First week with SG9665GC V3 - some questions

We had the first sunny days over here and it seems that in bright light with sun coming from behind everything looks a bit blurry. Windscreen is clean, polarizer is attached. In the morning or late afternoon hours overall video brightness is lower but sharpness seems to be higher. If this behavior is known I am fine - otherwise I will create some screenshots.

looks as expected for the lighting at the time

The differences I see:

88 second vs 205 second: trees look crisper against the cloudy/brigher sky and softer against the blue sky. The back of the sign (behind the third foreground tree from the left in 205s) lacks detail and definition in the brightly lit shot. Are these just blown highlights?

179 second vs 100 second: The yellow sign w/green writing on the right side of the road (partially hidden by the silver car on the cloudy day) is much sharper on the sunny day.

If that is as expected and the cam works normally then I am happy. Still feeling curious as I was expecting the videos in bright light to have shorter exposure, hence less motion blur. Or are those areas mentioned above simply too bright (blown highlights/color channel)?

lighting will always impact the results one way or another, if you adjust the camera to perform great in very bright light then it will suck in low light, likewise if you do the other way around, it's about finding a balance that is workable for the widest range of situations

OK, thanks for the explanation and the confirmation that the cam is doing well. Another happy customer - even more with motion detection switched off ;)

2) The max speed displayed in both applications is 184km/h - that's fast but not fast enough for our autobahn :) Is that a bug or a feature?

Hi Torsten, are you able to supply a sample video where the speed stops showing over 184kmh? Ideally something where you are doing less than 184 and then accelerating above 184, we can't create a test file here (without risking jail time) so need your help with a sample file if you could, if you can find a suitable section of video and upload the entire segment would be very helpful

That's weird! I just noticed that the files recorded after the 10s gap work as usual in datakam and registrator viewer but apparently dashcamviewer has problems processing the GPS info. The map position is not updated, speed is constant across a full file and the route is not shown. The speed overlay in the movie files is working properly.

Sorry about that. Send me the problematic movie file and I will address the issue in Dashcam Viewer. See the FAQ question #1 for how to send me files.

At first I couldn't tell the difference in video quality between my two SG9665GC V2's and my three SG9665GC V3's.
Day time, I can't tell the difference.
However, now when I do a back to back comparison night time, I find that the newer V3's have a slightly sharper, and maybe brighter video than the older V2's.
Am I right? Or am is it just my imagination?

During the previous weeks I always had the feeling that on sunny, i.e. warm days video quality was degrading. I noticed a slight softness but was not sure whether it might be the lens having trouble with strong sunlight. Well, today was the first warm day with outside temperatures of 25degC (what the car said) - inside the car it was much hotter. The first thing I noticed was that the camera was dangling down, as the mounting plate had separated from the 3M tape. Unfortunately I have no spare tape left (the one with the arrow shape, not the rectangular one) :(

When I looked at the videos I was almost knocked off my feet (it took me a few meters to understand the camera was not where it was supposed to be)

2017_0511_150951_042.MOV - 42 second.jpeg
2017_0511_150951_042.MOV - 60 second.jpeg
2017_0511_150951_042.MOV - 95 second.jpeg
The same location on the previous day (10degC cooler outside)
2017_0510_173152_029.MOV - 95 second.jpeg
I am really worried what will happen in summer! Even this softness here is hard to accept.

do you have the camera recording while parked at all?

contact the seller in Germany where you bought it for some spare tape, if any problem please let me know

This one here was taken while the car was parked. If you need the full movie I can upload it.
2017_0511_150951_042.MOV - 8 second.jpeg

Ah, I think now I understand... No, the camera shuts down a couple of minutes after the car is locked. The frame above was taken from the first seconds after I opened the door but before driving.

I can only offer the same view when I parked the car in the morning. What I could try is to keep the camera on tomorrow and feed it from a USB power bank. Would that help?

Could be also the case of 3M tape application steps / procedure.

About the 3M adhesive sticky mount:

1) Be sure you clean the window first.

2) When you apply the stick base to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the camera. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while.

To make sure you have accurate automatic date/time, you should offset an additional one hour to compensate for "Summer Time" or Fall/Winter daylight savings time DST months

What I could try is to keep the camera on tomorrow and feed it from a USB power bank. Would that help?

no, leaving it recording while parked in the sun is not something you should do

is that screenshot above from when the camera fell down?

The adhesive is still on the windscreen - it's the plastic that came off the adhesive :)

no, leaving it recording while parked in the sun is not something you should do

is that screenshot above from when the camera fell down?

It fell down (not completely - still held by the USB & GPS cables) while I was in the office. When I came back I started driving and noticed the dangling camera a minute later. I simply pressed it against the adhesive and luckily it stayed there.

Back