DR500, Installation photos, Plastidip matte black

zapwizard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my DR500 yesterday, and before I even installed it I took it apart.

I removed the chrome lens ring and the silver mount ring. I painted the two parts using spray-on PlastiDip which is a rubber-like matte black substance.

It was very difficult to take apart, first there is a screw hidden under the BlackVue/Wifi label that is impossible to get to without damaging that label. I didn't find this until after I have it 90% apart, I never removed the label, instead I cut away the plastic clip holding one of the sides of the shell to that screw, by doing this you have no visible flaws on the exterior, the assembly is so tight I don't think that screw is needed.
To take it apart you push the small tab that is opposite the product serial label. Even then it takes a lot of effort to get the plastic cap to come off. Do not push a screw-driver into any of the holes on the end of the unit, they are not plastic locking tabs. Pittasoft didn't cut corners on the assembly for sure.

While technically you can get the silver ring off of the mount without firt disassembling the mount, I think you would risk damaging the ring. So I took apart the mount and used the spare adhesive pad to replace the one I removed. Once the mount was apart I could start removing the silver ring by pussing it from the inside. Sorry, I don't have photos of the dis-assembly I was doing this late at night in my office.

I love that the DR500 was small enough to mount behind my rear view mirror, I ran the wire up along with the power to my dimming mirror and you can't tell that the camera isn't factory installed.
The camera seems to get the best view of the road from here too. I am amazed how wide-angle the lens really is. The toll tag on the glass is right next to the mount, yet it is still visible in the captured image. So far I am gladd I upgraded to the DR500. It worked flawlessly from the second I turned it on, which is more then I can say for the cheap DVR207 I first tried using.

Looks great, I'm not sure I want to go through all that effort to make it uniform. (maybe) I read a few other threads where people said they just used a black paint pen. That might get the job done for me with less stress. I don't have a DR500 yet but I'm close to pulling the trigger. If it wasn't for the custom firmware for higher bit rates, and special format app to use 64GB microSD card, I'd probably pass. But yeah I'd like my dashcam to be as stealthy as possible. I have a black smart car, and the rearview mirror is pretty tiny already.

hey zapwizard, should mount it higher on the black dots to make it stealth so not everyone sees it eith just the lens slightly below the bottom of the black strip

I am fussy about things being even and so mine is mounted so that the lens is exactly in the centre of the screen and shows equal amounts of A pillars on each side.
Can only just see the end from the drivers seat

wozzzzza said:
hey zapwizard, should mount it higher on the black dots to make it stealth so not everyone sees it eith just the lens slightly below the bottom of the black strip

I tried putting it right near the edge of the dots, but the mirror hit the mount in that location.

Back