Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Thanks John. That's about what I understood/expected.

The problem is that it's not showing the channel B cam. Ever.

Regardless if I drop just an A and B pair on the viewer window or open the entire folder (weeks of all three channels) with DCV. It only ever throws the error above. I can only watch A channels as long as I only drop A channel files on the viewer window.
It seems like DCV is not processing the B channel correctly. Can you please tell me the exact filenames of an A/B pair of videos that is giving you trouble? That way I can attempt to duplicate the problem over here. Thanks!

Hi,

I would like to archive a vacation trip.
Recorded by a BlackVue DR900X-2Ch Plus.
The BlackVue creates clips of 1 minute length.
The vacation trip contains 284 files. The export with PIP has therefore only 1 minute length.
Merging creates a 50GB file for the front camera only.
Unfortunately DCV Pro (Mac) always crashes when importing the 50GB file.
I am using a Mac mini 2018 I5 with 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD internally and an external Samsung T7 2TB.
How do I get a complete video of the vacation trip with PiP in one file?

Frank
Unfortunately merging with PiP is currently not supported. That's something that's on my ToDo list.

As for the DCV crash when loading the 50GB video, I'm not sure what's causing it but it could be running out of memory. Perhaps you could try merging half of the videos and see if that works.

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.2 Released​

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.2 was released today for both Mac and Windows. Below is a list of improvements and bug fixes. Version 3.9.2 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Transcend DrivePro 250
  • Added support for BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro
  • Added support for ROVE R3
  • Reported compatible with MiVue J60, MiVue J85
  • Reported compatible with BOBLOV F2
  • Reported compatible with Porsche Dashcam
New Features:
  • The trips listed in the Control Center Trip List now include the total trip distance
Bug Fixes:
  • Improved stability when loading many videos at once.
  • A video corruption check is now performed when loading a set of videos. If Dashcam Viewer cannot determine the duration of a video, instructions are provided to remedy the situation. A corrupt video will appear as a video with a duration of 00m-1s in the video list.
dcv_3.9.2.jpg

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

4th of July Special

Hi Everyone. To celebrated Independence Day we're offering 40% off Dashcam Viewer Plus, Dashcam Viewer Pro and Plus-to-Pro upgrades. Enter Coupon code DCV4JULY in your cart. The deal ends when the fireworks are over. ;)

John

4th of July Special

Hi Everyone. To celebrated Independence Day we're offering 40% off Dashcam Viewer Plus, Dashcam Viewer Pro and Plus-to-Pro upgrades. Enter Coupon code DCV4JULY in your cart. The deal ends when the fireworks are over. ;)

John
Any way to get on this deal late???

It seems like DCV is not processing the B channel correctly. Can you please tell me the exact filenames of an A/B pair of videos that is giving you trouble? That way I can attempt to duplicate the problem over here. Thanks!
Hey John, sorry late reply. I didn't see any notice from the forum.

wrt to filenames they are as YYYY_MM_DD_hh_mm_ss_[A|B|C].MP4.

Here is a screenshot of part of the dir listing I just tried and failed (and a screencap of accomp. error). I also tried after upgd to 3.92 and same behavior.

I could arrange to provide you an A/B/C set if needed.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-15 172957.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 172957.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 172857.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 172857.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
Installed a new camera today and taking a look at your software. It seems like it could be useful though with trial limitation it is truly difficult to test all the features. That said, if this issue can be sorted I'll likely bite anyway. I have found what seems to be bug with full screen mode. Once I toggle into and out of full screen the program becomes non interactive and requires task manager to kill it. This is a problem for me. It is reproducible with or without a video being loaded. FWIW I am running this on Windows 11 with latest available GA updates. Is this something you've seen and there is a possible workaround?

...I have found what seems to be bug with full screen mode. Once I toggle into and out of full screen the program becomes non interactive and requires task manager to kill it...
I can confirm this problem. Was able to replicate with the paid version 3.9.2 running under Win 11 Home.

Installed a new camera today and taking a look at your software. It seems like it could be useful though with trial limitation it is truly difficult to test all the features. That said, if this issue can be sorted I'll likely bite anyway. I have found what seems to be bug with full screen mode. Once I toggle into and out of full screen the program becomes non interactive and requires task manager to kill it. This is a problem for me. It is reproducible with or without a video being loaded. FWIW I am running this on Windows 11 with latest available GA updates. Is this something you've seen and there is a possible workaround?
Can confirm similar behavior on Win 10 with 3.9.2

I've confirmed it too. The main window becomes unresponsive when coming back from fullscreen mode. Thanks for reporting the issue. I'm on it...

Hey John, sorry late reply. I didn't see any notice from the forum.

wrt to filenames they are as YYYY_MM_DD_hh_mm_ss_[A|B|C].MP4.

Here is a screenshot of part of the dir listing I just tried and failed (and a screencap of accomp. error). I also tried after upgd to 3.92 and same behavior.

I could arrange to provide you an A/B/C set if needed.
Thanks.
@traveler
just a bump to ensure this isn't missed.

Thx.

@traveler
just a bump to ensure this isn't missed.

Thx.
Thanks for the reminder, @JAz909. I'll add this to my ToDo list to investigate. Keep in mind that since DCV is a 2-channel player, one of the channels will be ignored to preserve continuity when moving forward and back between videos.

Thanks for the reminder, @JAz909. I'll add this to my ToDo list to investigate.
Thank you.
Keep in mind that since DCV is a 2-channel player, one of the channels will be ignored to preserve continuity when moving forward and back between videos.
Is that because I'm on the free version? I was under the impression that if I buy the paid version will support all 3 cams.

edit-
I just scoured the website and it looks like my impression that 3 cams are supported might be baseless. Fair enough, it's my mistake. I do need the ability to choose which 2 of my 3 are shown though. A is the front cam, B is the interior and C is the rear. I'd really want the ability to choose the A and C primarily switching to A and B or B and C occasionally. Hope that is supported.
thx.

Last edited:
@traveler
I'm testing a Vantrue N5 and noticed Dashcam Viewer doesn't recognise the gps info.

Will you be adding this? Ironically your Web landing page has a Vantrue on it.

It is a 4x camera Dashcam.
Thanks.

@traveler
I'm testing a Vantrue N5 and noticed Dashcam Viewer doesn't recognise the gps info.

Will you be adding this? Ironically your Web landing page has a Vantrue on it.

It is a 4x camera Dashcam.
Thanks.
The N5 video files (and maybe other Vantrue dash camera models) don't have the GPS info written into the video files. There is a GPS directory on the microSD card and within that directory is a YYYYMMDD.dat file with a text line written to it every second with the current GPS location info. Dashcam Viewer would need to be enhanced to locate/process the GPS ".dat" file to bring in the GPS location info.

1689923772115.png

The video files have only two tracks in them Track/Stream 0 is the video and Track/Stream 1 is the audio.

1689924008058.png

When I try to play N5 video files in Dashcam Viewer Plus 3.9.2, it sees the front video (A) files and rear video (D) files as part of the same single channel video file set. The front interior (B) and rear interior (C) files are not detected or played.

Update:
  • Fixed the Fullscreen toggle bug [Windows version only]. The fix will be in the next release. Thanks for reporting it!
  • I don't have Vantrue N5 samples, but if the N5 is storing all its GPS data in an ancillary file, this is a paradigm shift away from the N1 Pro, N2, N2 Pro, X1, and X4 which all embed their GPS data inside the video file and are supported by Dashcam Viewer.
  • Dashcam Viewer is designed to work with dashcams that store their GPS data per video file, whether the data is embedded in the video or is in an ancillary file. This covers about 99.5% of the dashcam models out there. Thus there is always a 1-to-1 relation between video file and data for that video. If the N5 is combining data from multiple videos into a single ancillary file YYYMMDD.dat, then there is no longer a 1-to-1 relation between video file and data. Therefore, camera-specific coding would be required to support this model.
  • Since the vast majority of dashcams use the 1-to-1 model, I'm not yet convinced that the N5 doesn't have GPS data squirreled away in the bowels of the video file (like the other Vantrue models). @rcg530 has shown that the data is not in a track/stream but it may be elsewhere. If I could get my hands on a series of raw N5 videos I could examine them with a hex editor and find out.
  • I'm currently working on other camera supports and minor bug fixes. With limited bandwidth I apologize for not responding quicker.
John

• Since the vast majority of dashcams use the 1-to-1 model, I'm not yet convinced that the N5 doesn't have GPS data squirreled away in the bowels of the video file (like the other Vantrue models). @rcg530 has shown that the data is not in a track/stream but it may be elsewhere. If I could get my hands on a series of raw N5 videos I could examine them with a hex editor and find out.
I just completed a drive with a production Vantrue N5 4-channel, BlackVue DR970X-2CH, Thinkware U3000 2CH and a VIOFO A119 Mini 2 in my car. I'll collect some Vantrue N5 video file samples and the GPS ".dat" file and I'll send you a DM with the info to access them in a Google Drive folder.

I just found your hit & run video.
We have license plates so the registered owner can be tracked down for financial / criminal responsibility.
California Plate #39514N1 2002 FORD F-150 KING RANCH
It's due for another inspection in the coming months.
If it gets another inspection the inspection history will be updated.
That means the truck is still out there on the road.

According to your update;
The license plate and this video were given to the CHP.
I was told by an officer that the CHP made a visit to the registered owner's residence, but he was no longer at that address and there was no forwarding address provided.
Sadly there was no more action taken.

What a complete failure of our “system”?
Wouldn't it be nice if Law Enforcement could attach hit & run status to the registered owner’s drivers license so the next time he’s pulled over he can possibly be arrested for hit & run?
Wouldn't it be nice if DMV could invalidate his registration, so the next year he won’t be able to register his truck.
You did everything right as an innocent motorist, and you still got shafted by our “system”.
-Chuck

Screenshot 2023-07-21 4.22.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 4.20.31 PM.png

I just found your hit & run video.
We have license plates so the registered owner can be tracked down for financial / criminal responsibility.
California Plate #39514N1 2002 FORD F-150 KING RANCH
It's due for another inspection in the coming months.
If it gets another inspection the inspection history will be updated.
That means the truck is still out there on the road.

According to your update;
The license plate and this video were given to the CHP.
I was told by an officer that the CHP made a visit to the registered owner's residence, but he was no longer at that address and there was no forwarding address provided.
Sadly there was no more action taken.

What a complete failure of our “system”?
Wouldn't it be nice if Law Enforcement could attach hit & run status to the registered owner’s drivers license so the next time he’s pulled over he can possibly be arrested for hit & run?
Wouldn't it be nice if DMV could invalidate his registration, so the next year he won’t be able to register his truck.
You did everything right as an innocent motorist, and you still got shafted by our “system”.
-Chuck

@Panzer Platform Ah, yes, 2019. That video brings back (not so great) memories.:confused: Despite reporting the license plate to both my insurance company and the highway patrol, ultimately nothing was done. Fortunately my insurance covered the costs but my MX-5 was out of commission for quite a while. Luckily no one hurt. Thanks for the Carfax info. Would love to have a nice "chat" with the owner.;)

I like your suggestion of 'tagging' a vehicle registration if it was involved in a hit-and-run. The problem is that without clear dashcam proof, there's no way to prove that the registered owner was behind the wheel at the time of the accident. Need to catch these guys red-handed right after the crime. Sadly unless there's serious bodily injury, the 'system' has better things to do.

I just completed a drive with a production Vantrue N5 4-channel, BlackVue DR970X-2CH, Thinkware U3000 2CH and a VIOFO A119 Mini 2 in my car. I'll collect some Vantrue N5 video file samples and the GPS ".dat" file and I'll send you a DM with the info to access them in a Google Drive folder.
Thanks for the samples, @rcg530

Back