Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

The free version is full-featured (except for WiFi ;)), but is limited to loading up to 5 movies at a time.
Are you saying that the "paid" version is full featured with WiFi.. Finally :):) purchase on the way..............!

hi, interested in getting this, one thing, I see you have support for thinkware f750 cameras which is great and from the demo appears to work fine, but I don't see support for PIP for the rear camera, I don't suppose there is any chance you can add that? the file names end in the suffix _F or _R for front and rear videos

The other question I had was around exporting video, will this allow for exporting front and rear footage with PIP?

@Dee_82 Currently only the Mac OS X version supports PIP of front/rear camera. Video export is of the front channel only.

@Dee_82 Currently only the Mac OS X version supports PIP of front/rear camera. Video export is of the front channel only.
Ah, ok, is that something that's on the drawing board? The pip viewer , not pip video export

Ah, ok, is that something that's on the drawing board? The pip viewer , not pip video export

It's on the drawing board for sure, but there are some technical hurdles I need to overcome so no timeframe as yet.

bit of feedback/suggestions, don't even know if these things are possible but anyway, have just registered for the full (Windows) version so can now load more than 5 files, loading a full card worth of files is very slow, would it be possible to maybe load the first few files ready for playback and load the rest in the background? Would be much more convenient if it could

The map has multiple overlays as there's no distinction between trips that are loaded, if it can't be automated into groups by the start/stop times (preferable) perhaps if the files were listed in a file view below the movie window we could manually group into trips via time date info if there were some way to do that?

bit of feedback/suggestions, don't even know if these things are possible but anyway, have just registered for the full (Windows) version so can now load more than 5 files, loading a full card worth of files is very slow, would it be possible to maybe load the first few files ready for playback and load the rest in the background? Would be much more convenient if it could

Thanks for the feedback, jokiin. The load speed is highly dependent on the way the dashcam stores the GPS data. For dashcams that store their GPS data in external files (MINI 080x, BlackVue DRxxx, HP Fxxx) load speed is almost instantaneous. For dashcams that embed their GPS data inside the movie file, load speed can vary from fast to slow. In the cases where I've had help from the manufacturer I've been able to reduce the load time significantly. But since most of my requests for technical assistance from the dashcam manufacturers result in silence, I have to use slower brute force techniques to coax the data out. Frustratingly, in some cases the data can be found but it is encoded in a proprietary way which I cannot decode without help from the manufacturer (DOD and NextBase I'm talking to you!). Loading files in the background is an intriguing idea, but would take quite a bit of development to implement. For now, the only suggestion I have is to use the Open Movie Files feature to cherry pick the individual movies you want to load rather than load the entire folder.

The map has multiple overlays as there's no distinction between trips that are loaded, if it can't be automated into groups by the start/stop times (preferable) perhaps if the files were listed in a file view below the movie window we could manually group into trips via time date info if there were some way to do that?

I like your idea of auto-grouping based on contiguous blocks of GPS data. Currently Dashcam Viewer pieces together the data in time order without looking for groupings. I'll add this to the job jar.

Thanks,
John

Not sure you need to group based on GPS data, this could also lead to issues where there is no data available. Wouldn't it be better to group based on continuous time stamps? if files are all X in length then this block must be one trip, the second trip starts 2 hours later

the thinkware f750 camera also groups together videos from the different types of recording, (Normal running) continuous and incident, (parking mode ) motion and incident and finally manual record. Not sure anyone else groups that in such a way and I realise work specific to one camera isn't going to be a high priority.

I'm on the verge of purchasing a licence because the thinkware viewer is utterly crap, but I just have two niggles which you might be able to ease my concern with

Firstly is the PIP, seeing the rear cam at the same time is useful, being able to flick back and forward to bring one or the other in to main view is even better
Secondly the time speed, I realise the PC version doesn't really work, speeding up and slowing down would also be extremely useful

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are deal breakers but if you could ease my concerns that they would just be ignored and ideally even give me your views on doing it id be happy enough with that

Dashcam Viewer v2.0.3 Released for Mac and Windows

Version 2.0.3 of Dashcam Viewer adds more dashcam compatibility and a minor new feature requested by a number of folks.

Dashcam Viewer is available for Mac OS X and Windows (64-bit and 32-bit). Download the free version from our website.

New Features:

• Upon start-up the Map view jumps to the last vehicle location, rather than 1 Infinite Loop (Apple headquarters).
  • Added support for Transcend DrivePro 520 dual-channel dashcam. Picture-in picture view is supported with the Mac OS X version of Dashcam Viewer.
Regards,
- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Dashcam Viewer v2.0.4 Released for Mac and Windows

Hi folks, we just released version 2.0.4 of Dashcam Viewer. This is a maintenance release to address a few issues that have cropped up.

Dashcam Viewer is available for Mac OS X 10.8+ and Windows (64-bit and 32-bit). Download the free version from our website.

Bug Fixes:
  • Implemented workaround for null times in the GPS data. This can happen if the dashcam did not achieve a GPS fix before the vehicle starting moving, or if the GPS signal was obstructed.
  • Fixed rare bug that could crash Dashcam Viewer if the Distance graph is chosen.
  • Custom builds: When user selects User Manual from the Help menu, they will no longer receive a 404 error if there is no matching version of the User Manual for their build version. Instead, the user will see the most recent Users Manual available.
  • Regular build: Fixed bug with importing of Zetronix dashcam GPS data.
Regards,
- John

just some feedback for you John, was using version 2.0 on the weekend and did a check for updates and nothing happened, no error, no update, no message at all, checked the website and found version 2.0.3 was there, not sure if a temporary problem or something more involved

Thanks for the feedback, Jokiin. Will check it out...

I just paid for the full version. How do you guys do these split screen videos? I would like to show at least 2, maybe 3 videos from different cameras synced to the same time.

I see this a lot in demos but have no idea how it is done.

Last edited:
I just paid for the full version. How do you guys do these split screen videos? I would like to show at least 2, maybe 3 videos from different cameras synced to the same time.

I see this a lot in demos but have no idea hope it is done.

My understanding is PiP only works with certain officially supported actual dual channel products.

That's not a bad idea to add support for two single channel videos though. (Dual Channel customers that use two single channel solutions)

My understanding is PiP only works with certain officially supported actual dual channel products.

Correct, Pier28. PiP only works with dual-channel cameras. These dashcams always keep the front/rear movies in sync which makes life simpler. Supporting two single channel cameras with PiP is a good idea but will require an extra sync setting and additional load options. Something to consider for the future.

@jokiin, I tested the Check For Updates on my PC and it seemed to work. I'll keep playing around with it.

Dashcam Viewer v2.0.5 Released for Mac and Windows

Hi folks, new version Dashcam Viewer released. This version adds a feature and fixes a minor bug.

New Feature:
  • Graph traces are now color-coded based on vehicle speed. The same speed scale is used for both the map and the graphs. Spices up the plots a bit. The speed scale can be adjusted in the Preferences. Here is an example:
dcv_2.0.5_speed.jpg

Bug Fix:
  • Fixed bug that could occur when playing movies with datestamps before 13 May 2014

Dashcam Viewer is available for Mac OS X 10.8+ and Windows (64-bit and 32-bit). Download the free version from our website.

Regards,
- John

Hi folks, new version Dashcam Viewer released.
just some feedback for you John, was using version 2.0 on the weekend and did a check for updates and nothing happened, no error, no update, no message at all, checked the website and found version 2.0.3 was there, not sure if a temporary problem or something more involved
I have 1.9.3 Full and tried to update through the app now that I see you post, and I had the same issue. Nothing seemed to happen.
Also I know I am missing something easy, and hate to ask such a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to cut and export clips.
Thanks

Back