Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

A repeat request from your last version of your viewer ANY... chance this will ever be able to connect to WiFi enabled dash cams (as in BlackVue)? If.. you ever get that feature established you will get at least one (and I am betting many) paid subscriber (s)

Ralph, sorry, no plans to do anything with WiFi in the near future.

Ralph, sorry, no plans to do anything with WiFi in the near future.
Too bad.. but your viewer can not even find the BlackVue DR650 files on my computer so it has a ways to go..

Too bad.. but your viewer can not even find the BlackVue DR650 files on my computer so it has a ways to go..

When you copied the files to your computer are you sure you copied the .3gf and .gps files along with the MP4 files? Dashcam Viewer assumes the same file hierarchy as what's written to the dashcam's microSD card. So if you didn't copy all the files in the directory, then DCV won't find the GPS/G-force data.

When you copied the files to your computer are you sure you copied the .3gf and .gps files along with the MP4 files? Dashcam Viewer assumes the same file hierarchy as what's written to the dashcam's microSD card. So if you didn't copy all the files in the directory, then DCV won't find the GPS/G-force data.
I didn't copy anything.. just tried to view the files on the SD card by going to the Blackvue/record folder.. NADA shows up. I was in a hurry so perhaps screwed up, will try it again.. and report back

I didn't copy anything.. just tried to view the files on the SD card by going to the Blackvue/record folder.. NADA shows up. I was in a hurry so perhaps screwed up, will try it again.. and report back
My error, when navigating to the folder.. I expected to see files in that folder.. Not so.. you need to select the folder and then jump through some hoops to see the actual files. Once you do that the program works well. Now.. if we had the WiFi feature.. which is not going to happen any time soon.. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

What does this offer over the free BlackVue and Registrator software?

What does this offer over the free BlackVue and Registrator software?
One interesting (?) thing was more detail on your GPS connection..as in how many satellites your dashcam is in contact with. This viewer breaks up into separate windows all the major features which gives a bit more control on sizing / viewing. The video is much better than the BlackVue.
If it had working WiFi this would be a good viewer and worth the $$ as is... it is an interesting viewer.

One interesting (?) thing was more detail on your GPS connection..as in how many satellites your dashcam is in contact with. This viewer breaks up into separate windows all the major features which gives a bit more control on sizing / viewing. The video is much better than the BlackVue.
If it had working WiFi this would be a good viewer and worth the $$ as is... it is an interesting viewer.

Thanks for the summary, Ralph. I'm not familiar with the features of the BlackVue or RegiatratorViewer players so I'll just list the major Dashcam Viewer features here:

• Resizable main viewing screen
• Zoomable and translatable movie view
• Heads-up display of current date, time, speed, distance, position, and bearing
• Heads-up display of altitude, HDOP, and Satellites-in-View (BlackVue cameras)
• Picture-in-picture front and rear camera displays for BlackVue DR550GW-2CH, PowerUcc Panorama X2, and Koonlung K1S (Mac version only. See FAQ.)
• “Real time” display of vehicle’s location, speed, and route on a Bing/Google Map
• Map pans automatically to keep vehicle centered, or you can keep map fixed
• Click on vehicle’s map route to jump to that position in movie (Mac version)
• Graphical displays of speed, distance, bearing, altitude, HDOP, Satellites-in-View, and X, Y, Z shock sensor data
• Auto-scaling of graph data
• Compass display of vehicle’s direction
• Weather display widget for retrieving weather conditions at the location and date of the currently-playing movie
• Automatic transition between sequential movie files
• Variable playback speed control
• Jump to fastest part of route, or to any loaded movie file instantly
• Slider controls for direct access to any movie file or any position in a movie file
• Navigation buttons to jump ahead or back by one or ten movie files
• Display of current movie file name and file size
• Drag and drop loading of movie directories
• Export movie segments of user-selectable duration
• GPS data export to CSV and GPX file formats
• Export current movie window to PNG file
• Support for per-movie display settings and graph units
• Click to reveal currently-playing movie in Finder
• Support for km/h or mph units
• Support for 12/24 hour time display
• Support for timezone biasing to sync movies and data
• Keyboard and mouse shortcuts
• Controls for movie brightness and contrast (Windows version only)
• Support for internet connection via proxy server​

Just released version 1.9.1 of Dashcam Viewer to address a few minor bugs in previous versions.

Bug Fixes:
  • [Mac] Fixed bug in Macs with Retina displays where the PNG capture feature would only capture ¼ of the movie window.
  • Fixed progress bar scaling when loading RAC dashcam GPS data.
  • [Windows] Improved performance on dual-channel dashcams. Note that dual-channel support on Windows machines is still a work in progress.
  • Bing maps – Fixed minor issue with marker not being displayed initially when the user switches to Bing maps from Google Maps.
Regards,
- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Is there any reason why it doesn't have some kind of a file list to browse through like every dashcam player? I just want to be able to double-click on a file on a playlist to play.

Is there any reason why it doesn't have some kind of a file list to browse through like every dashcam player? I just want to be able to double-click on a file on a playlist to play.
It "kinda" has..

Attachments

• Dashcam.PNG
    Dashcam.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 23

After you load one or more movies into Dashcam Viewer, you can quickly select among them using the Jump To feature (at the bottom-right of the main window). The first item in the Jump To list will take you to the fastest point of your drive. The subsequent items take you to the start points of the various movies.
jumpto.jpg

To load movies you can simply drag them from the desktop to Dashcam Viewer's main window, or like @Ralph2 suggested, use the toolbar button or File menu options.

- John

Just released version 1.9.2 of Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows (32-bit, 64-bit). This version is a minor update to improve the GUI and addresses a few minor bugs.

New Features:
  • Player window now has black background for improved readability of date/time/speed (see image below)
  • When creating a PNG image, a message will appear saying the image is stored on the Desktop.
Bug Fixes:
  • [Mac OS X 10.10] Fixed bug that prevented loading of movie files when users dragged movies from the Finder into Dashcam Viewer's player window.
Regards,
- John

dcv_v1.9.2.jpg

Yesterday in the Datakam Player thread, the question arose about how to install software from an "unidentified developer" in Mac OSX from someone who is relatively new to the platform so I posted an explanation about Gatekeeper on the Mac OS and some instructions on how to do this. It was suggested that I repost those instructions here in the event anyone else might find this information useful, so here it is.

The "Gatekeeper" feature in OSX is one of those things that make Macs inherently secure by forcing the user to actively participate in the decision to allow installation of software from unknown developers that might turn out to be malware but could also simply be a legitimate program such as DashCam Viewer.

Go to the "Apple" symbol on the upper left corner of the screen and click on it to activate the drop down menu. Then select "System Preferences".

prefs4-png.20142

prefs5-png.20143

You'll get this window. Click on "Security and Privacy".

prefs-jpg.20139

After the "Security & Privacy window comes up select Mac App Store and "identified developers".
You could select "Anywhere" but for general security it's not a good practice. Better to manually allow or disallow each install.

prefs6-jpg.20145

Now when you try to install software from an unknown developer it will ask you first. You'll get the following window.
Click "Open" and then go through the usual authentication procedure.

dashtalker-jpg.20196

There are a few shortcuts for how to do this but this is the basic method and this is a better way to explain how Gatekeeper functions.

Last edited:
The best method and far simpler (it retains full Gate Keeper control) and it allows you to do it on a case by case basis.

Press Ctrl and Click (or right click/two finger tap) the cursor on the app.

On the menu that appears select 'open'

You will then be presented with the same box in the last picture above.

This requires no alteration to any security settings. :)

The best method and far simpler (it retains full Gate Keeper control) and it allows you to do it on a case by case basis.

Press Ctrl and Click (or right click/two finger tap) the cursor on the app.

On the menu that appears select 'open'

You will then be presented with the same box in the last picture above.

This requires no alteration to any security settings. :)

Yes, that would be the short cut I referred to above, but wanted people to have a better understanding of the process.

Dashcam Viewer v1.9.3 Released for Mac and Windows

We just released version 1.9.3 of Dashcam Viewer for Mac OS X and Windows (64-bit and 32-bit).

New Features:
  • Added ability to export tracks as Google Earth KML files. The tracks are time tagged so you can scroll through your route using Google Earth’s time.
dcv-kml.jpg

Exported track shown in Google Earth
Bug Fix:
  • Movie will now pause when user clicks Export Movie button.
Best,
- John

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

FYI to anyone looking, registratorviewer plays video (at high resolution) from the mini 0806, shows the logs and automatically recognizes the flash drive... and it's free... HOWEVER. has anyone noticed the website for it now shows expired? i have it downloaded but not sure if I'm running the latest version or not. I mean it works, its just not as clean as it could be

http://www.registratorviewer.com/

Last edited:
FYI to anyone looking, registratorviewer plays video (at high resolution) from the mini 0806, shows the logs and automatically recognizes the flash drive... and it's free... HOWEVER. has anyone noticed the website for it now shows expired? i have it downloaded but not sure if I'm running the latest version or not. I mean it works, its just not as clean as it could be

http://www.registratorviewer.com/
I believe the developer of Registrator viewer has passed away (I think he was involved in a crash on his motorbike), so maybe his domain license expired or something

I believe the developer of Registrator viewer has passed away (I think he was involved in a crash on his motorbike), so maybe his domain license expired or something
oh man how terrible! I didn't know. i just started getting involved with dashcams so i'm new to the player software.

Thanks for letting me know.

Back