Dont fancy my chances of repair !

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
take a look..

for some reason these two switches have been beaten to death (not by me i might add )

they work by pressing them but a bit has broken off leaving the plastic button sunk into its housing and unable to operate the micro switches...

i have 2 to replace them but as they are only 6mm long and each need soldering in 4 places well..

I don't fancy my chances...

do people do this sort of work ?

my only other option is to "pack" the plastic buttons to compensate for whats missing ...

open to suggestions ..

http://screencast.com/t/hqI62BCFgc

anyone ?

Sj4000 WiFi..

Cannibalised a sj4000 for swtiches

So the micro switches still work, there is just some plastic missing from the external buttons? How much extension do you need, 1 or 2 mm? Have you considered using thick double sided tape or even a CPU thermal pad to fill in the space? It might provide the extra material needed while cushioning the pieces to prevent further damage.

KuoH

they work by pressing them but a bit has broken off leaving the plastic button sunk into its housing and unable to operate the micro switches...
my only other option is to "pack" the plastic buttons to compensate for whats missing ...

I tried melting a bit of plastic on to them but it won't stick..tried plastic metal bond

But the switches no longer click but do make contact when a bit of pressure is applied.

That sounds more like the micro switches have failed. If that's the case, then replacement is typically the most reliable solution, as the old switches will likely continue to become less responsive.

KuoH

But the switches no longer click but do make contact when a bit of pressure is applied.

They look like they are surface mount rather than through-hole mounting, so it might be difficult to reach the back pins with a soldering iron if you can't dismantle it more.
Might be worth using a hot air blower to 'reflow' the solder. I think the blowers cost about 30 quid though, so may not be a cost effictive option.
I've been meaning to get one myself https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331330745304

mobile phone repairers generally have the required tools for this kind of work

good idea...

pretty obvious why it happened , the wifi button is a bit hit and miss awkward on the sj4000 and someone obviously got frustrated !

I also have x2 K1s that also need a bit of solder reflowing on the front camera socket on one and the rear socket on the other where strain has been put on them during fitting...

Must be frustrating to be a dashcam supplier and have returns like these and no option but to refund for WHO would want customers like these !!!!!

quite a lot of returns come back that there's nothing actually wrong with, sometimes people don't understand a product or can't work it out and just blame the product, sometimes that's due to poor ergonomics, poor design, lack of instructions, other times it's just people being people, it's a very real cost to a business though

quite a lot of returns come back that there's nothing actually wrong with, sometimes people don't understand a product or can't work it out and just blame the product,.... other times it's just people being people, it's a very real cost to a business though
You can see this a lot by reading on-line product reviews. People even admit to their own ignorance - "I couldn't figure out how to use it so I gave it a 1 star rating." :(

I've even seen professional reviews done by reputable magazines down grade a product because the "technology was so new I had to work too hard to get it to do what I wanted". Case in point being the infotainment systems in new cars almost always get rated low because of the learning curve - regardless of how well they function once you learn them.

You can see this a lot by reading on-line product reviews. People even admit to their own ignorance - "I couldn't figure out how to use it so I gave it a 1 star rating." :(

I've even seen professional reviews done by reputable magazines down grade a product because the "technology was so new I had to work too hard to get it to do what I wanted". Case in point being the infotainment systems in new cars almost always get rated low because of the learning curve - regardless of how well they function once you learn them.
I don't know anyone who actually reads the instruction's manual, be it a home appliance or a high-tech car (not so much with dashcams, because we all know 90% of the IMs are completely useless). Then when they come to me with problems to solve or things they want to work but don't know how and I ask for the instruction's manual, they always give the "oh, I could have done that" look... Yeah, but they didn't! :mad:

I don't know anyone who actually reads the instruction's manual, be it a home appliance or a high-tech car (not so much with dashcams, because we all know 90% of the IMs are completely useless). Then when they come to me with problems to solve or things they want to work but don't know how and I ask for the instruction's manual, they always give the "oh, I could have done that" look... Yeah, but they didn't! :mad:
Agree, pretty normal for most of us :)

I don't know anyone who actually reads the instruction's manual,...:mad:
You do now - me. ;)

Sounds kind of dumb but I really do read the owner's manual for just about everything I buy. The exception being if I buy 2 A118-C cameras I'll only read 1 manual. :D

You do now - me. ;)
I knew someone else long before you: me. :D But of course, that's implied. :rolleyes:

Sounds kind of dumb but I really do read the owner's manual for just about everything I buy.
You're absolutely right. It sounds kind of dumb to 90% of people!
I also read them all, even if just to confirm that there's anything in them that I didn't already know. :D

They can proberly be cheaper, but i am pretty happy with my 7" asus tablet with intel inside.
But i am not a power user or anything near that, so on the tablet front i am pretty easy to make happy.

It was still so cheap that when i cracked the screen after a fjew months i wasent all sad.

Back