Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Hi everyone,

I just released Dashcam Viewer v1.8.4 for Mac and Windows. Changes include:

New Features:
  • Added support for Koonlung K1S dashcam. This is a 2-channel camera (front and rear). Both channels are displayed simultaneously (picture-in-picture) on the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer. If a CAM1 movie is loaded, DCV will attempt to find the corresponding CAM2 movie. The Windows version will display CAM1 only at this time. Special thanks to K1S users Richard J. and Jeff L. for their help.
  • The Player window position is now saved from run to run on the Windows version (it was already saved in the Mac version)
  • Improved speed of dashcam model auto-detection in some cases.
  • Verified compatibility with the HP F310 car camera (Mac version)
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug that made Dashcam Viewer act strange if the Player finished the last movie in the series and the user tried to scrub to an earlier part of the series.
Thanks,
John

dcv_1.8.4.jpg

DCV 1.8.4 playing Koonlung K1S dual-channel movies

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Might it be feasible for you to add the ability to adjust contrast and brightness in the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer as you provide in the Windows version? Contrast and brightness controls are a vital tool for enhancing the ability to see important details like license plates in certain videos.

Might it be feasible for you to add the ability to adjust contrast and brightness in the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer as you provide in the Windows version? Contrast and brightness controls are a vital tool for enhancing the ability to see important details like license plates in certain videos.

Good question, dashmellow. It turns out that brightness&contrast are not easily accessible in the version of the video library I use on the Mac build. The library I use on the Windows version is newer. Eventually, I am going to switch to the newer library on the Mac version and this will bring with it B&C controls.

Good question, dashmellow. It turns out that brightness&contrast are not easily accessible in the version of the video library I use on the Mac build. The library I use on the Windows version is newer. Eventually, I am going to switch to the newer library on the Mac version and this will bring with it B&C controls.

Good to hear, thanks. Gamma adjustment would be killer! :)

As an avid Mac user, I can't say enough about John (aka traveler) and Dashcam Viewer for Mac. Great, well designed software and a developer who is committed to his product. A definite two thumbs up in my humble opinion and well worth the $15. :)

John, is there anyway to have Dashcam Viewer automatically start the next movie in sequence after it's finished playing the last?

[Update]
Actually, never mind. I just saw the arrow buttons, which work great for moving forward an backward. I just have to remember to select the movie folder to make that work, not an individual file.

I don't have experience with that dashcam model, Graham, but if you send me sample files I can take a look. Please see the second bullet in the FAQ for how to send me files.
Perfect Thanks John. I'm just sending you a zip file right now. Do let me know if you are able to support this cam.
Kind regards,

Graham

Am I right in thinking that, if there's no valid GPS data at the start of a file, the software will never pick it up when the camera starts recording it?

I loaded a sequence of files today, starting in my garage, and there was no GPS lock, so there was no data in the file. The software never showed any GPS data for the whole sequence, even though it would show it if I loaded the second file by itself. Presumably the camera started recording it part-way through the first file.

Interesting, not aware of that. Sounds like a DCV bug that can be improved. (He has a SG9665GC by the way). New August firmware coming soon may possibly correct this as well. (Not sure though)

Am I right in thinking that, if there's no valid GPS data at the start of a file, the software will never pick it up when the camera starts recording it?
Yeah, that's the way it works currently. If the first file doesn't have GPS, then the GPS widgets are not shown for the rest of the files. I could (and should) fix this. The workaround is to not include the non-GPS files when loading your file list.

Hi folks,

I just released Dashcam Viewer v1.8.5 for Mac and Windows. Changes include:

New Features:
  • Added support for LUKAS LK-7200 car DVR
  • [Windows] Updated GUI library for improved Windows 10 compatibility
Note:
- Other LUKAS dashcams *might* work as well, I just haven't had movie files to test them.

Thanks,
John
If.. your viewer was capable of connecting to my WiFi enabled BlackVue (that does connect to my laptop) and allow viewing / saving without removing that SD card.. I would purchase in a heart beat.. and I bet a lot of others would as well.

Ralph2, unfortunately the high data rates required for reliable buffering and playing of large dashcam files would probably bring WiFi to its knees. Best to connect via USB2 or, even better, remove the card.

Ralph2, unfortunately the high data rates required for reliable buffering and playing of large dashcam files would probably bring WiFi to its knees. Best to connect via USB2 or, even better, remove the card.
Well.. at least give me the option to watch buffered video. Although it (WiFi) seems to work well enough to allow me to watch movies on my laptop. Removing that card.. is a pain, and eventually will lead to failure of the mechanism.
What is this USB2 method you speak of.. am I missing a method?

What is this USB2 method you speak of.. am I missing a method?
I just meant that you can connect a dashcam to the computer directly using USB cable and it mounts on the desktop as a storage device.

I just meant that you can connect a dashcam to the computer directly using USB cable and it mounts on the desktop as a storage device.
The BlackVue does not have a USB plug.. it is remove the card or use the limited WiFi. Given the limited usability of the WiFi a USB plug would have been a useful addition.

I've not visited this thread for a while. Is PiP supported on Windows yet?

Hi dashcamers,

I just released Dashcam Viewer v1.8.6 for Mac and Windows. Changes include:

New Features:
  • Added new “Jump To” feature to quickly go to the fastest portion of the route or to a specific movie file. Thanks to John K. for the suggestion.
  • jumpto.jpg
  • Added compatibility with HP F520G Dashcam
  • Added compatibility with latest DJI Phantom 3 SRT file format. Phantom 3 altitude is now displayed in graph and in Dashboard view.
  • Improvements to CSV export
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug in zooming and translation of videos within movie window frame.

Thanks,
John

Nice work John. Thanks for letting us know. :)

For anyone using a Mac, I HIGHLY recommend this product. John has done a really nice job with this app, both functionally and aesthetically, and he spends countless hours making sure it's the best Mac dash cam viewer on the market. Plus, he answers any questions promptly and is an active participant on this forum. Definitely worth the $15, in my humble opinion.

Thanks, @RavenManiac! Appreciate the endorsement.

@alexsoll : Yes, this version of Dashcam Viewer is compatible with the StreetGuardian SG9665GC. Two members here provided me with samples from that dashcam model to work with. So if it doesn't work for you let me know.

Back