dashcam with speed on screen

More tidbits:

Lee Ioccoca was also involved with the design of the Ford Mustang or Thunderbird, I can't remember which. When I was a wee lad, GM was as good a "Blue Chip" stock as you could own with Ford not too far behind. Today they've risen above "junk" status but not by much, and if not for their international dealings both would be only memories.

With today's digital dashboards an instrument switch-over would be easy, but cars like that GTO are mechanically driven analog, and the speedometer change can only be done if that model was exported to a country that was metric, and then you've got to be lucky to find one of those still working and for sale at this late date and time. Swapping it out might also involve legalities since that also changes the true odometer reading of the original one when you reinstall it on the sale of the car. It might be possible if you wanted to try that but my choice would be to leave it as original as possible because that's where the value is.

Phil

ok will use my phone for speedo so I will forget that dash cam speedo idea.....wow I started something when mentioning my GTO, yep its a goat, but a special goat, its a 67 GTO HO, ho is special as its 360 hp, but even more special its a one off factory order, special paint , Matador red, matador red was not a Pontiac colour in 67 , the guy paid $83 to have it special painted at factory, the only documented 67 gto in matador red ever, 1 only, cool eh.....all matching numbers show condition, pics attached , so it needs a good camera to protect it from bad drivers or at least give me the evidence.....I just spotted the Lukas qvia t790 seems a pretty decent cam, might put 1 front and 1 rear.....was looking at blackvue but I think Lukas is a newer model so probably better...but open to suggestions, looking for discreet but quality.

Attachments

• 67 GTO HO.JPG
    67 GTO HO.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 12
  • P1030007 - Copy.JPG
    P1030007 - Copy.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 12
Wow! She's a beauty. Looks very well maintained.

ok will use my phone for speedo so I will forget that dash cam speedo idea.....wow I started something when mentioning my GTO, yep its a goat, but a special goat, its a 67 GTO HO, ho is special as its 360 hp, but even more special its a one off factory order, special paint , Matador red, matador red was not a Pontiac colour in 67 , the guy paid $83 to have it special painted at factory, the only documented 67 gto in matador red ever, 1 only, cool eh.....all matching numbers show condition, pics attached , so it needs a good camera to protect it from bad drivers or at least give me the evidence.....I just spotted the Lukas qvia t790 seems a pretty decent cam, might put 1 front and 1 rear.....was looking at blackvue but I think Lukas is a newer model so probably better...but open to suggestions, looking for discreet but quality.

very nice, have always liked this model, very jealous

For sure if i ever get into some lotto money, one of the first things i will do is go car shopping in the US, and with enough money i might even get a shop over there to make one of the cars i little special for me.

There is a few shops / builders over there i would not mind making a car for me.

That is one fine looking vehicle - I'm jealous....

That's a fine looking AMC.

I used to own newer Pontiac firebird and Camaros but classic rocks.

More tidbits:

Lee Ioccoca was also involved with the design of the Ford Mustang or Thunderbird, I can't remember which. When I was a wee lad, GM was as good a "Blue Chip" stock as you could own with Ford not too far behind. Today they've risen above "junk" status but not by much, and if not for their international dealings both would be only memories.

With today's digital dashboards an instrument switch-over would be easy, but cars like that GTO are mechanically driven analog, and the speedometer change can only be done if that model was exported to a country that was metric, and then you've got to be lucky to find one of those still working and for sale at this late date and time. Swapping it out might also involve legalities since that also changes the true odometer reading of the original one when you reinstall it on the sale of the car. It might be possible if you wanted to try that but my choice would be to leave it as original as possible because that's where the value is.

Phil
Lee Iacocca is generally regarded as the "father" of the Mustang. At any rate it made him famous when he introduced it in 1964

Anyone remember the AMX? Not your Gramdma's old Rambler, it could run with the big dogs :cool: Politician Mitt Romney's dad ran American Motors back then.

I once owned a 427 Ford (medium-rise head version, the best one). Probably 650-700HP bone stock in reality, but Ford never listed it that high so insurance companies would allow it. It was dropped into a 64 Ford F100 by my uncle who thought it was a 390 and I paid him $400 for it. No seat belts in that oldie, the only plastics were the dash knobs, armrests and the seat cover, the speedometer had a glass cover, the gas tank was right behind the seat, and the front axle was solid so you bounced around a lot. 6MPG driving easy and 6 GPM when wide open, you had to run 100+ octane gas. I had the fastest truck in town back then, and I put lots of muscle cars to shame with it. Hard times forced a sale after the transmission blew :( Lots of fun for a young'un, but at my age I'm not sure I'd try that again :p

Phil

I cant remember what engine it is, but the 1958 Apache stepside my friend got had a newer motor in it it just cooked those rear tires if you was just a little bit generous with the throttle.
It is a GM engine and not one of the overly big ones, but for the chevy it seemed more than enough.

The engine and gearbox mounts in that car is / was some of the most rubbish work i ever seen in a car, to put it simple it was some 20 mm steel cut to size and holes with a acetylene torch.
And then the dumb asses also cut large chunks out of the chassis cross member behind the gearbox to make room for the headers and exhaust.

And don't get me started on the quality of the "bodywork" on that chevy :rolleyes: jesus christ. the 75.000 DKkr he paied for that truck was too much for sure.

So the chevy have been sitting in a garage since the mid 90 ties in pieces, and it will remain so until some one yank it out and sell it for scrap iron.

My friend cant do anything about it, hes a pensioner now with 2 arms he can barely manage to carry on their own.
And im a pretty sad excuse for a human too, so i have no freaking idea what will happen when my friends old father die and the house have to be emptied and sold.

I cant lift much any more and what i could do in a couple of hours a few years ago i will now need a full day to do, and the following day to recube. :(

Anyone remember the AMX?...
Used to see a lot of them around SE Michigan given that was AMC's HQ back then. For those that didn't know it's capabilities it was a real 'sleeper'. ;)

This was probably the best looking car I ever had. Picture is not the one I owned but, except for the tires/wheels, is a spitting image of mine.

70ss.jpg

nice, a lot of cool cars late 50's to late 70's that I'd love to own, some I wouldn't have even looked at many years ago but I think you grow to appreciate the styling on some of them

I think you will be better off with a navigation unit mounted on the dashboard as the speed information will be larger than in dashcams plus give over the speed limit warnings...QUOTE]

ha! I used to this very thing just a few years ago! my daily beater at the time had a faulty fuel tank capacity sensor and the odometer was stuck, too. so whenever my garmin indicated that I had traveled ~220 miles, I would fill up and reset the trip meter on the GPS.

Back