dashcam with speed on screen

tonycody

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi, I am looking for a top quality dash cam with speed on screen, my car is a 67 gto its in MPH, but our roads are in klm's so if I could see the speed I am going at in klm's on the dash cam screen that would be perfect, are there any models that do this ? thanks

I think you will be better off with a navigation unit mounted on the dashboard as the speed information will be larger than in dashcams plus give over the speed limit warnings.

Lukas 9370, 9390 etc have speed display on the screen including most GPS dashcams but none will be big enough to just have in the view all the time.

67 Goat :eek::cool::)

My friend also used a cheapo garmin GPS as speedo in his Dodge ram charger fitted with non standard wheel size + to top it all off he never been able to fix the cars own MPH speedo.

Some of the DOD cameras also have speed on the display as a sort of pause screen while driving, but i am not sure those can cope with Australia when she really crank up the heat.

I would just use the GPS in my phone and then have a speedo app running on it, and then get a proper stealthy dashcam that IMO would look better in that Goat than a "huge" dashcam with 3" screen.

I do think its also possible to get speedos rebuild from MPH to KMH or just tweaked if you run another wheel size than what the car came with in the first place.

I doubt there is a OBD interface in a 67 Goat :D

I'm sure you typed GTO. The damn spellcheck!

67 goat. Lol, funny nonetheless..

Definitely no OBD.

Exactly, I would have suggested that display but 67 is before I was born so no way it has that hole to plug it in. ;)

Still the best way is to permanently mount a small gps just above the odometer. Most have good size fonts for speed.

67 goats would be around 6 horse?
That would be a very slow car.

Do these have a fuse box? :D

Edit: Nevermind..

fyPeQ17.jpg

Viofo A119 displays speed in green fonts but it's angled design makes it very hard to read it while driving.
I think papago dashcams, ausdom a261 also have contrasting color fonts for speed, check my review but still won't recommend for constant speed reading since you want it straight in front.

No need to apologize for not knowing about a small bit of American pop culture history. I'm sure most members of this forum (or at least myself) would be equally unknowledgeable of Indian history.

Only Indian car i can think off is the Hindustan Ambassador, and that's only thanks to a couple of appearances on Top Gear

I know a little about American cars as,,,, well i always wanted what i cant have, and the Pontiac GTO was almost a instant classic.
And not forgetting if you don't know a little about American cars, then you are not a true gear head.

Ill take a 66 ( my own year of birth ) any day with the full trim & ram air and what not, just so i could cruise in style and make some treehuggers cry like babies.

Last edited:
@tonycody
What about changing the gauge itself with new ones that has both mph and kph?
That'd be the best in the long run unless you don't want to replace the original part.

...and the Pontiac GTO was almost a instant classic.....
Absolutely. It was the right car at the right time in history. It was cheap and fast, gas was cheap and the baby boomers were just getting into the work force with money in their pockets - a formula for instant success.

A little nostalgia -

No need to apologize for not knowing about a small bit of American pop culture history. I'm sure most members of this forum (or at least myself) would be equally unknowledgeable of Indian history.

I did not apologise for not knowing, just for assuming rather than checking. Don't know how to articulate this better.

A low tech approach would be an elongated card with two numbered corresponding scales next to each other. A couple cellophane tape tabs could affix it to the dash while driving, putting it under the seat otherwise. Renew the tape as needed. Since you need KPH, make them in increments of 5, then list the corresponding MPH at whatever it is. After a while you'll become so used to the corresponding numbers you'll be able to do away with the card.

With a 389 4bbl under he hood, your correct speed should be about 125+ MPH :D

A little more nostalgia: John Z. DeLorean is reason why the GTO exists, he was President of Pontiac at the time and he had it built. GM policy prohibited it's big engines in a car that size back then, believe it or not that was an 'intermediate' size car! DeLorean had arranged that almost all the first GTO's shipped out to California had the big engines because of the hot-rodding there. They sold out as fast as they were made with orders stacking up to fill a years production within 2 months of it's introduction, something which had never been seen in the US auto industry before. He almost got fired over it but GM relented when he showed them how well it was selling and how much extra profit each car made for GM. From this he went on to lead Chevy, where the GM Board shoved the Vega through against his many protests. If you can find a copy, his ghost-written book "On a clear day, you can see General Motors" is a must-read for anyone into 60's US GM cars, and what you discover about corporate America will shock and astound you.

Phil

...If you can find a copy, his ghost-written book "On a clear day, you can see General Motors" is a must-read for anyone into 60's US GM cars, and what you discover about corporate America will shock and astound you.

Phil
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been intending to read that book for years now and never got around to it. Because of your comment I just ordered a 'very good' condition 1st edition from Amazon for $10. ThumbsUp.jpg

eLorean had arranged that almost all the first GTO's shipped out to California had the big engines because of the hot-rodding there.

Sadly the brawn and will to take a chance seem to disappear from the American auto industry, so they played it safe and kept with the big cars while the small cars slowly gained more and more of the marked.
Then came the time with a lot of little weird cars, and some of them even made it past the garage of Carroll Shelby to see if a little magic could rub off.

Meanwhile there was also a couple of success stories still with pretty large vehicles.

Beaten or not i still have the utmost respect for the history of the American auto industry. but that Ford guy ????? he was a sneaky SOB

Back