DR500GW-HD vs Lukas 7900 ACE?

zapta

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody. A dashcam newbie here, this is my first post.

Just got a Lukas 7900 ACE based on information on this site. It works reasonably well (still need to test it with highest bitrate, the default one makes it hard to read license plates) but it is large and does not fit well with the overall aesthetic of the ****pit.

I am thinking of trying the more stylish DR500GW-HD but am concerned about reliability issues mentioned here with the BlackVue line (this is why I got the Lukas in the first place). What is the verdict regarding DR500GW-H, is it reasonably reliable? I live in Northern California and the car is dark so it can get hot sometimes.

Thanks.

put it like this, I most probably wouldn't own another blackvue unless they fix heat issues and have better firmware

zapta said:
Hi everybody. A dashcam newbie here, this is my first post.

Just got a Lukas 7900 ACE based on information on this site. It works reasonably well (still need to test it with highest bitrate, the default one makes it hard to read license plates) but it is large and does not fit well with the overall aesthetic of the ****pit.

I am thinking of trying the more stylish DR500GW-HD but am concerned about reliability issues mentioned here with the BlackVue line (this is why I got the Lukas in the first place). What is the verdict regarding DR500GW-H, is it reasonably reliable? I live in Northern California and the car is dark so it can get hot sometimes.

Thanks.

Hey Zapta,

In summary the Blackvue DR500GW excels in terms of performance and as mentioned, exterior design (the best out there). The camera is discreet, compact and offers high quality day and night. Bear in mind, the lens of the blackvue is wide-angle, therefore the perspective output is wider than the standard lens.

Contrary to popular belief, electronic consumables (just like everything else) can fail if not looked after. The blackvue includes an easy-to detach bracket for the windscreen. When away from the vehicle for sometime, it is recommended to remove this... rather than having this exposed in the blistering heat. Common sense.. some may argue otherwise. However, thus far we have not received any reports of over-heating issues.

Regarding the Lukas LK7900. The exterior design is BIG and non-discreet (unless your not bothered). The one aspect which we find fraustrating and be improved is the plastic windscreen mount. Quality wise... standard.

Hope that helps :)

My perception of the Blackvue cameras is that they are adequate for what they are designed for.

I have not had overheating problems in any of the ones I have bought and installed, 6 in total.

I have run them in the heat in Queensland Australia, In the cold in Canada, in 104F in Las Vegas and Monument Valley.

Apart from very minor technical problems associated with a power supply I have had no trouble with any of them.

They are not suitable for filming Hollywood epics if that's what you want. As a dashcam for capturing accidents they do the job.

Like anything they could be better but I and my friends are happy with theirs.

It seems the modified firmware does give better resolution but I haven't bothered as it seems to give other problems in some situations

Hopefully however Blackvue will change back to a lesser wide angle lens in future models as it was not an improvement.

They are tidy and sit behind the mirror out of sight and are quite inconspicuous, even the silver ones aren't too bad.

As I have said before I never bother looking at the captured video unless I have had an occasion whilst driving to cause me to do so.

I format the card about every month and just leave it alone. I cant be bothered uploading my business to Youtube or any of the other "Look at me " sites.

I'll throw Itronics ITB100 SP with 12mbps firmware mod into the mix? Think it can be had for less than $200.

CoreTech said:
Contrary to popular belief, electronic consumables (just like everything else) can fail if not looked after. The blackvue includes an easy-to detach bracket for the windscreen. When away from the vehicle for sometime, it is recommended to remove this... rather than having this exposed in the blistering heat.

Thanks CoreTech. I am looking for zero attention dashcam, similar to my Valentine 1, BT streamer and other stuff in the car. I would expect that a device that is intended to be used in cars would sustain the full temperature range.

jamesbcd said:
I'll throw Itronics ITB100 SP with 12mbps firmware mod into the mix? Think it can be had for less than $200.

Thanks for the pointer. I will take a look.

Back