible to start daschcam viewer. All is sorted and well now.

Great service of John!

Hi everyone,

I just released version 1.8.1 of Dashcam Viewer.
Your Dashcam Viewer works well with my new DR650 1CH.. but as it has WiFi I am looking for a viewer that will connect via WiFi to both view and manipulate (copy/save) files thus saving the hassle of removing my micro memory chip (the old fashion "sneaker net":)). In your preferences there is a "Network Proxy" box.. Is it possible to use this to connect to my DR650? If so.. any instructions? Nothing I have tried seems to work, but I know very little .. (read nothing) about network / WiFi connecting.. For what it is worth I can establish a connection to my DR650 but that is as far as I can go.. Windows 7 Pro

Ralph2, perhaps you can coax the DR650 to appear as a "disk" on the Windows/Mac desktop via WiFi. Then you could copy the files to your hard drive.

The Network Proxy settings allow Dashcam Viewer to access Google/Bing maps from behind a proxy server. Unfortunately, it doesn't have anything to do with connecting to your DR650 via Wifi.

Ralph2, perhaps you can coax the DR650 to appear as a "disk" on the Windows/Mac desktop via WiFi. Then you could copy the files to your hard drive.
Thank you for clarifying (and dashing my hopes) about the purpose of the network proxy thing. Coaxing may be possible.. but not with my skill level. :(
Perhaps... a feature to consider for your viewer.... :):):) Surely anyone with a WiFi DVR would be interested

I've encountered what appears to be a somewhat obscure bug in Dashcam Viewer 1.8.3. I say obscure because it requires a two monitor set-up for it to occur.

I have an iMac running two monitors. The second monitor is an older 22 inch Cinema Display. While testing out Dashcam Viewer v1.8.3 to view files from an SG9665GC I dragged the map window, graph window and data window to the second monitor as I always do and the upside-down tear-shaped location pin icon on the map or map/satellite image suddenly stops moving. The Google map continues to move and update dynamically as it follows the path of the car's GPS coordinates and direction but the location pin icon jumps to a random spot along the vehicle's route and stops dead in its tracks and sometimes even just disappears completely. If I drag the map window back to the main monitor, everything instantly works properly again but as soon as I drag the map window back to the second monitor, the tear-shaped location marker stops in place or disappears. Further testing revealed that this only happens with Google maps. The Bing GPS mapping functions work fine on both monitors.

Last edited:
Any chance you might consider support for the Thinkware F750 2CH? I much prefer your software to the one bundled with the device.

Graham

I've encountered what appears to be a somewhat obscure bug in Dashcam Viewer 1.8.3. I say obscure because it requires a two monitor set-up for it to occur.

I have an iMac running two monitors. The second monitor is an older 22 inch Cinema Display. While testing out Dashcam Viewer v1.8.3 to view files from an SG9665GC I dragged the map window, graph window and data window to the second monitor as I always do and the upside-down tear-shaped location pin icon on the map or map/satellite image suddenly stops moving. The Google map continues to move and update dynamically as it follows the path of the car's GPS coordinates and direction but the location pin icon jumps to a random spot along the vehicle's route and stops dead in its tracks and sometimes even just disappears completely. If I drag the map window back to the main monitor, everything instantly works properly again but as soon as I drag the map window back to the second monitor, the tear-shaped location marker stops in place or disappears. Further testing revealed that this only happens with Google maps. The Bing GPS mapping functions work fine on both monitors.

Noted. My first thought is that there is a javascript processing bug but the fact that Bing maps works makes me think otherwise. I don't have dual monitors so it's difficult for me to test. Perhaps a future version of the 3rd-party GUI library I use will fix the underlying problem. In the mean time please stick with Bing for dual-monitor situations.

Any chance you might consider support for the Thinkware F750 2CH? I much prefer your software to the one bundled with the device.

Graham
I don't have experience with that dashcam model, Graham, but if you send me sample files I can take a look. Please see the second bullet in the FAQ for how to send me files.

Back