Few questions about 0805

Cibik

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After my GS5000 I bought 0805 (GPS, no internal memory) just because of poor night vision of first one. Night video of 0805 is grate comparing to GS5000.
1. I noticed on the camera screen "moare effect" or jagged lines when there is vertical or horizontal thin white objects (e.g. fence boards, lamp posts), no matter of resolution. The same is when play video with Registrator Viewer or any player. Just effect is more noticeable with no "full screen", I mean smaller size, without zoom. On the old camera no similar effect.
I will attach two pictures, note white window edges, vertical house's white parts, horizontal car doors white line or saw toothed post. When play video, these diagonal white/dark strips are moving across the white objects.
Note: What is Moare Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern
or pictures;
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...=X&ei=yXsDVdmRJcb3Ur7EgLgJ&ved=0CDoQ7Ak&dpr=1
2. I think the camera is real 0805 because it has a 2560x1080 30P 21:9 resolution and firmware 20141211 v1.0
-Are both above a criteria it is realy 0805 ?
-Will I get any benefit if upgrade with newer Firmware 20150115 v .01 ?
-May I expect improvement or avoiding above mentioned effect?

3. When I open Registrator Viewer, files download extremely slowly (few minutes) comparing to my previous camera (few seconds). I plug in the micro SD cart (16GB,Class 10) to the laptop using SD adapter.
-Is this normal for this camera?
4. When I use 2560x1080 resolution, video doesn't run smooth (jumping).
- Any possible reason?

P.S. I don't know if is possible to upload/attach short video...Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Window 2015.03.08 08-07-23 (0-00-02.000).jpg Window 2015.03.10 16-32-51 (0-00-10.678).jpg

1. The difference to the old camera is probably just that the image is sharper and better focused. If you are not viewing it full screen then it is the fault of the player, if you are viewing it full screen then you could blame the camera but as a dashcam it is designed to give sharp images when paused while a normal video camera would probably blur the image to some extent to avoid the moire effect. In the case of that fencing even the BBC would have difficulty in totally avoiding moire and would probably have pointed the camera in a different direction in the same way that they ban shirts with fine stripes from their studios. There is nothing wrong with your 0805 there.

2. I doubt you will make any difference to the moire with a firmware update.

3. Try clearing the RV file list - right click on the files and clear file list. The main reason it is slow is that it is scanning the 0805 video files for GPS information, it may take a while for the GPS information to appear in the file list. Some cameras store the GPS info in separate smaller files which is a lot faster but then it can get lost if you copy the video files to another place, the 0805 GPS will get copied/moved with the video files.

4. Your computer is too slow! It will not be an issue with the mini 0805.

If you right click on the video in RV you can save the current frame and then post that, makes it much easier for people to see image quality issues than uploading either a small image or the video.

1.I agree with you probably the camera has no issue but for me video is annoying especially with RV (not full screen). I tried few different players- the effect exists but it is less noticeable because of full screen. It is quite noticeable on the camera screen as well.
I attach few frames and You Tube video. Strange, playing the same file with players effect exists but for the same file you see on You Tube it is hardly noticeable. Note lamp posts on frames and video- it is not moire, they are jagged...
2.OK but what other changes to expect if upgrade to FW 2015...?
3. Yes I saw downloading of the video files in RV takes few seconds but then GPS data takes few minutes.
On my old camera video (.MOV) and GPS (.MAP) files were in the same File.
On 0805 GPS files (.log) are in different File (gps) , video files (.MOV) are in 100MEDIA
4.The laptop is not so bad- Toshiba L500, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM but I am not sure if something wrong with K-Lite codecs...

Attachments

• Frame 2015.03.08 11-58-47 (0-49-01.815).jpg
    Frame 2015.03.08 11-58-47 (0-49-01.815).jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Frame 2015.03.08 12-30-05 (0-04-05.474).jpg
    Frame 2015.03.08 12-30-05 (0-04-05.474).jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Frame 2015.03.10 16-32-56 (0-00-15.033).jpg
    Frame 2015.03.10 16-32-56 (0-00-15.033).jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Frame 2015.03.13 13-03-39 (0-01-31.826).jpg
    Frame 2015.03.13 13-03-39 (0-01-31.826).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 14
1. That does make number plates more readable when paused, you could if you want use a video editor to re-encode the video in the same way YouTube does and reduce the effect, you can chop it down to normal 1080 HD resolution at the same time for display full screen without black bars top and bottom on TV or whatever.

It doesn't help that your lens is so well focussed! In fact it's a pretty good lens overall.

3. Although the gps log files are in a different folder, Registrator Viewer doesn't use those, it reads the GPS data out of the video files instead and unfortunately the 080x cameras scatter the GPS data throughout the files resulting in a lot of card access to retrieve it. There is nothing you can do about it.

4. Some video hardware just isn't designed for cinema mode, even if it is very decent at normal HD video. If you try it on a different computer you may find it works perfectly even if the computer is slower.

Last edited:
copy the files to computer first and then view them with RV, how does it perform then?
I will try this on other family laptops (Toshiba A300) because on my no free space on HDD...

I understood upgrading wouldn't fix my "issue" but wanted to know what other changes/improvements will get? I mean does it worth to do it? I hope will not loose something existing/useful.

Last edited:
The problem may be that you are running your computer with no free space, you should try to keep at least 10% of your main disk drive free or it will spend a lot of time trying to find little spaces to squeeze little bits of files into and can pause either while doing so or when trying to find all the little pieces again later.

I don't know the answer your other question - sorry.

copy the files to computer first and then view them with RV, how does it perform then?
I tried this, no difference. Tried on other laptops, the same...
I still think there is an issue with my camera about small sloped white lines on vertical and horizontal object edges.
See attached frame- lamp posts and house roofs. When play video white lines running across the objects and looks like moire, but is not.
1 Frame 2015.03.23 16-55-56 (0-01-50.586).jpg

I tried this, no difference. Tried on other laptops, the same...
I still think there is an issue with my camera about small sloped white lines on vertical and horizontal object edges.
See attached frame- lamp posts and house roofs. When play video white lines running across the objects and looks like moire, but is not.
View attachment 12019
The issue in that image is nothing to do with the camera, it is caused by the resizing algorithm used to produce the low resolution frame. I don't believe it would be possible for the camera to produce that effect when shown at that resolution.

jokiin said to use RV, is that frame taken from RV? I suspect not, but if it is then try using the menu Playback/Renderer/VMR and see if it improves, if it does then it is probably due to the graphics card in the computer you are using...

jokiin said to use RV, is that frame taken from RV? I suspect not, but if it is then try using the menu Playback/Renderer/VMR and see if it improves, if it does then it is probably due to the graphics card in the computer you are using...
Yes I use RV, the resolution is 1920x1080. Have not files with other resolution at the moment but when I tried better resolution video "jumped" (not smooth running) for any other reason, so I decided to keep 1920x1080. I attach two frames with VMR and EVR, no big difference... Can't take a frame by Render " Simple" but picture is the same.
I tried few laptops and players, two brands SD cards -effect exists, just when it is "Full screen" mode effect is less noticeable but exists.
I am concerned because nobody here doesn't report similar effect. I watched many 0805 You Tube videos and didn't notice something like this.
Unfortunately no other 0805 to compare which is the easiest way to see if it is camera issue.
Anyway for now I am happy just of night video...
If there is somebody else by chance from Bristol UK let me know please.

Try reducing the resolution to FullHD and see if the "Jaggies" disappear. 2560x1080 is pretty pointless and seems to just eat twice the disc space with zero payback.

Try reducing the resolution to FullHD and see if the "Jaggies" disappear.
Which resolution is FillHD ?
2560x1080 is pretty pointless and seems to just eat twice the disc space with zero payback.
I don't use 2560x1080, I use 1920x1080

Ahh right, so looks like you're using it.. just that you mentioned 2560. I have to say there are huge expectations by some on the quality to be delivered by the very small and cheap sensor and optics on these cams; frankly I'm amazed how good the video is in all conditions; the stills on all resolutions I've found to be very poor compared to a phone cam. I would add if you got the cam from Amazon, perhaps you should return it and get a replacement; the quality on the first 0805 I got was dreadful; this one is great...

I would add if you got the cam from Amazon, perhaps you should return it and get a replacement; the quality on the first 0805 I got was dreadful; this one is great...
I bought it more then a month ago from eBay, so it is hard to return it to China or so...

I bought it more then a month ago from eBay, so it is hard to return it to China or so...

That's annoying.... Why don't you email the seller through the ebay system so its tracked, tell them it's not working correctly and ask them for a solution?

Have you tried 2560x1080?

I would expect the 2560x1080 mode to have smoother diagonal lines since it is at the native sensor resolution, the lesser modes are scaled down which inevitably causes some unevenness in straight lines and if you then scale down again for display you get a slight mess of a slight mess.

I'd give is a go, but 2560x1080 kills my very old ATI graphics card, causing a Win7 blue screen via Registrator Viewer. 2560x1080 will work via VLC and the test vids I made on 1920 and 2560 seem to have identical resolutions, just with a letterbox shape?

Have you tried 2560x1080?

I would expect the 2560x1080 mode to have smoother diagonal lines since it is at the native sensor resolution, the lesser modes are scaled down which inevitably causes some unevenness in straight lines and if you then scale down again for display you get a slight mess of a slight mess.
I will try all resolutions one by one every day to see the difference but I expect for this modern camera to be good enough at any menu settings...
I tried to play video on TV by HDMI cable- effect is much, much less noticeable but exists.

Your camera is OK.
The problem you see is already described here:
The issue in that image is nothing to do with the camera, it is caused by the resizing algorithm used to produce the low resolution frame.
The resizing algorithm is done by PC or player.

If you want to take real screenshots you can use MPC-HC and by pressing the Alt+i and saving as PNG you will obtain the real quality of the video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Your camera is OK.
The problem you see is already described here:

The resizing algorithm is done by PC or player.

If you want to take real screenshots you can use MPC-HC and by pressing the Alt+i and saving as PNG you will obtain the real quality of the video.

enjoy,
Mtz
As I said issue exists as well when play video on TV by HDMI cable...just is less noticeable.
I did PNG file as you advise me- the same situation.(see more distant lamp posts or white window frames)
Everybody uses players and resizing but nobody reported similar problem and pictures here.
AMBA0237.MOV_snapshot_00.05_[2015.03.25_22.06.34].png

Last edited:
Back