FAT32 formatting

dougk9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, i periodically take down my two cams, then put the cards in a reader into my desktop just to insure everything's working ok. Well, low and behold, the 64gb scan disc card that has served me so well seems to have stopped recording last week, despite the Vantrue cam being set to "loop". So I'm looking to do a FAT32 reformat online, but everything offered has all kinds of crap that comes with the download and wants to take over my computer! Someone here has pointed me in the right direction before, i was hoping you could help me out again. Thanks.

My Windows computer version doesn't have a FAT32 option. Just the Exfat and NTSF or something. They work fine with a 32gb card.

Fat32 formatter ( DL from streetguardian support link above ) of GUI format ( DL from vifo link above ) will turn your larger memory cards into fat32, i use it myself on a few cameras that will not handle the 64 and 128 Gb cards i put in them unless i have changed their format to fat 32

Doesn't it format ok in your camera or (further to it stopping recording) is it no longer recognised in the camera?

Windows native software won't format anything over 32GB to FAT32. sdformatter works for most folks but the only one which I could get to work on W8.1 was "miniaide formatter.

Phil

Windows native software won't format anything over 32GB to FAT32. sdformatter works for most folks but the only one which I could get to work on W8.1 was "miniaide formatter.

Phil

actually SDFormatter is the official tool from the SD card association which doesn't support formatting large cards as FAT32 either, I'm sure you meant FAT32 formatter/GUIformat though, which are a problem with Windows version later than Win7, I contacted the developer of that software and unfortunately he had no interest in updating the program any further, the 64 bit version does seem a bit less problematic than the 32 bit version on newer versions of Windows and sometimes works, Miniaide Formatter is probably the go for anyone else though

Thank you for those suggestions. Nothing worked. So i went hunting in my computer files and found the fat32 program that worked last year, and guess what? It worked again. Appreciate the help, everyone!

For anyone else that needs a program in Windows I have been using MiniTool Partition Wizard to format larger then 32GB cards to FAT32 for use with my Raspberry Pi lately with no issue. Just be careful so you are formatting the right device as the program allows you to format anything attached to your PC
The program has an ad for another one of their programs in the corner of the the first splash screen, but it is easily ignore able and I have not had any issues.

Doesn't it format ok in your camera
Formatting a card bigger then 32GB in a camera that only supports 32GB will cause problems

FAT32 formatter
Do you mean the one posted awhile back here?

no different one, depending on where you download it from it will either be called FAT32 Formatter or GUI Format
That's good then. Last time I used the one I linked it worked well but that was awhile ago

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I am kind of stunned a camera uses fat32. That was an old format 10 years ago. Why is that format being used to start with?

All memory cards have a theoretical max read and write before they corrupt. Do modern dash cams notify you when there is a card error?

I am kind of stunned a camera uses fat32. That was an old format 10 years ago. Why is that format being used to start with?
I think I have herd that to use exFAT you have to pay Microsoft a license fee since they own it, and some companies do not want to spend the money. I might have herd incorrectly, but a quick search does turn up that exFAT belongs to Microsoft.

I believe there are other filesystems that computers use like EXT3/EXT4 in Linux that falls under the GPL, but for a camera to use them it might have to make its software or firmware open source. Plus there is no Windows support for EXT4 so owners of the camera without a Linux machine would have issues as well.

Last edited:
I never thought about lisencing fees given I am the end user and not a manufacture.

At work we still use serial cables as primary means of communication and finding serial cards or laptops with serial is extremely difficult. USB to serial dongles exist but they have issues.

How does the system get around file size limitations of fat32? Does the camera store video files in smaller chunks and string together when you watch the whole thing?

How does the system get around file size limitations of fat32? Does the camera store video files in smaller chunks and string together when you watch the whole thing?
Depends on the camera. Some will write a file up to the 4GB limit and stop, others will start a 2nd file. Most people use dash cams with a 'loop' function where files are written in 1/2/3/5/10 minute segments and the oldest file is overwritten when the card fills. How they are viewed depends on the S/W being used. Dash cam specific programs will recognize the individual segments and combine them as appropriate into unique 'trips'.

Ok guys, here i thought i had the fat32 issue resolved. Remember, i had discovered that the 64gb sd card had stopped recording suddenly, even though it was set to loop. Tried the card with two different card readers, nothing. Tried viewing individual files on the camera itself, and there's nothing but static. So i go out and buy a new sd card today. When i insert it into the camera and turn on the ignition, the camera screen says to insert an id card, whatever the hell that is. Am i doing something wrong? Does the card need to be formatted prior to use? I can't find the VanTrue manual, and it won't download on my phone. There seems to be no customer support. Any suggestions?

Ok guys, here i thought i had the fat32 issue resolved. Remember, i had discovered that the 64gb sd card had stopped recording suddenly, even though it was set to loop. Tried the card with two different card readers, nothing. Tried viewing individual files on the camera itself, and there's nothing but static. So i go out and buy a new sd card today. When i insert it into the camera and turn on the ignition, the camera screen says to insert an id card, whatever the hell that is. Am i doing something wrong? Does the card need to be formatted prior to use? I can't find the VanTrue manual, and it won't download on my phone. There seems to be no customer support. Any suggestions?
Format the card to FAT32 in a PC and do not format the card in the camera. Try one of the programs mentioned above
What brand is the card?

Sent from my pocket

The formatting was successful. The camera just won't record anymore. I finally downloaded the owners manual, and it says the camera supports UP TO a 32 gb card, so i don't know how ive been having success with a 64 all this time. So i just now got back from the store with a 32 gb card. Well see how it works. Thanks.

Back