Force to move/remove magnet held Camera.

Ps when you get the magnets try drop one thru a non magnetic pipe of sorts ( cupper or aluminum ), you will see wondrous things happen.

That's cool. Here's another interesting thing to do. (Saw this after viewing the one you posted.)

Induction, that right there is sort of a boosted microwave oven.

I think these days induction furnace is what all steel mills use, its also what the firm used to harden our axles for the gears in the company i worked in.

Easier to control temperatures that's crucial when tempering something.

Just measured one. It is 1-1/8 inches long x 3/4 inches wide x 3/8 inch thick - 30mm x 20mm x 10mm

It is THIS one on Banggood.

Here's one of them holding my DIY Mobius Eyeball Cam on a piece of glass for the photo.

View attachment 26388
That is a very strong magnet, how many times has it "bit" you ? Do they send you these with separators if you are getting more then 1 ?
Now I know why you had trouble getting it off the refrigerator, LOL, I'm surprised you did get it to slide off.

I weighed the Mobius and Helmet mount today, 3 oz. I think that magnet would be over kill for mounting to a straight/flat piece of metal like a window frame or something similar, however I say this from reading, with no practical experience. I can see now that you have been playing around with neodymium for quite some time:D

Those prices on Banggood beat everyone!

Check this out ot the man with a magnet on his hand, gross :oops:

That is a very strong magnet, how many times has it "bit" you ? Do they send you these with separators if you are getting more then 1 ?
Now I know why you had trouble getting it off the refrigerator, LOL, I'm surprised you did get it to slide off.

I weighed the Mobius and Helmet mount today, 3 oz. I think that magnet would be over kill for mounting to a straight/flat piece of metal like a window frame or something similar, however I say this from reading, with no practical experience. I can see now that you have been playing around with neodymium for quite some time:D

Those prices on Banggood beat everyone!

Those magnets aren't that bad to deal with actually and they haven't "bit" me or anything like that. As I mentioned, I had a couple of slightly smaller ones break after deciding to smash against one another unexpectedly from about eight or so inches apart while working with them on my kitchen table. You do need to be careful with them. If I stick the 30mm x 20mm x 10mm ones on the refrigerator I usually just don't use the largest flat surface so they are easier to grab and have less surface against the steel door.

Those magnets came packaged in a couple of layers of bubble wrap but I don't actually recall if they were separated. It would have been just a layer of bubble wrap and thin foam if they were. The thing with these powerful magnets is that if you try to pull them apart directly you will have a hard time, even with the much smaller ones. Generally, they are fairly easy to slide sideways off of one another to gain some leverage and they become much easier to separate. Yeah, I've been playing around with magnets since I was a little kid and got a horseshoe magnet as a gift. After that it was off to the races with all kinds of magnets including building my own electro-magnets that I could control with my electric train transformer. I was kind of a geeky mad scientist type as a kid and was lucky to have survived my youth! - like the time I built a gasoline powered flame thrower in the back yard. :D Nowadays, I get to play with "adult" magnets like these bigger neodymiums.....much safer than pyrotechnics, rockets and explosives! :)

I think the thing to do would be to buy a couple of modest priced neodymium magnets from Banggood in different sizes and get a hands-on feel for how well they attract and hold. They can be a lot of fun to mess round with.

Edit: The thing with mounting a Mobius or any other dash cam with neodymium magnets is not to just have enough magnetic holding power to hold the camera in place but to have enough holding power to keep it in place if you have to stop very quickly or are unfortunate enough to be involved in a traffic mishap. That's why you'll want something stronger than you may think you need at this point in the process.

Last edited:
So, this conversation got me wondering just how big a magnet I could actually find to buy on the internet and I came up with this!

6 inches x 4 inches x 2 inches - N48 - NdFeB - Pull Force: 1,082.2 pounds!

One could do all kinds of diabolical things with one of these, like stick it on the front bumper of someone's car and next thing you know they'll end up rear ending the car in front of them in traffic wondering what the hell just happened! :cool:
Then it would be amusing to watch what happens when the tow truck arrives. (need to find where my ex-wife parks her car :D)

(disclaimer: this is 'sposed to be satire - don't try this at home;))

https://www.apexmagnets.com/6-x-4-x-2-block

megamagnet.jpg

I want to sandwich my enemies between 2 of those :D that should give the CSI guys a little to think about.

Speaking of electro-magnets I'm reminded of one of my favorite scenes (among many) from Breaking Bad where Walter White and Jesse, et al., use a giant electro-magnet to erase an incriminating hard drive locked up in the evidence room at police headquarters. :)

I never saw that series, but maybe if it air on regular TV one day.

I do like the railguns USN is "playing" with, that's some serious stuff :cool:

I never saw that series, but maybe if it air on regular TV one day.

If you look around on the internet, you'll see that quite a few respectable sources rate it as one of the best TV dramas of all time, and rightfully so. Definitely worth catching if you have the chance. It ran for 5 seasons.

Yeah there was a lot of talk when it ran, and even i heard about it and its not like i see a lot of ppl.

Actually i think the unabomber saw more ppl than i do :)

Speaking of electro-magnets I'm reminded of one of my favorite scenes (among many) from Breaking Bad where Walter White and Jesse, et al., use a giant electro-magnet to erase an incriminating hard drive locked up in the evidence room at police headquarters. :)

I'm going to look for that tonight series tonight, very cool!

What you said about getting a few and seeing what they actually do sounds like a good plan, thanks.

When you need some different sized discs/rectangle for magnets where do you get them or can you use regular steel washers. I was looking for them today and all I could find was minium buy places like a 100 or 1000 of the same thing per order ?

Last edited:
I'm going to look for that tonight series tonight, very cool!

What you said about getting a few and seeing what they actually do sounds like a good plan, thanks.

When you need some different sized discs/rectangle for magnets where do you get them or can you use regular steel washers. I was looking for them today and all I could find was minium buy places like a 100 or 1000 of the same thing per order ?

If you mean steel blanks or metal parts, try a local hardware store. Some places carry stuff like that. Home Depot also might be a source. As for me I have a whole barn and workshop full of junk I've collected over the years and if I dig around long enough I usually come up with just what I need. It's a running joke around here but true! :)

So, I just posted a place to where you can watch the whole series if you don't mind some commercials. If you're handy with script blocking and Ad blockers you can watch everything in the clear! ;) There are a bunch of web sites like that where you can watch any TV series you want for free! Just make sure to use caution with these sites regarding security! You need a well defended computer and some savvy.

Last edited:
After 5 seasons with Mr. White, the much hyped spin-off Better call Saul; went down the drain after the first few episodes, at least for me. Narcos is good.

Edit:

I'm still on the 3rd episode, the reaction to the dog being shot and the tree hanging scene with Pablo are priceless.

Last edited:
After 5 seasons with Mr. White, the much hyped spin-off Better call Saul; went down the drain after the first few episodes, at least for me. Narcos is good.

Edit:

I'm still on the 3rd episode, the reaction to the dog being shot and the tree hanging scene with Pablo are priceless.

I've rather enjoyed Better Call Saul but my enjoyment is based on that fact that it is a prequel and the knowledge that nothing was going to be likely to ever top Breaking Bad.

You put a circular magnet on both surfaces, then as long as you get them the correct way up you have twice the hold, plus if you go over a pothole causing the camera to slide sideways a little, it will always return to the correct position because two circular magnets are self centering. With one magnet plus a washer each pothole will cause it to slide a little further out of position.

Back