Firmware updates, but no computer ?

SR14626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini - Blackvue 900S
I have a blackvue dashcam now, but considering a Viofo A119 mini later on, but I do have a problem. With the blackvue Dash cam, I can update the firmware via the dash cam itself with my blackvue app on my iPhone & WiFi, but for the life of me, I cannot find anything similar for the Viafo. All I have now is the iPhone and iPad and that’s it. Is there anyone out there that knows something about how I can update a firmware later on without a computer?

I'm in the same boat.
I don't have a Windows PC, or a Mac computer.
I use a cheap $99 Chromebook to do firmware updates on my dash cams.
You can find them on sale at Costco, Walmart, Amazon etc. or check black Friday ads next month.
-Chuck

I don't see why it would require a computer (but then again, I don't really use Apple)?.

If you had Android, I would have said...
  1. Format your reader in the dashcam
  2. Then get one of those USB-C to SDcard reader thingy from Amazon and hook it to your phone. Insert SDcard into the USB-C to SDcard reader.
  3. Your phone should be able to read the SDcard, so just copy and paste the firmware from the download section of your phone (or wherever you kept the firmware that you downloaded) into the SDcard.
  4. If your phone can't read it, then you may need to download an app called "Solid Explorer". You can use "Solid Explorer" to copy or move the firmware file from your phone to the SDcard.
  5. Insert SDcard into dashcam, then turn on dashcam, and it will update. Just make sure that it does not lose power during this update process by keeping your car running and viola!
Again, not sure how to do this on Apple but I'm hoping that they should have something similar?

I tend to keep my dashcam footage for 6 months, just in case.

Without a PC, or similar, with a large storage capacity, that would be tricky.

Thank you for some of your help on this matter. I know sometimes updates are not really required unless it really affects the usability of the dash cam so I may just have to go get myself one of those cheap chrome books or keep my blackvue dash cam, and just use my iPhone to update using Wi-Fi that I’ve been using for some time now and works well for me.

I cannot find anything similar for the Viafo.
If you read the second half of this, then it tells you how to use the Viofo app on your iPhone to update some models of camera over wifi, but not all. I have no idea which can currently be updated by the app.

If that can't do it then you can download the firmware file and put it on a 32GB or smaller memory card, then insert the card into the dashcam. The iPhone is capable of writing to memory cards, using the necessary adaptor, and I guess your iPad can write via any USB-C memory card reader, although I have never tried it. Must be someone here that has?

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about updating firmware on Viofo cameras, firmware updates tend to be improvements and extras rather than essential bug fixes. They don't release dashcams until they can function reliably as a dashcam. Maybe best not to get the very latest model on pre-order, but once production cameras have been reviewed by a few people then don't worry.

Thank you Nigel. Will do the below…….

1. Connect with VIOFO dashcam Wi-Fi and open the VIOFO app.

2. Choose ‘Firmware’ on the main menu, click ‘OK’ all the time until it shows please wait for the dashcam to restart.

3. Then you could see the red flashing LED indicator which means the dashcam starts upgrading. The whole process may exist for the 30s- 1min.

4. When the dashcam restarts or goes into card reading mode, the dashcam has already upgraded the firmware successfully.”

Back